Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam recommendations
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pearidge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

Hi haven't posted in a while but read posts almost daily. Long story short I am building a new buggy. Berrien nostalgia irs ball joint street car.I have a citation I have been driving for several years with a dual port 1600 with the dreaded dual glass packs and a progressive. I know alot of people don't like them but I don't mind them.on to the new project I am building a thick wall 1835 stock heads and crank.what have you all had good luck with for a cam.I know there are compromises just loked for good sound and not losing to much low end. Needless to say not going to run to many rpm either
pearidge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

I forgot, going to run a trimill 4 into one glasspack and 34 webers
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

Sorry, no recommendation. I think we used to ride atv's at pearidge 30+ years ago. Before kids and grandkids.South of woodland lakes near a train crossing?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

OP, you would have better luck in the engine/trans section. There are a crowd of experts there who would be glad to help, if you don't mind a wide variety of suggestions to select from. Good luck!

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

Engle W-100, or FK-41 would be the most I would run with stock heads
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

Stock cam & straight cut gears - there's your noise.

bnc
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

If you're keeping the stock Solex carb I'd suggest an Engle W-90 or a CB 2280. If you run dual carbs then the W-100.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
pearidge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

Been away from computer a while. I will be running dual 34s and a trim-mill 4 into 1 with glass pack
pearidge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

cbeck i live a few miles from there . used to ride dirt bikes there years ago
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam recommendations Reply with quote

I put over 40,000 miles on a W-100 cam with stock rockers and some 1.25:1 chinese rockers that measured out at 1.37:1 and it was a great cam on my 1679cc engine.
It was turboed and the torque peak was around 4600 rpm and peak power was at 4850 rpm.
I had no complaints about it and after pulling it out it was in perfect shape along with the lifters.....I replaced it because everyone said it couldn't handle over 1.25 rockers. I did put 5000 miles on it with the 1.37 rockers and it showed no issues so I could have left it but I moved on to a FK-42 for a little more duration trying to move the peak power up a little and hopefully gain more max hp.

I thought it was a great cam if you don't want to rev the crap out of your engine. I had my rev limiter set at 5700 rpm and it could get there quite easily with the turbo at 22 plus lbs. boost.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: