Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What year VW's front torsion bars work with '58 356A Porsche?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sraucher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: What year VW's front torsion bars work with '58 356A Porsche? Reply with quote

I need two eight leaf front torsion bars for my T2 356A.
Was told some VW front torsion bars may work. What years should I be searching for.
Did VW make eight leaf torsion bars, how mush modification will be involved?
Thank you,
Steve
wagen19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: What year VW's front torsion bars work with '58 356A Porsche? Reply with quote

sraucher wrote:
I need two eight leaf front torsion bars for my T2 356A.
Was told some VW front torsion bars may work. What years should I be searching for.
Did VW make eight leaf torsion bars, how mush modification will be involved?
Thank you,
Steve

VW used for beetles from August 20th,´1953 till 7´65 torsion bars with eight leaves, (upper and lower are the same). VW Id-Nr 1 - 0 517 304 onwards.
According to my sources the ends, the ends were welded together at least till Feb 1960. My 356 A from 1958, 150 63x has also welded torsion bars. So I suggest, look for beetle 9´53 till 1´60. The beetle bars up to 7´65, 111 411 027 (king and link pin) would also fit, but the ends were possibly not welded.
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/html5.html#/366
Heinrich
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What year VW's front torsion bars work with '58 356A Porsche? Reply with quote

I think any VW bug torsion bars from sometime in the 1950s to 1965 would work with some modification.
I can only add my experience putting '65 Porsche torsion bars in my '65 VW.
Both the VW and Porsche sets had 8 leaves. The ends had been welded on my VW torsion bars before the PO decided to lower it by taking some of the leaves out. Sad The ends on the '65 were welded.
The bars are different in that the dimples for the center anchor and the trailing arms are all 3 on the same side of the VW bars, while the center dimple is on the opposite side for a Porsche. To use a VW bar in a Porsche you need to drill a new dimple in the center, on the opposite side from the existing one. The steel isn't hardened, so drilling the bars is fairly simple. I used a smaller bit to start the hole, and what I recall was a 1/2" bit to finish it off.
All back together the car seemed to ride too high in the front. So I took it all apart, ground off the welds, took the four outer leaves from the 356 bar and added them to the old VW bar, welded it back up, and re-installed. It made NO difference in the ride height, so functionally they are the same.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This video might help some, but the guy talks too fast and instead of focusing the camera on the parts he's talking about you see a bunch of his face and his hands waving around. It's frustrating, but you might find it helpful.
https://youtu.be/EWHPlUNzMXU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: