Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch tube help
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yelempi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Clutch tube help Reply with quote

Replacing the clutch cable on the Sportster, it never had a Bowden tube and the cable was starting to cut into the trans eyelet where the Bowden fits.
The clutch tube extended out from the chassis about six inches, way to long for the Bowden to fit.
So I cut it off, figuring the p.o. never cut it after shortening the chassis.
After cutting it to the right length, I found it loose, sticking my finger in the pedal opening I couldn’t find the tube. Getting pliers on the stub and twisting I find the tube is broke loose from the mounts. Trying to pull it out thru the back, it jams up with part of the middle bracket.
Any suggestions on how to capture this tube and pull out thru the front to replace the tube?
Or should I try to braze/ weld and reattach the cut off piece and and repair the mountings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch tube help Reply with quote

There are 3 points where the clutch tube attaches inside the tunnel. One just aft of the hole the pedal assembly passes through one just in front of the e-brake and another in the rear near the shift coupler.
Some people use a hole saw to cut out 3” circles to reach in and repair, others have removed the entire bottom of the tunnel. The latter were replacing or repairing all the tubes in the tunnel.
It’s still not easy any way you choose.

You can try pushing an electricians fish tape in through the rear and with a hook to grab the tape and see how loose it is

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch tube help Reply with quote

May 2000 HVWs has a clutch tube repair article
October 2001 VW Trends also did an article

Both are on eBay if you search for them. basically, without looking, you have to locate the spot welds and reattach the bracket(s) where they came loose. I can't remember if there is a tack weld at the brace inside the tunnel aft of the clutch hook. Also, there is a bend in the tube within the tunnel that acts much like the Bowden tube outside. When the bracket within the cavity comes loose in the e brake area it plays havoc with shifting. One of those articles discusses that
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch tube help Reply with quote

I think the last one I repaired I was able to tack the tube up front through the pedal hole - I had the pan on sawhorses though. Perhaps I cut a small hole to get the mig head in there and looked through the pedal hole to weld it. (been awhile)You don't need to make a big hack job on this procedure if you think smart. The one by the e brake I drilled a hole where the bracket came loose ( the spot weld indent ) and pushed it up to the hole and plug welded it in place. You will know it when you see it. feel for the tube bracket that is crimped on the tube in there.The spot weld will be on the outside of the tunnel and you will see it with some sand paper. The aft spot the tube is welded at
is under the shifter plate and is the easy one to get at but that is rarely broke loose there it has a bead of weld from the factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: