Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hydraulic line repair kit?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

I just recently upgraded my Rail with all new hydraulics..clutch and dual M/C brake system. While I was doing that, I thought about repairs to that system in case of a breakdown, specifically the clutch line. Is there some kind of repair kit for those hydraulic lines in the event of damage?

Yeah yeah I know the chances of a rock flicking up and crunching a line is pretty infinitesimal but I'm curious. Is there a way to repair the hydraulic line? Maybe some kind of brass coupler like is used for copper line?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

nothing that will hold the pressure of hydraulics. if they are hard lines the only thing i could see would be having the flaring tool, male, and female fittings so you could connect them back together. wouldnt take up to much space, or weight.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

Carry a spare line.... Trying to think through a unidentified damage scenario before hand is going to have you carrying a whole box full of repair part that probably won't work for you if you need to do repair.... Coil it up and duct tape to back of driver or passenger seat....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'll just carry a spare coiled up line zip tied to the frame. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

Most ppl here will bitch about them and say they don’t hold or are dangerous etc etc.. but compression fittings work. Ive seen dozens of buggy’s and even street driven vehicles with them and they’ve been on there for years.
I think some of the failures ppl have experienced from compression fittings was due to improper installation, i have seen them fail when installed over a painted line with out cleaning the paint off.
But even if a person doesnt care to use them permanently, they’d work in a pinch to get you back home. Hell, some rubber hose and bunch of hose clamps would probably work in a pinch. I dont think the hydraulic pressure is as high as ppl think it is. Consider how little foot pressure it takes to operate a cable actuated clutch and how easy that’d be for a hydraulic system. Not to mention you can run your hydraulic clutch and brakes on those plastic lines. I’m not saying you should but I’ve had buddies than ran those plastic lines for brakes and they were on their for 3 -4 years until the buggy’s were sold. And if those shitty plastic lines hold up for brake pressure , they’ll hold up for a clutch line, and if that’s true then a compression fitting will work just fine to get you home and they dont take up much room in the tool box.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
Most ppl here will bitch about them and say they don’t hold or are dangerous etc etc.. but compression fittings work. Ive seen dozens of buggy’s and even street driven vehicles with them and they’ve been on there for years.
I think some of the failures ppl have experienced from compression fittings was due to improper installation, i have seen them fail when installed over a painted line with out cleaning the paint off.
But even if a person doesnt care to use them permanently, they’d work in a pinch to get you back home. Hell, some rubber hose and bunch of hose clamps would probably work in a pinch. I dont think the hydraulic pressure is as high as ppl think it is. Consider how little foot pressure it takes to operate a cable actuated clutch and how easy that’d be for a hydraulic system. Not to mention you can run your hydraulic clutch and brakes on those plastic lines. I’m not saying you should but I’ve had buddies than ran those plastic lines for brakes and they were on their for 3 -4 years until the buggy’s were sold. And if those shitty plastic lines hold up for brake pressure , they’ll hold up for a clutch line, and if that’s true then a compression fitting will work just fine to get you home and they dont take up much room in the tool box.

Those are all good points! I've seen some that had metal inserts for when they were used for plastic lines. Maybe something like that would work.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

Compression/ferrule style plastic line fix-it kit is what I have for a get-home kit in the tool bag. I also carry a T-fitting just in case I somehow end up needing to re-plumb an entire front or rear circuit from the master cylinder to the wheels.

The longest I could envision leaving plumbing like that on my car with a license plate is a few miles-keeping several hundred feet between me and any car in front of me.

Stomping my brakes generates around 1000-1500PSI per my hydraulic test gauge depending on the stomp, so any installation of any plastic compression fittings in any brake system is on borrowed time from the moment of commissioning, and the reason it may keep working is basically just luck and the lack of strenuous emergency stops.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic line repair kit? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm only thinking about a repair for my hydraulic clutch line. I have a dual brake M/C set up so if one end goes out, I still have the other one. If all else fails, I'll just rig up a cable from the clutch lever and pull it by hand with a pry bar for a lever!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: