Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Just exchange them with PRP, as the Manx mounts are for the Roadster seats. If you ordered the seats and mounts through MM, you would have gotten the Manx mounts. The Manx mounts should really be called VW mounts.

PRP should say, "The Roadster mounts are for Meyers Manx's with flat pans, if you have a Meyers Manx with the rear seat footwells, use the Manx Mounts."
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

I actually used these sliders and adapters because the mounts from PRP were more expensive and at the time I did restoration on my buggy "Roadster Mounts" or "Manx" Mounts" were not available,,,

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Universal-Bucket-Seat-Slider-Tracks,7103.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Seat-Mount-Plates,7104.html

IT was all about keeping within a budget so project could be completed....

Compare pricing, and can you say "ouch"....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

I'm running into an issue with the existing fuel line. It seems to be clogged and I can't get it unclogged. I have attempted to run a clothes hanger through it, but the bends are too sharp for the clothes hanger. I attempted to blow it out with compressed air, but that didn't work either. I encountered the same issue with the accelerator tube, and I was able to purchase a drain snake which worked quite well. The snake is too big for the fuel line though.

I'd really rather not have to replace the fuel tube. I've read through another forum where someone replaced their fuel tube and it was quite a massive project. Does anybody have any experience with unclogging blocked fuel lines?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gecko Green Manxter 2+2 (#188) "The Last Manxter"

"Meyers Manx embodies the spirit of freedom, creativity and fun. No other car gets more smiles per mile than the Meyers Manx!"

From homeless to homeowner.
From uneducated to an MBA scholar.
From a nobody to a corporate aerospace manager.
From a boy to a self made man.
From a dream to reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Here is an idea that might work. Most hardware stores sell cable by the foot, get a thickness that will be a little loose inside the fuel line, hook it up to your drill motor and feed it thru the fuel line. Make sure you run the drill in a direction that will not unravel the cable, as it might get jammed.
Good luck. By the way, I replaced my fuel line in my buggy, and while a pain, its not impossible. Probably easiest when the body is off.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

The cable is a good idea, I think people have used an old speedo cable on a drill as well.

The guy I got that pan from said it was restored by some guy that was supposed to be known for his awesome work restoring pans, I cant remember the name but im really doubting the story or this guys "great" work Crying or Very sad
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

I used a length of weed eater line to clear mine. That and lots of flushing.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

I had to replace a fuel line in my first buggy and I ran the new line out next the to clutch and throttle cables, in the spot left for the choke cable tube. That made the install quite easy because you could line it all up with the end sticking out the shift rod access cover. Then push the front of the line down to place that last bend and bring it up through the grommet up front under the gas tank. It was attached at the front and back and had sections of split rubber tubing over the line where it could rub other stuff in the tunnel.
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since i've posted anything! Unfortunately it's been the perfect storm of busy work, busy school and hitting a slump in the project. Just got to push through this and get back on track. I am very hopeful to have the car driving by the fall, but when I look at the amount of work ahead of me it's very daunting Brick wall

With a lot of work, I finally removed the original seat tracks. A buddy of mine and I went half in on a little welder, and now he is helping me weld up the seat tracks. I really wish I had planned this better, because now i'm going to have to redo the surface paint and the undercarriage truck bedliner. I suppose it's one of those "live and learn" scenarios. Sad In addition to the reapplication of the paint and bedliner, I am going to weld a bar onto the frame to support the seat tracks. Because the seat tracks are more narrow than the original seat tracks, I need to reinforce the frame for the seats. I am also going to add a couple 3" circular reinforcement plates to the front of the seat tracks as well. I understand this is probably overkill, but I don't want any pressure points on the frame. My previous dune buggy has some issues with pressure points from the seats, not gonna let that happen again haha!

Unfortunately my coworker is pretty beat after 10 hours of manual labor in the +100 degree heat, so at the end of the day there's no energy left to help with the welding. So the project is going very slowly. After they're welded on, I will buff them and repaint them (at a later date when I repaint the frame).

Another issue i'm dealing with is the clogged fuel line. I have tried everything I can think of. Weed-eater cable intertwined with safety wire, a solid metal cable, reaming it out with the drill, flooding the line with WD-40, nothing works. Whatever is going on in that line is not coming out. At this point I've decided to just fabricate a new metal fuel line. I purchased some 1/4 SS line from Amazon.

What I will try to do is cut the existing fuel line from the access holes in the front and the rear so I can remove as much of the old line as possible:
Front

Rear

Once the old line is removed I will try to reroute the new line as close as possible to the old line. I have some rubber hose clamps from work I plan to use to hold it in place. It is going to be a big pain I can already tell, but as I said before, "It is what it is". Rolling Eyes d'oh! I'm not sure if I should use a standard slip-on hose with a hose clamp for the end, or if I should try to put an AN fitting on the new line and flare the tube. The slip-over fuel hose with a clamp is easier for sure, but an AN fitting and flared line would look much more professional. The flared line could be more prone to leaks as well, and any errors in the flare, or leaks, basically means i'll have to redo the entire line. Neutral

The original Manx fuel tank has an M18 x 1.00 fitting. I'm thinking the best option is to connect the fuel tank to the new fuel line with a stainless steel fuel hose. I don't want to connect the metal fuel line directly to the tank (too rigid). I'd like a flexible hose between the tank and the line. I'm trying to figure out how to convert the M18 fitting to a standard AN fuel fitting. Doesn't seem to be a lot of information about it online!

Honestly if I could do it over, I would probably splurge and get a David Barrett chassis. I told myself they are expensive, but i've already put more into this frame than the Barrett chassis costs. I told myself they require some effort, but i've put more effort into restoring this frame. I told myself, at least this frame has a title and is easy to register, but if you've read my other threat about titling the car, that isn't true either. Getting the title transferred into my name has been a nightmare too.
Hopefully once this project is finished, i'll look back and laugh at my growing pains Rolling Eyes

"Meyers Manx embodies the spirit of freedom, creativity and fun. No other car gets more smiles per mile than the Meyers Manx!"

From a dream to reality.

Last edited by Atomic Aerospace on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Looks pretty simple with one of these:
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3288.htm

Just be sure to use a good quality (such as Gates) fuel rated hose.
Jeff
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

I had hoped to make some good progress over the holiday weekend, but today I got sick (seems like food poisoning), so now I don't know how much progress I will make. Sad

The seat tracks continue to progress very slowly. I really wish I had planned this better at the beginning, or had a better understanding of the products available. The guy at PRP told me I would need the roadster seat mount, so that's what I got. I purchased them before I started the build. Later on, once I started fitting them to the car, I found out that the Manx seat tracks are actually what I need, because they fit right over the original tracks. PRP wouldn't let me return my seat tracks. d'oh! So my options are either get the Manx seat mount and eat the cost of the roadster seat mount, or to struggle with it, like i'm doing now.

The roadster seat mounts do not line up with the old seat tracks, so I have to prop up the rear of the mount, and fabricate a doubler for the front of the mount (because the metal is not reinforced).

I've purchased some steel to put on the rear, and made some steel doublers to weld on the front. This gets the seat to sit level, and hopefully distribute some of the weight load.

Welding is still going slow, we've been doing it for months and it's still not done. Part is because my friend only has an hour or so, every other week to help me. Part of it is because we don't have a gas welder, just an electric one. This part of the project is really starting to slow me down.

I sat in the seat (please forgive my lack of photogenic-ness (if that's even a word??)). I feel like the seat is sitting quite low. Once I get the body temporarily mounted I will determine the height. If the seat sits too low, I will have to look for a way to boost the seat mount even higher, while maintaining the structural integrity.
These seats have really kicked my butt. Brick wall d'oh!

From a dream to reality.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

When I remounted the seats in my dunebuggy I tried the easiest first which was too high and made me feel like I was sitting above the body. I ended up doing what was necessary to get them on the floor.
From what I have seen on here most people go with getting them as close to the floor as possible unless you have really high sides or a tall body lift.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Atomic Aerospace wrote:
I had hoped to make some good progress over the holiday weekend, but today I got sick (seems like food poisoning), so now I don't know how much progress I will make. Sad

The seat tracks continue to progress very slowly. I really wish I had planned this better at the beginning, or had a better understanding of the products available. The guy at PRP told me I would need the roadster seat mount, so that's what I got. I purchased them before I started the build. Later on, once I started fitting them to the car, I found out that the Manx seat tracks are actually what I need, because they fit right over the original tracks. PRP wouldn't let me return my seat tracks. d'oh! So my options are either get the Manx seat mount and eat the cost of the roadster seat mount, or to struggle with it, like i'm doing now.

The roadster seat mounts do not line up with the old seat tracks, so I have to prop up the rear of the mount, and fabricate a doubler for the front of the mount (because the metal is not reinforced).

I've purchased some steel to put on the rear, and made some steel doublers to weld on the front. This gets the seat to sit level, and hopefully distribute some of the weight load.

Welding is still going slow, we've been doing it for months and it's still not done. Part is because my friend only has an hour or so, every other week to help me. Part of it is because we don't have a gas welder, just an electric one. This part of the project is really starting to slow me down.

I sat in the seat (please forgive my lack of photogenic-ness (if that's even a word??)). I feel like the seat is sitting quite low. Once I get the body temporarily mounted I will determine the height. If the seat sits too low, I will have to look for a way to boost the seat mount even higher, while maintaining the structural integrity.
These seats have really kicked my butt. Brick wall d'oh!

Is that a full length body???

If I were you I would set the seat sliders in the full back position and then move the seats back until your legs are fully stretched out. Anyone taller than you wouldn't be able to drive it without modification.
I have a shortened pan and my seats are back to where I can just bottom out the clutch pedal and the seats are almost touching the taper of the tunnel.
The rails have plenty of slide for shorter people.
Get the seats as low as possible....you don't want your head to be above the windshield if possible.
The PRP brackets that mount to the seat and hold the sliders can be installed low or high....get them to the low position.
I would set the body on and sit in it to see how it feels.

Sit in someone else's buggy with low seats if possible to get a feel for the position.

I've had my PRP's for 15 years and I need to replace the covers....the weather and wear have taken it's toll.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

If I were you I would set the seat sliders in the full back position and then move the seats back until your legs are fully stretched out. Anyone taller than you wouldn't be able to drive it without modification.
I have a shortened pan and my seats are back to where I can just bottom out the clutch pedal and the seats are almost touching the taper of the tunnel.
Get the seats as low as possible....you don't want your head to be above the windshield if possible.
The PRP brackets that mount to the seat and hold the sliders can be installed low or high....get them to the low position.

Sit in someone else's buggy with low seats if possible to get a feel for the position.

I've had my PRP's for 15 years and I need to replace the covers....the weather and wear have taken it's toll.

Hi Clonebug,

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it! Right now I have the seats set at mid position. This way I will have room to move the seats forward or backwards, if need be. I don't plan on anybody else driving the car, so I want to position it to where I am most comfortable, but can also maximize backseat room if need be. IF anyone drove my car, it would be one of my siblings, who are all shorter than I am (I'm 5'9").
So my logic is this: mount the seat, which is set at mid point, to a distance which I am comfortable. Then it can move slightly forward, or slightly backward, if need be.

I don't think i'm familiar with how to adjust the height on the seat mounts? Mine seem to be at a fixed height, it doesn't seem like they go up or down? I will definitely verify with the body on before making any final decisions.

Weasel_ugs: I suppose I will have to see about the fit one the body is temp mounted. Right now, body off, it seems a little low to me...

From a dream to reality.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Atomic Aerospace wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Hi Clonebug,

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it! Right now I have the seats set at mid position. This way I will have room to move the seats forward or backwards, if need be. I don't plan on anybody else driving the car, so I want to position it to where I am most comfortable, but can also maximize backseat room if need be. IF anyone drove my car, it would be one of my siblings, who are all shorter than I am (I'm 5'9").
So my logic is this: mount the seat, which is set at mid point, to a distance which I am comfortable. Then it can move slightly forward, or slightly backward, if need be.

I don't think i'm familiar with how to adjust the height on the seat mounts? Mine seem to be at a fixed height, it doesn't seem like they go up or down? I will definitely verify with the body on before making any final decisions.

Weasel_ugs: I suppose I will have to see about the fit one the body is temp mounted. Right now, body off, it seems a little low to me...

The height has to do with the angle iron piece that mounts to the seat. You can mount the side to the seat mounts two ways...... as a Capital L or as a Capital L inverted.......if you know what I mean.
The flat surface will then be either below or above the bolt mounts of the seat.....if the seat mounts are still a vertical mount like mine were.

I don't have any pics of the correct way but here is a pic of the wrong way which makes them sit at least and inch taller.

Here are the seat mount tabs.....

Now....unbolt the two angle pieces and just rotate them 180 degrees but on the same sides...The gap has to stay where it is so the angled side will be pointing down instead of up......get it???
In essense...it puts the mounting holes for the seat tabs almost below the manx mount that I have.
I did mount them wrong the first time and figured it out after pulling the seats out later and looking them over because I wasn't happy with the height.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

I have glass buckets in my Buggy mounted very low. I am 6' + and if the seats were and higher the top of the windshield would be right across my vision. It's very close to that now. There is very little padding on these seats and you cannot get your fingers between the seat bottom and the floor pan.

Take a look at my daughter in this picture who is about 3" shorter than I am.

As for the statement "I don't plan on anybody else driving the car," that is a bit short sighted and, if you don't mind me saying so, also somewhat selfish. I get as much or more pleasure out of seeing someone else experiencing what great fun these cars are to drive as I do driving them myself! Just look at the poop-eating grins on those girls!
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Clonebug: unfortunately my seat mount is a different configuration than yours. I can't reverse the bottom mounts. The bottom mounts are also attached together by two welded bars, so I can't even try to flip them or invert them...

Oprn: I understand where you are coming from, but I think the mid mount makes most sense. Like I said, i'm 5'9", so there's a good change that people driving the car will either be a little shorter, or perhaps a little taller than me. Allowing them to adjust forwards and backwards, from the mid-point, makes most sense. I certainly don't want the top of the windshield in my line of sight either! Also, as an unmarried man who doesn't want kids, the only people driving my car would be very close friends. My sisters have no interest in it, and my parents prefer it when I drive them around (they don't like driving haha), so pretty much the primary driver is going to be me.

From a dream to reality.
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

Taking a break from the dreaded seat tracks, I started on another project I have been avoiding: modifying the passenger sidebrace. The mount for the B hoop on the right sidebrace was too far back (I posted about it in this thread). I used numerous different persuasion techniques, but it's just too far back. The mount needs to come forward by about 2". I removed the sidebrace mount tab and will weld it back on in the correct position. I really didn't want to remove it, but I didn't have much choice. The B hoop is as far back as it can go, and the tab is way off, so it needs to be modified.

In addition, i've oversized some of the holes in the frames so things fit together better. As it was, the cage took a lot of persuasion to fit into place. I'd much rather make the holes slightly bigger and have things fit together better. Now the assembly is not under so much stress, and doesn't put as much stress on the fiberglass.
This, of course, means the sidebrace will need to be re-powder coated. A note to anyone planning/building their projects: DO NOT PAINT ANYTHING UNTIL THE END. I can't stress this enough!

From a dream to reality.
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter 5083 - Frame Preparation Reply with quote

It's been a while, but life has been busy! Not that it matters, since most of these threads are fairly dead anyways haha. For future builders, be sure to visit the Manx groups on Facebook, they are much more lively.

To recap, I had painted the top of the frame with POR-15, and applied an undercarriage truck bedliner. Unfortunately, my poor planning came back to bite me in the butt: I had to remove the original seat tracks and modify the frame to add reinforcement for the new seat tracks. Between tearing out the old tracks and welding in reinforcement for the new tracks, the POR-15 and bedliner were both destroyed.

I reapplied POR-15 to the top of the frame and spot coated the bottom with bedliner. Then I applied bedliner to the top of the frame over the POR-15.
I purchased some sound deadening material I saw in a video by Chris Vallone on Youtube, the stuff seems to work great! A heat gun and roller helped out greatly.

I ordered some marine carpet and adhesive online from Albright Carpet Supplies. I ordered the more flexible carpet to get in all the tight edges. Unfortunately the carpet does seem kind of flimsy, however this is necessary for carpet flexibility. I certainly gained an appreciation for applying carpet! I decided to split the carpet into two sections to make it more manageable. I applied the seam to the middle, which would be sandwiched between the seats where it won't be seen.

After this, the body will be installed for the final time!

From a dream to reality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: