Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Happy New Year
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Happy New Year Reply with quote

Everybody have a Good one Very Happy
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Reply with quote

I will second that from the frozen north! May all your breaks this year be in the traffic, not broken limbs or car parts!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Reply with quote

Question Merv, Like what kind of birds u counting? I like the avatar 'Northern Flicka' or a Yellow Belly Sap Sucker?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Reply with quote

Happy New Year to all!

I plan to eat more chicken fried steak and rib eyes this year.

I've already kept that resolution as I had chicken fried steak for lunch.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Question Merv, Like what kind of birds u counting? I like the avatar 'Northern Flicka' or a Yellow Belly Sap Sucker?

That's a Western Meadowlark.

In Canada every year various clubs/groups/associations, usually wildlife oriented do a winter/Christmas bird could, compile all the results and send them in to Ottawa for statistical records of bird populations across the country. We identify and count every bird we see within a pre-determined area.

I have no idea why it is done in the winter as is excludes all migratory species but I guess someone smarter than me has a reason. Simpler on the counting end as there are not many to count compared to summer.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
madmike wrote:

That's a Western Meadowlark.

In Canada every year various clubs/groups/associations, usually wildlife oriented do a winter/Christmas bird could, compile all the results and send them in to Ottawa for statistical records of bird populations across the country. We identify and count every bird we see within a pre-determined area.

I have no idea why it is done in the winter as is excludes all migratory species but I guess someone smarter than me has a reason. Simpler on the counting end as there are not many to count compared to summer.
Do you have to count the frozen birds?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Reply with quote

The snow usually covers them but one team did report finding a dark eyed Junko sitting upright on the snow bank beside the road. They were puzzled that it did not fly away and turns out it was frozen stiff where it was sitting. I didn't think to ask them if they included it in their total...

True story! Smile

I know you asked this in jest but it is a mystery to me how that all those little birds that weigh a 1/2 of an ounce with legs the size of toothpicks can live out there at -35* and a -50 wind chill! Yet when the snow melts in the spring it is rare to find dead ones.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Happy New Year to all!

I plan to eat more chicken fried steak and rib eyes this year.

I've already kept that resolution as I had chicken fried steak for lunch.

Had a ribeye on Wednesday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: