Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1998 TDI Transmission Replacement
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: 1998 TDI Transmission Replacement Reply with quote

Hey All,

I recently removed the 5 speed transmission from my 98 tdi jetta. I called 4-6 different transmission shops and no one will do a rebuild they all just do replacements. How difficult would it be to do a 6speed swap in from a newer vehicle? Any advice on what to look for when purchasing a used 5speed transmission? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 TDI Transmission Replacement Reply with quote

Is the car worth fixing.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 TDI Transmission Replacement Reply with quote

Absolutely! There is nothing VW produces today that matches the fuel economy, dependability and long life of the ALH engine. And it is getting harder every day to find a replacement. I plan on running mine until there is nothing left between the headlights and the tail lights!
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 TDI Transmission Replacement Reply with quote

D78Q85V87 wrote:
Hey All,

I recently removed the 5 speed transmission from my 98 tdi jetta. I called 4-6 different transmission shops and no one will do a rebuild they all just do replacements. How difficult would it be to do a 6speed swap in from a newer vehicle? Any advice on what to look for when purchasing a used 5speed transmission? Thanks.

Theres 2-3 places that rebuild them in wa. What was wrong with yours?

(206) 841 7324
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 TDI Transmission Replacement Reply with quote

The 98 Jetta is a AHU. I have a used trans if you want to buy it but Mr Gas in CO springs would rebuild yours. So would German Trans in Bend OR.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 TDI Transmission Replacement Reply with quote

A used transmission is usually good if not abused for 2k . If you change to a 6spd ,shifter linkage problems are likely. a common problem... With all VW stick shifts, reverse gear..a doable fix...Good luck & plz let us all know as this is a shared forum...Bill VT & PR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: