Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: 15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim Reply with quote

guys came across this rim in my garage can you guys tell me anything from the stamps on it other than its a 15"x4" kpz riveted rim?
stamps say the following:205/5/33/1
the other looks like 456A ?
do these date the wheel?
any info would be great as im gonna sell it but want to know what its worth if anything?thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Riveted 15 inch wheel Reply with quote

I just checked the one riveted KP 15 wheel I have here at my house and there is a date stamp in the bolt hole area.
On yours it might just be faintly stamped (or full of paint?)

You should check yours again to see if you can read a date of manufacture.
Also, depending on the date and price you have in mind, I would be interested in getting that wheel from you.
Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dude I'm in the UK so god knows how much ppostage would be?
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: 15 inch riveted rim Reply with quote

Yes, perhaps this is a case where the "prize" belongs to another.
But still, the date of mfg date will be interesting to know.
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys i found this rim as i say and have taken some sanding pads to it in various places and have came up with several stamp on the rim these r on the outer face
we have the normal kpz in a circle
there is a faint vw sign
next what to me looks like a size ?205/5/33/1
then another which is S 456 A
inside the rim the normal name and size but next to it is a faint which i believe to be date ???2 51 does this make it a feb 51?? the 5 is very faint on pic. pics below :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

any and all info would be great i love wheels.....but this is for sale as soon as i know what im sellin Laughing
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to say never, but a 1951 wheel would never be a 15", it would be a 16". Maybe a 61 or some special use version... ambulance or taxi?

Last edited by bwaz on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian the last pic shows the 2 and 1 but inbetween is a faint 5 im stumped???
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else have any idea to year of this wheel?
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure this is in fact a VW wheel and not an English Ford wheel? They were 15 inch and riveted.
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the vw stamp on it verifies it as a wide 5 wheel;)
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
do your riveted rims look similar to the one in the photos?
Brian

roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys as far as I know its an early bug rim early 50's and going up for sale god knows Wat its worth if someone can tell me Wat they think is a fair price please let me know thanks
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim Reply with quote

These pics show the apparently uncommon VW, KPZ made wheel, I got with my July 54 Oval Beetle. It's clearly got the VW and KPZ stamps. The rivets are pretty clear but the 205/5/33/2? is not a date stamp I don't think, but what? What does everyone think?
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim Reply with quote

I have also a set of those rims.. exact the same . Kpz made riveted wheels. The combination of 205/5/33 /2 is probably the Bolt patern 205 x5 ( for sure ) and 33 is the ET dimension. How far the center part of the wheel differenc with the exact centre of the wheel.. I do not know the 2.. Sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim Reply with quote

If I remember right on KPZ wheels, the date is often on the inside of the wheel hub so you will have to remove the tire to see it

1950 wheel but same idea

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim Reply with quote

Samba members never cease to amaze me! Great answers even faster than I expected, thanks Everett and Peter. I will remove the tire and find that date. I am wondering if it somehow is the original spare, so most of it's life it was under the hood. It did get used somewhere as the tread is pretty well worn out, but there is very little drying, cracking or weathering. A Dunlop B7 made in Germany, not West Germany. It looks like a tube type valve stem too, and it is holding pressure! 65 years old, seems a very long shot but whatever, the rim will have an inner stamp I'm interested in now.
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim Reply with quote

This answers my question... 6 53 KRONPRINZ 4J X 15 2,5 mm Mol 6. So June of 53. Unfortunately it's the only riveted wheel and the others on the car are later. Another reason to do something besides trying to go back to original and be period correct.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" split beetle wheel kpz riveted rim Reply with quote

Peter max muller vw race car was built in the late 40s and to remind folks his vw car had 15inch drilled wheels ...so yes there were 15inch wheel in the early years but are rare ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: