Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

zgomo wrote:
Dumb question for y'all. How important are the transmission mounts? Mine are clearly dry rotted, but I really (emphasis on really) do not want to pull the trans.

For the two rear mounts, the transmission does NOT need to be pulled to replace those, just remove the engine and raise the transmission a couple of inches. On my VWs, the big nuts use a 27mm socket.

For the front mount - and mine was still in decent shape after 46 years - some state that the transmission can just be pulled rearward to replace it. From your photo below - and congrats on wearing safety glasses - you have IRS so you'd need the 8M triple square wrench if you do remove the entire transmission.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
zgomo wrote:
Dumb question for y'all. How important are the transmission mounts? Mine are clearly dry rotted, but I really (emphasis on really) do not want to pull the trans.

For the two rear mounts, the transmission does NOT need to be pulled to replace those, just remove the engine and raise the transmission a couple of inches. On my VWs, the big nuts use a 27mm socket.

For the front mount - and mine was still in decent shape after 46 years - some state that the transmission can just be pulled rearward to replace it. From your photo below - and congrats on wearing safety glasses - you have IRS so you'd need the 8M triple square wrench if you do remove the entire transmission.

Thanks guys. I'll see about replacing the rears, the front one is in somewhat better condition.
Gor77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hi all.
I have a stupid question about the alternator
Does my alternator require a voltage regulator.
alternator without nameplates and inscriptions
engine 1969

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

No Sir. You have an internal regulator. Excite the stator with the male tab sticking up and charge the battery with the stud connection.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yungnewb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

i have a 94 mexi-beetle with a SA transmission that is leaking at the side plate. can i loosen the side plate while in the car and seal it with permatex or a similar sealant/gasket maker? if so what sealant/gasket maker? if not what should i do?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone ever installed an *electric* air conditioner in a Super Beetle? Rather than one like the Gilmore system? I'm thinking of the systems that use an electric compressor and only require a 90 amp alternator, so no need to modify the shroud and add brackets for a mechanical/belt-driven compressor in the engine compartment.

Kind of like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Electric-Conditioner-Compressor-Motorhome/dp/B09GP9RNYZ

or
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-System-Electric-A...&psc=1

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Purple Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid question: what is this? Some kind of sensor just below & in front of the dizzy. There is no wire attached, should there be?

Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Purple Martin wrote:
Stupid question: what is this? Some kind of sensor just below & in front of the dizzy. There is no wire attached, should there be?

That's your oil pressure sender, and yes there should be a wire attached. It will go to the oil pressure warning light on the speedo.
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Purple Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll fix that.
Purple Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Next stupid question: what is this broken black rubber round thing, located on the top-right-front of the case?

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Remnants of the Top Dead Center sensor that was part of the diagnostic system used in the early-mid 70s.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Purple Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Remnants of the Top Dead Center sensor that was part of the diagnostic system used in the early-mid 70s.

Thanks, with your help I found more info about it here: https://ratwell.com/technical/TDCMarker.html
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm installing a Thunderbird header on my '74 Super. Is there any value to using header wrap or header armor on a header?

Or it this just inviting rust...? This will be on a heavily driven, all-weather driving Super.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I'm installing a Thunderbird header on my '74 Super. Is there any value to using header wrap or header armor on a header?

Or it this just inviting rust...? This will be on a heavily driven, all-weather driving Super.

Ceramic coat it. And you can wrap it.

Painted, leave it bare.

Better yet. Sand it down and paint it with VHT High heat header paint. Make sure to follow the curing instructions. It makes a difference.

The burning question is. Where'd ya find that relic?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Heh heh, I found it here in the classifieds! I think the seller still has an ad up. I already cleaned it up and painted it w/VHD so am just going to stick w/that.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Another dumb question about the header - I missed that the hole for the top exhaust stud is too deep for normal head studs. I'm not having a lot of luck finding a stud that's long enough, figure I need at least 65mm in length for it to make it through the header so I can catch the nut.

Or can I remove the stud and replace it w/a bolt like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Threaded-Socket-Finis...3&th=1

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Victor,
You keep serving up softballs to hit out of the park. Very Happy

Get the same bolt at Ace Hardware, and cut off the hex head.
Install your new stud in the head and call it a day.

Using a bolt for the header is risking stripping the threads out of the head in the future.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Lol, I'll keep throwing softballs if you keep hittin' 'em!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Lol, I'll keep throwing softballs if you keep hittin' 'em!
Very Happy

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am trying to diagnose/rectify abrupt clutch engagement near top of pedal travel.

To date have replaced nosecone, trans mounts, clutch and T/O bearing.
Also have installed a *refurbished* German pedal assy. The old assy was a rewelded mess.
Added a spacer to Bowden tube. Readjusted pedal freeplay to 1/2".
Transaxle: AH, appears unmolested and sound.

What are the differences between these clutch pedal shafts?

113 721 305A ('46-'63)
113 721 305B ('64-'72)
111 721 305B ('73-'79)

Are they interchangeable?
If (inadvertently) mismatched, how would clutch engagement be affected?

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 114 of 129

Jump to: