Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?)
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Maybe, maybe not; but it's small enough to fit in more possible places than the old ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My old ones kept breaking 'cuz I had to put them on underside of my buggy's low front bumper. But this tiny thing can fit between grille slats, so I built a little fiberglass box to hold it:

I have an opening in backside of box for air passage, and so a finger can push the whistle out for inspection, cleaning, easy replacement:

As to whether there's any scientific evidence that these whistles help, here's some good reading from Iowa State University:

https://intrans.iastate.edu/app/uploads/sites/10/2018/10/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

I'm not convinced they have any value. The company I worked for insisted that all their vehicles have them. They were on our daily check list and had to be kept clean and in good repair. I stopped counting the deer I hit after about #25. The last deer whistle I had on the company truck got wiped off an the a$$ of a bull moose! I never did replace it and haven't hit anything since.

You figure it out!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Ha,My Sister got some for the hubby, He told me they work great "No Deer Has Come Near his Bedroom Dresser",He never installed them Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

How does the deer get it’s lips on the whistle?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

I have a pair like your old ones. I've had them on previous vehicles and they work. I rarely even see a deer when I'm driving and I live out in deer country where I often see them out my kitchen window.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Tip: if u have them installed,,,and u have to pass a 'Horse Trailer' ,make it quick, it 'Freaks out' the horses Sad
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Cool! If this trailer's rockin, don't come knockin.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Works best on cars that also have an HHO Gas generator & Fuelline Magnets installed.

Performance is reduced if you also have the Air Intake Tornado Vortex generator...

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Maybe, maybe not; but it's small enough to fit in more possible places than the old ones.

My old ones kept breaking 'cuz I had to put them on underside of my buggy's low front bumper. But this tiny thing can fit between grille slats, so I built a little fiberglass box to hold it:

I have an opening in backside of box for air passage, and so a finger can push the whistle out for inspection, cleaning, easy replacement:

It actually fits easily into most trash cans.

bnc

As to whether there's any scientific evidence that these whistles help, here's some good reading from Iowa State University:

https://intrans.iastate.edu/app/uploads/sites/10/2018/10/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
How does the deer get it’s lips on the whistle?

Laughing Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Deer whistles were all the rage here 15 or so years ago but the hype has died out. No one talks about them any more. Next time I am in an automotive store I will try to remember to look for them. I don't recall seeing them lately. They may still be around just not front and center like they used to be.

Effectiveness is extremely hard to quantify or even prove. In fact I don't know if they even make a sound. And if they do what is the speed range at which it happens? They certainly don't make any claims on the package as to what speed you should drive for maximum effect. You would think that would be helpful.

The other thing I have wondered about is - if they do in fact make a sound - at what point do wildlife hear it often enough that it is just the normal and expected sound of vehicles going by? I can see it catching their attention the first time or two they hear it but if all the cars going by sound like that... no big deal.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

If it was really this easy, nobody would be putting $2k ranch hand bumpers on their trucks.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
If it was really this easy, nobody would be putting $2k ranch hand bumpers on their trucks.

Yes they would, because its muscular looking and cool man! Why do they spend $6K on a set of wheels?
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

I'm confused, do the whistles CALL them or SCARE them 🤔, how do they know?
This is crazy technology 🤣
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

The few deer that I've seen since using them "freeze" and just stare. They don't move.
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
The few deer that I've seen since using them "freeze" and just stare. They don't move.

That only helps if they're not in the middle of the road. Wink
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Don't you have brakes?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

Deer often run into the side of a vehicle. They don’t look both ways before they cross.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Deer often run into the side of a vehicle. They don’t look both ways before they cross.

Neither do a lot of people!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tiny New Deer Whistle (Worthwhile?) Reply with quote

I ran the same highway for 15 years in deer infested territory. Herds of 30 to 70 animals every day in the winter and many many individuals in the summer. I have run with and without deer whistles and quite frankly I cannot see any difference. I found the most effective thing is your horn, it gets them moving. A deer that is standing still is a loose cannon. You have no idea what it will do or when. Get them moving and you have a chance to avoid them.

The worst time for deer hits is at night when you have limited vision of what is happening in the ditch and the fields beside the road. The second worst is mid summer when the grass is high enough in the ditch that they can hide in there and pop out last minute.

Yes they sometimes run right into the side of your vehicle. Up to 3 at a time in my experience. I even heard a thump in the night once and thought my tailgate had dropped down. I stopped to look, nope, nothing. Then I noticed deer hair stuck in the corner of the tail light and a small dent just ahead of it! No sign of the deer anywhere.

When they are coming across a field toward you at full steam they are trying to outrun you and nothing will deter them. It’s head down, go for broke and it’s up to you to judge the timing and speed up or slow down to avoid contact.

Now moose! That’s a different story! Dumb and 1/2 blind to boot! 🙄
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: