Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving with no clutch cable is fun.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
berniedd1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thearn wrote:
That's never happened to me, how exactly do you shift with no clutch? Sounds like fun...and can you even start it without the clutch? Maybe i'm too young, but i'm sure it will happen eventually Very Happy

First your get the transmission to neutral from an engaged gear , and then try get the engine to turn at the same speed as your transmission input shaft. Once the flywheel and input shaft are turning at the same RPM, you slide the shift stick to the gear you want. Takes a lot of practice. Once you get the hang of it, you can shift without grinding and clashing of gears.
angela
Southern Dumbell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happened in my 1st bug when i was 16. i got a ride home, my bf at the time took it to his house to fix the next day. the 2nd time was in my 65. i had read before how to drive w/out in my idiots manual, so i figured i'd try it. luckily i had just gotten a new battery earlier in the week. i think i drove her like that for 2-3 days before i got a chance to replace the cable. i kinda liked it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with no clutch cable is fun. Reply with quote

Draging this one from the ashes,, Good to hear your tales of the clutch peddle stuck on the floor Laughing
70 bus 200 miles from home,just got off the freeway,to take the backroads ,and bang cable breaks,,shit,, had to hit about five intersections with lights Rolling Eyes crap got caught by two or three, good old battery & starter got me us back to the freeway,I figured less 'stops the better' what a buzz kill that was,,got home on time Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with no clutch cable is fun. Reply with quote

When I was 15 and learning to drive and I got the hang of driving a manual, my dad taught me to roll start and drive with no clutch because he said "one day your clutch cable will break and I'm not going to come get you."
Fast forward a few years and I was leaving class at a community college, the cable snapped as I was backing out of my parking space. Dad was home so I called him and told him. His response was "And what do want me to do?" I told him to come with the tow bar because I had to go through a lot of traffic to even get to the highway. He then goes "Well you want to get home don't you?" Click. and he hung up the phone Laughing

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: