Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No cylinder tins?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

I saw this Manx for sale and I can't believe that the owner has been running this engine without the tins. How have the heads not cracked? Or maybe they have..
https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/...536%2C2048

Olli
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:
Or maybe they have..

Are you a "betting man"?

I'm not.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

Maybe a 36 horse engine doesn't need much cooling?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

Usually they tell you a buggy is so light and open they dont need tins! Rolling Eyes
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

Really shouldn't listen to "they." Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

There are 9 tins that make up a full set and in reality that's only 2 tins short of what 90% of the Buggies are running... most are 5 to 7 tins short of a full set.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

Meh.......

I have been doing it for decades

Link

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

So have aircraft conversions. With an engine out front in the wind like your bike it's out such a big deal. That bike I suspect rarely requires more that just a touch of throttle at cruise so it's not really making much heat. A light Buggy... maybe... but why?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

Some folks I know who have been racing in the 1600 buggy class in SoCal and Southern Nevada desert racing for many years raced their buggy for 1 season with no tins, no shroud and no fan on the 12.5:1 CR, 114 octane race fuel 85hp engine. In 1 race at Ridgecrest, CA, one spindle got broken crashing into a rock. He finished the remaining nearly 20 miles of the course rolling on 3 wheels on that broken front end going much slower than normal, including the normally wide open high gear downhill couple mile long straight section coming into the finish. Cylinder head temp gauge and oil temp gauge said it got a little warmer in that slower part of the race. But the whole rest of the year, the temps were right where they normally were with fan and shroud.

But that's in an open tube frame single seat buggy, with the engine getting a lot of air flow, not behind a fiberglass tub.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

In any case it is far from ideal in terms of engine life.
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

You don't need a full set of tins on a buggy. The top tins tins should be utilized, but the air flows straight through the engine on a buggy. I have never had an issue, and everyone I know with one runs just the top two tins, most engine builders I have seen only run the tip 2 tins for buggy engines, etc. Look at the old manx pictures, that's all they ever ran too.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

crickifur wrote:
You don't need a full set of tins on a buggy. The top tins tins should be utilized, but the air flows straight through the engine on a buggy. I have never had an issue, and everyone I know with one runs just the top two tins, most engine builders I have seen only run the tip 2 tins for buggy engines, etc. Look at the old manx pictures, that's all they ever ran too.

Not sure if you looked at the pic of the car in question but it isnt running the top 2 tins, just the fan shroud.
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

Oh!!! I guess I didn't pay nearly enough attention!! DON'T DO THAT HAHAHA
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: No cylinder tins? Reply with quote

crickifur wrote:

Yes it's well worth repeating the mistakes of the past! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: