Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blown sparkplug and insert
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsirspeedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

So I had a sparkplug launch its self out the other day and found that it already had a threaded insert that came with it. I tried to screw it back in but it only spins. I know there are kits and things to fix a normal sparkplug whole but is there one for a blown insert as well, maybe an extra large option? if not do i need to get a new head?

the hole

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its way bigger than the other sparkplug holes obviously

oh also when i way removing the engine the driverside nut was missing and had this weird circle thing on it. i ended up having to cut it off. not sure what or why it was put there.

[/img]
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

kingsirspeedy wrote:
oh also when i way removing the engine the driverside nut was missing and had this weird circle thing on it. i ended up having to cut it off. not sure what or why it was put there.

It's a captive nut... you remove it from the tranaxle side, it's as 17mm hex bolt.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Depending on the size of plug hole you have, Time-Sert makes what is called a Big Sert just for situations like yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Captive nut engine case.
Close-up photo.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
Captive nut engine case.

Your impatience here hurt you....

Agree that TimeSert has oversize spark plug inserts.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

My dad stuffed a door handle (beehive type) spring over the spark plug, (small end over the plug) stuff the plug in there & thread the spring in until it pins itself under the engine tin.
I'm not recommending this, but I was amazed, the guy has been driving the bug for the last few years and drives by our shop all the time. The engine actually sounds good driving by & running on 4 cylinders.

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

You should be able to get the oversize insert for the plug and you may be lucky enough to find a junk case somewhere to get that nutsert from, if you did not destroy the hole in the process of beating it out. Otherwise you are going to have fun putting the bolt in and holding it while putting a nut on.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
My dad stuffed a door handle (beehive type) spring over the spark plug, (small end over the plug) stuff the plug in there & thread the spring in until it pins itself under the engine tin.
I'm not recommending this, but I was amazed, the guy has been driving the bug for the last few years and drives by our shop all the time. The engine actually sounds good driving by & running on 4 cylinders.

Conrad

I like his creativity and ingenuity.

I've done some pretty 'sketchy' things myself in the past just to keep going. It's amazing how you can keep these Bugs alive and moving when you need to with just a little creativity and ingenuity.

Not sure I'd go as far your Dad, but hat's off to Pops anyway. Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Look for a mechanic with TimeSerts and the tools for their install.

Or remove the cylinder head and have a machine shop repair it, or just buy a new cylinder head. This is not the end of the world.

I run a solid threaded insert on #2 in my 1835cc engine, has been fine for over a decade now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Just curious... if the spark plug hole is already too large for even the oversized TimeSert, is it possible to weld the spark plug hole closed/smaller and then tap new threads into the weld material to form a spark plug hole almost as good as new.
I'd imagine you would also need to form the flat seat that the spark plug washer/gasket seals against. Is there a specific cutter for this seat? I'd imagine such work would be done at a machine shop.

Would this welding and cutting a new spark plug hole cost more than what a new/rebuilt head would cost? I found new and rebuilt DP heads for around $250. This is probably a question for someone who works in a machine shop?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
kingsirspeedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Ovally wrote:
Captive nut engine case.

Your impatience here hurt you....

Agree that TimeSert has oversize spark plug inserts.

yes yes it has ;-;
kingsirspeedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Do you think i should attempt to install a new captive nut or just use a normal nut and bolt. there is no dog house to get in the way in my case. I see I need to stop being so hasty with things, hind sight and all that.
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Post a picture of what's left on the case. You might also have to change your user name🤪
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

kingsirspeedy wrote:
Do you think i should attempt to install a new captive nut or just use a normal nut and bolt. there is no dog house to get in the way in my case.

In your instance, I'd just use a bolt and nut.

Even with a doghouse set-up, if one removes the two small tins on the hidden side, a nut can be used there instead of insert. But the captive insert is easier.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

Or just replace the captive nut with a new one.
https://wolfgangint.com/case-components/2883-engine-case-nut-insert-111199102.html

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

kingsirspeedy wrote:
Do you think i should attempt to install a new captive nut or just use a normal nut and bolt. there is no dog house to get in the way in my case.

I'm gonna vote the opposite from Cusser. Smile
That captive nut means you can install that engine bolt completely from below the car without a helper or something to hold the nut in place. I'm often working by myself so anything that prevents me from having to ask my wife for help is one less favor I need to pay her back Razz

I'd go with a replacement captive nut even if it meant epoxying it in place. But that is just me.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

X2 for the captive nut. The double nut is an absolute pain by yourself. I have large hands, so I have an extremely hard time getting the doghouse tin off there with the engine in the car.

Something to think about if you go to a doghouse fan setup.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown sparkplug and insert Reply with quote

https://wolfgangint.com/case-components/2883-engine-case-nut-insert-111199102.html

The correct VW number of the captive nut is 111101135 and not 111199102 as incorrectly stated in the link.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: