Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

vahe1 wrote:
hello there . I have a Magnum GT I need a rear plexiglass. Anyone knows where to locate one please PM me

Make a pattern and take it to a fabrication shop to replicate. You won't find replacement parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
vahe1 wrote:
hello there . I have a Magnum GT I need a rear plexiglass. Anyone knows where to locate one please PM me

Make a pattern and take it to a fabrication shop to replicate. You won't find replacement parts.

Make a pattern out of sheet metal. Weld in stiffeners so the sheet metal maintains shape. Heat the acrylic to form around your pattern.

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vahe1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Thank you for your input
Racerx999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi, I stumbled across this old thread about the Magnum GT sports car that was offered in the early 80's. I am the current owner of the Yellow Magnum that serf2 owned and assembled. I bought it 2 years ago off of an 80-year-old retired minister in Alabama that had bought the car a few years prior from Serf2. He drove it twice and let it sit in his garage. The car is amazing and very well built. I have owned many replica and kit cars and this car is hands down the highest quality example I have owned or seen except for the Superformance and Beck cars maybe. My Magnum came with the Mazda rotary engine that Lyle Mader had built for the cars by Tri-point. The engine needed a new carb when I bought the car and I replaced the Holley 4 barrel on the engine with a Racing beat Holley that is specially modified to run with the street ported Rotary. The engine runs amazing with this carb. I however wanted to improve the car and am currently having it converted to 2.5L Subaru power by the Beck Speedster guy Special Edition in Bremen In. They are experts at Subaru powered replica cars and do amazing work. I am running the Suby engine with a new Rancho Pro Suby VW 4 speed geared specifically for the Suby power band. I also had it built with a Quaife TBD. I am also having the front VW H beam axle and suspension swapped out for a RED 9 design double wishbone/coil over bolt on unit with rack and pinion steering. The work should be complete in 6-8 weeks.
I too think would love to find other Magnum owners and have searched the internet and have only found 2 other Magnums out there. I am thinking the number of cars that actually made it on the road is under 10 and maybe more like 6. I have all the original magazine ads they rand in the 80's along with Lyle Mader's handwritten assembly instructions. Serf2 the builder of this car was a body shop teacher and did some very high quality work on the body making some custom changes to the body and making it smooth and straight. He replaced the round taillights with early 2000's Corvette tail lights. He filled in the front square turn signals and added inset turn signals at the corners of the front. I drive my cars and drove the Magum more in the first 3 months I owned it than it had been driven in the entire 20 years it has been finished. If any other Magnum owners find this thread and want to contact me I would love to connect. I think we have a rare and valuable car in the Magnum. I wish there was more info. and video online about them. I will be trying to change that with my car. Jim Vickers 812-972-4516.

Racerx999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

Hi, My Magnum has been with Special Edition in Bremen, In. The maker of the Beck Speedster, Spyder's and other high-quality hand fabricated cars. They are converting the car from Mazda Rotary/ VW transaxle drive train to a new EJ253 Subaru 2.5L engine mated to a Rancho pro Suby trans axle with special gearing to match the Suby power band and with a Quaife Torque biasing diff.. They are also doing assorted other work while the have the car. They have installed a Red 9 design double wishbone with rack and pinion front suspension setup in place of the VW beetle H beam front axle. They have installed clear headlight covers and are doing some other small things. The car will have heat and AC and should be a daily driver quality vehicle when finished. I have posted this information on several other forums that the Magnum GT is mentioned so forgive me if this is redundant. I feel it is important to get good information about this amazing and rare car on the web. It seems to have a non-existent footprint in cyber space. I love this car and would love to know how many of them are still around and were ever sold. I can't believe it was as some say in the 75-100 cars. If this where true more of them would be around. I am going to attach pictures of the recent work and post a old magazine article that I have that was published in Kit car magazine. If anyone wants to contact me,

they can. Jim Vickers 812-972-4516
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

@Racerx999- It is indeed a great looking car, Jim, and with the Subaru engine it'll be the bomb! Al
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: