Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Ghia disc brakes on Thing beam
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Installing Ghia disc brakes on Thing beam Reply with quote

I understand there exists an adapter that allows installation of stock Ghia disc brakes on a Thing beam. Can anyone tell me what it is called and where I can get them? I am assuming it increases the distance between the front tires. By how much? Anything else I should know about this? Backing plate issues?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Ghia disc brakes on Thing beam Reply with quote

Here is an example:
https://www2.cip1.com/c13-22-2975-7/

Keep in mind that the front disc brake rotors (or front brake drums) are located by the spindles and front wheel bearings. So the brackets themselves have no effect on front track. While there might be a difference between the wheel mounting surface on drums vs. rotors, it is insignificant.
According to the owners' manuals, the '73 Ghia front track is 51.3", while the '73 Thing front track is 53", Standard Beetle is 52". However, the owners' manuals do not specify the reference points for their track measurement... Is it the wheel mounting face, the center of the tires, or some other reference.

Anyway, if you chose to use Karmann Ghia dust shields on Thing spindles, some modification to the dust shields is needed, but it is not very difficult.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: