Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 Driver side door mounted mirror help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AriochPSL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: 1954 Driver side door mounted mirror help Reply with quote

Hey all, been going over this 1954 Beetle I just picked up. Sadly it did not come with the mirror in any of the boxes. What I do have is 3 self tapping holes on the door, which I presume was for a torpedo base door mounted mirror.

I know the mirrors were not added by the factory, the car was shipped to New York in 54. I am almost positive the upper hinge bolt is still factory as you can see from the picture which is the second reason I believe this car had the mirror mounted on the the door by the dealer.

So, anyone got any idea what mirror I can use that resembles the pattern on the door. I believe it will be a mirror that is held on with 3 screws but I am having trouble finding anything. I have looked at Albert mirrors but haven't really found anything that resembles the holes / shape I have in the pics.

Any help would be great! Smile

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Driver side door mounted mirror help Reply with quote

My bet would be that mirror was NOT added by the dealer. Even way back in 54' it was very easy for the dealer to add a mirror properly and they had a variety of mirrors that they'd install without doing damage to the car.
Obviously anything is possible, but 54' is pretty early in the export life of VW and wasn't real typical for the dealer to just screw parts to the car when there was a proper alternative.
That being said, there are dozens of mirrors with that sort of base. Personally..I'd spot weld up those holes, blend the paint and get a period mirror of some kind.
If it's a 54' in good condition it deserves it and is worth it. I did a clamp-on door frame mirror on each side on my 54' .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Driver side door mounted mirror help Reply with quote

Maybe it had something similar to this ?? Screw pattern is different though.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AriochPSL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Driver side door mounted mirror help Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
My bet would be that mirror was NOT added by the dealer. Even way back in 54' it was very easy for the dealer to add a mirror properly and they had a variety of mirrors that they'd install without doing damage to the car.
Obviously anything is possible, but 54' is pretty early in the export life of VW and wasn't real typical for the dealer to just screw parts to the car when there was a proper alternative.
That being said, there are dozens of mirrors with that sort of base. Personally..I'd spot weld up those holes, blend the paint and get a period mirror of some kind.
If it's a 54' in good condition it deserves it and is worth it. I did a clamp-on door frame mirror on each side on my 54' .

Thanks Bub, she's in amazing condition. I do love the top hinge mirrors but I am certain this one never came with one. Been looking at the clip ons as well. Trying to find something to cover the holes and not have to paint it, at least not yet. Smile
AriochPSL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Driver side door mounted mirror help Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Maybe it had something similar to this ?? Screw pattern is different though.

Getting closer! Smile Any chance you can see any manufacturing info on this mirror? Part number by chance? Thanks for sharing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: