Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 trans into a 912
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Three56SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: 914 trans into a 912 Reply with quote

I have a 914 trans with the early style shifter, so from the early '70s. I understand that the 914 trans had higher gear ratio 4th and 5th gears which are sought after to improve the rpm situation when cruising on the highway.
Is it possible to convert the 914 trans to fit to the 912. I presume the diff and ring gear need to be turned around and a 901 nose piece and hockey stick installed.
Are the shift fork rods different beyond the hockey stick? (914 to 901)
Can the existing ring gear and carrier be turned around as above? (with backlash set, of course)
Did the early 914 trans have the higher gear ratio 4th and 5th as I believe?
Should I be reported to the county mental health professionals?

If you've been down this road, please share your experiences.
Thanks!
Greg
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 914 trans into a 912 Reply with quote

the only reason to do it is if you have a four speed, other than that the ratio is the same so it will be of no benefit, and a hassle to do as you have to turn the ring gear and pinion around and then all of the shifting mechanism and cover
Three56SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 trans into a 912 Reply with quote

I bought a 912 roller several years ago so I need a transmission - the advantage of the 914 trans, I believe, is that it has longer 4th and 5th gears. Converting it is some work, but a good 5-speed is pretty expensive, and I have this 914 trans sitting on my garage floor. I do need to get answers to my questions in post 1 as I'm sure someone has done this before.
I also have a 69 911 trans that I could use too, but the improved gearing is what I'm looking for.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PS - that primer was put on by the po and I have it mostly sanded off now
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 914 trans into a 912 Reply with quote

Here's link to putting a Porsche 5 speed into a VW bug. Much of it applies to using a 914 901-type trans.

https://www.aircooled.net/vw-transmission-porsche-...for%20easy

Using the '69 911's 901 trans would be the easiest. The entire shift linkage will need to be changed - if it was originally equipt with a 4 speed and not the 5 speed.

You should be able to compare the gearing of each online.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: