Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo, I may just be over a hump!

So progress over the last week or so.

Headliner fully installed and rag top fit and adjusted.

The headliner is a little wrinkly under the rag section, but it is tough to stretch it width wise. I am very pleased with the result regardless.

The canvas rag is adjusted as far forward on the rear oblong holes as they will allow and the rag is tight as a drum when closed. Is this normal?
I assume it will stretch out a little as it gets worked in and weathered a little???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also finally assembled the tail lights and mounted them to the fenders

My dog likes hanging out in the Beetle while I work on it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

I believe I am over a hump.

I got the running boards sorted, Although I don't have the proper wide aluminum (chrome?) trim for them. That will have to come a little later.
Got the rubber seals stretched around the side and rear glass and got the damnable chrome accent strips installed into the rubber seals.
This is the trim that came off the car when I stripped it, but I noticed in the Vintage pic's sticky that some ovals have a much wider chrome strip around the rear window.
Was this an up to 55 thing maybe?

Waiting on buddy at the trophy shop to etch a counterfeit logo onto the windshield before inatallation.
I don't have the chrome strip for the windshield rubber. Getting it here from WW will be a challenge. International shipping is plugged up pretty badly.

I removed the upper passenger side hinge pin in favour of one that will accommodate a mirror. Driving an oval with no passenger side mirror leaves too much of a blind spot for my liking.

I bought a hinge pin removal tool from Joey Codgill some years ago and have not had much opportunity to use it, but when one needs it, there is no substitute.

I landed on this colour combo for the wheels.
Semi gloss black on the inner hub does not draw ones eye to the wheels as much a the light stock colour does. I like this overall effect better.

I finally got the decklid properly fit and adjusted. Opens and closes with no rubbing, gaps are good, latches properly and the lock locks.
Can't ask for much more than that.

Now that the decklid is done, I can do the final tweaks on the rear bumper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Windshield logo'd and wrestled into the rubber seal.

Turns out Fred has aluminum trim for the windshield for me.

Onward.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Keep it coming! Really loving how it is turning out.

I am hoping to make the very last welds on the body of my car today.

Don
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Keep it coming! Really loving how it is turning out.

Thanks! I feel kinda sheepish about stalling as long as I did, but I'm getting close to the finish line now.

sunroof wrote:
I am hoping to make the very last welds on the body of my car today.
Don

You are certainly doing that car justice!
We may have to meet in Findlater of some such halfway point when you're done and spill beer on each other!
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Not much to report.

Got the tarboard panels installed in the engine compartment.
Of course, nothing is straightforward.
The tarboard kit is "universal", so that means it is likely loosely patterened after a 68ish beetle engine compartment.
After some judicious trimming, I have it installed to an acceptable standard.
I was concerned about how I was going to mark the places where the barbs need to perforate the tarboard, but was pleased to discover that I could push firmly on the tarboard at the location of the barbs and that was enough to force them through the tarboard. Creating a hole in the tarboard for the wiring loom clips was a bit of a challenge and it it kind of a hacked hole rather than a precision cut, but it is functional and will fortunately be hidden by the engine.

Got the bumper aligned in all three dimensions as well

Turns out the windshield aluminum trim I got from Fred was for a bay window bus! Ordered the correct trim from WW through C1, but likely won't have it for about a month.
i guess with only a median amount of ambition, I can have the rest of the oval buttoned up by then and that may be the last thing to do.

Anyhow, todays task was to go through the fuel system (car only, not engine) and ensure everything was up to acceptable standards. A couple years ago, I had cleaned out the tank, sourced a reserve tap, screen and gaskets, so it should have been a matter of ensuring everything is snugged up and then putting some fuel in the tank to test for any leaks in the system.
When I went to check that the nut on the reserve tap was snug, it would not tighten up. Damn!
Turns out the aluminum nut is stripped. I realize these things are fragile, but I had no idea I was galling the threads so badly when I snugged it up some years ago.

Regardless, this will not do.
I have a small stash of bus reserve taps, and had a good spare nut.
When I test fit the new nut on the tank outlet, it would not thread on more than one turn.
I guess the threads on the tank outlet need some work as well.

I'm hoping some work with a small triangular file and finishing with a thread file will cure the problem.
I have a nagging feeling that I may need to find a big enough tap and re cut the threads on the outlet.

I'll report back
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

A little progress over the long weekend.

With the headliner complete, I finally got round to installing the rear three windows.
The side windows put up a bit of a fight, had a bit of a hard time getting then centered front to back, but it all ultimately worked out fine.
Changes the whole ambiance of the car with most of the glass installed.
Still need to do the passenger side roll up window and the windshield once I get the trim, but all still moving in the right direction.

The thread file worked well on the tank outlet threads and i got the reserve tap nut to spin on and off effortlessly.
Snugged up the nut and suspended the tank between two milk crates and two crib blocks and poured some fuel in the tank to test for leaks.
Sure enough, the damn thing is seeping.
I took it apart again and decided the petrified original sieve sock gaskets were likely the culprit.
I could likely get new ones from C1 on Monday, but I thought I would try a thin layer of Aviation Form A Gasket to see if that cured the issue.
Sure enough, next time around the tap stayed dry.
Heck, saved myself upwards of two bucks by not having to get new gaskets!

Installed the tank this morning and finally got to screw on the nice gas cap I have been saving for a long time.

Finally, took the dash grill out and cleaned it up with CLR and steel wool.
Cleaned the dust off the dash as well and it all looks a little friendlier inside.

I have a period correct Blaupunkt radio for the oval that has been updated with new guts to fill the radio hole.

Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

So, it's been a year since I posted anything and almost a year since I've done anything! After ignoring the oval for 12 months, got back at it at the beginning of April.

What is it with stalled oval projects??

Regardless, I finally got the engine I built for it installed and running. It is a 1600 rather than a 36, but it was what I had available so that is what i will run with for the time being. A fresh 36 would be preferable, but that is on the list of "eventually".
I was gratified to find that the original ignition switch still works - all locks are that key as well so that was a win.

All wiring at the rear of the car done.

Period correct Blaupunkt installed, but no speaker, so no sound.

Drivers window installed and fricken tight in the new felts, but that's just the way these things are I believe.

Second windshield installed after cracking the first one with less than an inch of install left to go.

Horn wired up and working. Hood adjusted.

Brakes bled and adjusted.

Actually took it for a short drive around the block after topping up the trans. Most pleased to report the trans shifts smoothly, makes no odd noises, does not pop out of any gear and leaks hardly at all!

Working on wiring on front end of the car. Signal lights are going to be a bit of a bear as I am running 12 volt and will have to wire it up to work with the three prong flasher and may have to rig in resistors for the front signal lights as they are LED in the headlights and may not offer enough resistance for the flasher. Will have to see. The signal light switch is in unknown condition, so it likely will have to come out for a good cleaning.

I have decided to have my local upholstery guy redo the seats and door cards in Brick Red. I was going to run a non original slightly ratty interior, but I know I will be much happier with it done right and in Brick Red.
Brick Red and Agave Green just go so well together!

Passenger side roll up window still needs to be installed, front wiring, tape measure wheel alignment and a dozen other little things I'll think of, but I'm inching closer to the finish line.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Keep inching! Same same at my house. I'm going through the electrical now, inching along.

Don
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Really nice build. I love seeing these old ovals resurrected. The color is tempting me....my 55 is strato silver and a lot of my og paint is solid but the car will need a repaint... that agave green is delicious.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

This car was delivered with cloth seats. Less common than vinyl I think, but not a real big deal.
They are surprisingly tear free and complete, but stained in places, so not really even driver quality anymore.
I was going to leave them be and be satisfied with my $40 Canadian Tire seat covers on them, but Fred finally convinced me to redo the seats and door cards in Brick Red.

Like tehilla said - Agave Green is delicious, but Agave Green and Brick Red is mouthwatering delicious!!

So Kongkeo, the guy who did my headliner, and I sat down and decided on the correct vinyl, piping, seams, etc for the job.
I would do the grunt work - removing the original covers, fixing any broken springs and painting the frames- and he would do the skilled work of sewing the covers and creating the door card covers.
I really didn't need to do more work(or sink more $$) into this Albatross, but Fred can be quite convincing when he has a mind to.
I have removed the original covers intact with the hopes that someone, somewhere, sometime will have a survivor oval that the interior is trashed on and can use these covers for an original look.
Anyhow, after stripping the covers and pads off of the seats, this tag was still in pristine condition.

Indicating not only that these are the original seats for the (February 57 completion date) oval, but also that Brandt was justified in signing off on them.

Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

My daughters boyfriend just completed his BFA at U of C.
He is quite a talented artist.
He has done drawings of other garage toys for me, so once the Beetle was reasonably complete, I asked him to include it.

Love the rendition, but it makes me question my exhaust choice.
Likely have to get an A1 or something that hides away better and doesn't scream 80's.

Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

It does not matter how slow you go, as long as you do not stop - Chinese proverb.

A buddy in the BC interior wanted the Kadrons on the engine, so I shipped those off to him.
Replaced with 40 Webers.
Punted the cheap header and replaced with a ceramic Fat Boy.
I have no need for a honkin engine, but I had the Webers on the shelf and got a killer deal on the exhaust, so those will both help the little 1600 breathe.

Kongkeo finished up the seats and door cards.

Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

I don't know what it is with stalled oval projects, but I have come to the realization that this thing will fight me every step of the way.
Deal with your reality.
I think I would rather run a 36, but I don't have one of those on the shelf and I did have a 1600.

Decided to run the Webers and an 010 as well as the better exhaust.
Will dial in the carbs and then install the 010.
Minor details to take care of on the engine, but all the big time consuming stuff is done.

Finally got the window felt installed to a point where the windows roll up and down with only medium resistance, so was able to finally install the parcel tray and door cards.

Not much left to do, but that has been the case for the last 5 years.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Beautiful job
nice work
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Looks F’N AMAZING!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
I don't know what it is with stalled oval projects...
Not much left to do, but that has been the case for the last 5 years.

Please note that your progress, however slow and your willingness to share it here on TS keeps the wind in a lot of sails on these projects.
The car looks incredible and looks to be driven soon. Thanks for posting it all up here.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

Howdy Keith,

Just reread and enjoyed your entire thread.

How is your car coming along?

Regards,

Mark.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

How did Bruce Springsteen put it?
"Time slips away, leaves you with nothing Mister"

Last weekend I finally sorted the bad grounds and bad connections and got the signal lights and brake lights working properly.

Stemmed the seep from the reserve tap as well.
Today, I decided it was time for a tentative test drive.
Well, didn't even make it out of the shop on the test drive.
Turns out, the cancelling ring on the steering wheel turns on the signal lights every time the wheel gets turned.
I had the switch apart and dosed it liberally with contact cleaner a couple months ago and apparently, I messed up the spacing between the switch and the cancelling ring?
Dunno, will investigate.
As I was turning around (with flashers going off) the ignition switch started smoking.
Darn
Maybe run toggle switches till I can find a correct ignition switch.

Last edited by Riff Raff on Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of a 57 deLuxe Reply with quote

That is all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: