Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 Beetle Operational Statistics
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: 1955 Beetle Operational Statistics Reply with quote

I once owned a 1955 Nile Beige Oval and recently found this information while cleaning out boxes. This information was authored by the original owner and given to me when I bought the Oval. These operational statistics in its early years I found interesting. I thought to share it here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Beetle Operational Statistics Reply with quote

It's very cool that he kept such a detailed log of what was replaced.

He must have gotten some bad oil pressure switches and oil coolers.
This seems weird to me as I've had cars with the original of both of those with much more mileage.
On the oil cooler, I wonder if the seals leaked and they replaced the whole cooler.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Beetle Operational Statistics Reply with quote

This is reminiscent of my Dad, a CPO in the Navy through WWII and during this same time period. Meticulous documentation, typed out on an old Royal Typewriter. No word processors, desktop formatting and penciled in edits... My pop documented his medical history like this. 8 pages of single spaced, typed info done with carbon paper in triplicate, military report style.
What a great find. The original owner must've been in a similar role in the Navy and just brought the mindset into his daily living. Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Beetle Operational Statistics Reply with quote

Awesome documentation, and interesting to see what the routine repairs were like for an average VW back when it was new.
Not terribly surprising, except....
23qts of oil in 1957 ? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Beetle Operational Statistics Reply with quote

Everett, I agree about the oil switches and oil coolers. I kind of wonder if it was some sort of production quirk of the age and a case of the aftermarket or later production oil pressure switches were improved and less problematic. Also, that's a good guess about the leaking oil cooler seals causing the dealership to just replace the entire oil cooler. It is not unusual to need a small part for one of my newer VWs and the dealership require replacing an entire unit.

I am a military brat and being raised in a military family, I learned to be meticulous about certain things and documentation is one. When I've ever sold or traded an old VW, the new owners have usually been amazed at the documentation I kept on the VW; very similar to the posted information.

I also noticed the high oil consumption prior to 1960, where it is significantly reduced afterwards. I wonder if it was that the oil cooler seals dry rotted or otherwise cracked in storage in the northern Winters and he had this oil leak until it was repaired?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: