Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking carb
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Leaking carb Reply with quote

after the first drive I noticed this

gas leaking out of the throttle bit.

hmmm, any suggestions?

Know I have the wrong bolt but it works for now!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking carb Reply with quote

Probably needs to have the shaft bushed.

aka... rebuilt

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking carb Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Probably needs to have the shaft bushed.

aka... rebuilt

I dont recall any shaft bushing when I rebuilt it years ago.

Not part of the usual rebuild kit?

Peter
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking carb Reply with quote

The steel shaft wears the bore in the alloy carburetor body. You can either machine the carb body for a brass bushing that corrects the wear, or ream the carburetor body for an oversize throttle shaft
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1929455

What you see is the gas leaking out, what you don't see is the air leaking in. When this gets bad it can drive you nuts if you don't know you have an air leak.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking carb Reply with quote

Throttle shaft is NEVER totally sealed even back when the carb was brand new. With engine running there is always a little air being sucked thru there. With engine running, fuel is kept inside due to the air being sucked in. On the other hand when the engine is shut off and the butterfly valve is closed, any fuel that drips down the throat of the carb will spread out on the flat of that valve and leak out of the throttle shaft.

Big question now is if the fuel seep or drip is there with engine idling or only shows up when engine is shut off. Can take several minutes for the latter to show.
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking carb Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Throttle shaft is NEVER totally sealed even back when the carb was brand new. With engine running there is always a little air being sucked thru there. With engine running, fuel is kept inside due to the air being sucked in. On the other hand when the engine is shut off and the butterfly valve is closed, any fuel that drips down the throat of the carb will spread out on the flat of that valve and leak out of the throttle shaft.

Big question now is if the fuel seep or drip is there with engine idling or only shows up when engine is shut off. Can take several minutes for the latter to show.

Thanks for this. I think I flooded the carb trying to start it. I will try again today if I have time.

speaking about time.... I am confused about the timing of the spark. My pulley has only one mark and both references I have say that is the timing mark at 7 degrees BTDC. I had used it prior as TDC and guestimated the 7* and the car started right up. After changing it to the manuals spot it would not start and flooded.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking carb Reply with quote

2Dokas wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Thanks for this. I think I flooded the carb trying to start it. I will try again today if I have time.

speaking about time.... I am confused about the timing of the spark. My pulley has only one mark and both references I have say that is the timing mark at 7 degrees BTDC. I had used it prior as TDC and guestimated the 7* and the car started right up. After changing it to the manuals spot it would not start and flooded.

Yes, the single mark on the 36hp pulley is 7.5 BTDC when lined up with the engine case seam.

This is strange it wouldn't start unless the timing / distributor position was off.
Flooding would be a separate issue, although obviously cranking it a ton because it wouldn't start can cause that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking carb Reply with quote

Thanks!

Carb seems fine, just flooded from the change in timing, and the accelerator cable was too tight (thou not a factor in starting)

odd I admit, but it starts right up much closer to 10 degrees BTDC.

Not driving it much, too many other things to do and its raining a lot and no current reg or insurance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: