Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

175/65R15?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

So I have a bone stock L87 pearl white 1965 bug. Stock suspension, stock rims, stock tires. Been driving it for 8 years now and the stock tires are on their way out.

Well last night I got a steal on a set of BRM (4.5 fronts, 5.5 rears) minus tires. I was thinking about doing an old school Cal-Look setup. Stock height in the rear with 205/70R15s. Front end I was thinking about keeping the stock width front beam, dropped spindles and a tire like 145's. The typical rake/performance look from back in the day.

Only thing is that I dont really like how skinny the 145's are. Id be down to find a set of front tires that are the same height as 145's, but a wider contact patch would be ideal. Ive been able to lock up my 165's in panic stops with crappy drivers, and I was looking around earlier today and found that 175/65R15's were almost the same height as 145's.

Anyone run these tires on the front? How do they look? I tried to find photos in the gallery, but no luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has run this tire on the front of a bug?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ran 135's and 145's and agree; for a street car they're dangerous! I think you'll be much happier with 175/65's. They'll look great!. Al
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run 175X65 & 195X70 on my slightly lowered squareback. Now I'm on 185X60 & 205X70 with a 1.5" forward rake.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your impression of the 175/65? Is there a reason you went with the 185/60's instead?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 175 & 195 on my wire wheels since 195 rubbed in the front. The 185 & 205 are on my 2.0 liter Porsche wheels with a different offset than my wire wheels. Since you only have 4.5" wheels for the front the 175 would seem like the 'perfect' choice for you as 185 is really too big for 4.5" wheels.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65 series is enormous. Here are my 175/55 on a 5.5 Speedmaster.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawn ninja, those rims look rad man!

But in reality, the 65 series of those tires is the same height as a 145R15, just wider. If I were to be going as low as you were, they would be way to big, but I am not slamming the front end.

Thanks for the pictures!
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found a guy with a bug that was running the 175/65's on a bug. He to search the late model forum.

dmilla wrote:
I have a complete set of Porsche 914 Sport Wheels (5.5" Wide ET40) on my 69 Sunroof. I had the set media blasted & powder coated in wheel silver. 195/65/15 on the rear and 175/65/15 up front on a 2" CB Narrowed Beam and 2.5" CB Drop Disc Spindles. Handles great & ZERO tire rub up front.

Enjoy!

jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

Consider carefully there was a good reason Why the Expert VW Engineers designed the stock suspension and tire sizes spec so that the front is over an inch higher than the rear end because it's the Best Handling setup for the car.

The trendy Look of a lowered front end is a fashion taken from drag strip racing pros who knew what they were doing but this setup is dangerous on a public road!

Lowering the rear suspension correctly to maintain an ideal camber and castor angle combined with a matching lowering from stock height could improve handling while still giving an increased front end height. This will ultimately result in a car that drives better and stops better when high quality tires are fitted. I recommend Michelin brand.

If you don't have a more powerful than stock 1600 then putting tires of any wider section than stock 165 will actually Slow your Bug down as rolling resistance increases!
This makes an increase in fuel consumption possible, along with increased wear to the transmission, engine , braking and suspension components.

Of course it's your bug, your life and you can do what you want
I put 165/65 15 up front and 165/80 15 at the back of my stock 1200 72.
Every 6 months I rotate the tires to even wear out, then I have 165/80 upfront and 165/65 at the back that results in the best handling setup because then the front is over an inch higher than the rear with stock suspension apart from that I have red Joni classic shocks at the back.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

Haha, funny typo red koni classic shocks!
They help compensate for original torsion bar sag in the back. They have an easy 3 settings for a softer, medium and harder set suspension built in. The front end doesn't need them because a bug is super light up front.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret Young wrote:
Finally found a guy with a bug that was running the 175/65's on a bug. He to search the late model forum.

dmilla wrote:
I have a complete set of Porsche 914 Sport Wheels (5.5" Wide ET40) on my 69 Sunroof. I had the set media blasted & powder coated in wheel silver. 195/65/15 on the rear and 175/65/15 up front on a 2" CB Narrowed Beam and 2.5" CB Drop Disc Spindles. Handles great & ZERO tire rub up front.

Enjoy!

Those 914-specific 5.5" wheels are great! I am pretty sure they won't work with a Super Beetle, though, due to some interference with the front suspension. I have not personally verified that, but I sold some once to a Super Beetle guy, before I had heard about this issue, and he told me he could not use the wheels on the front of his car. That must be why the Sports Bug 5.5" wheels have the different offset compared to the 914 versions.

That's a gorgeous Bug, by the way!

914-specific 5.5" hubcap wheels are also very cool. You see them occasionally come up for sale on TheSamba.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

I will be ordering some 175/65r15’s to replace my 145r15’s. Not sure if I’m sticking with 4.5” or changing to 5.5” wheels. I like the tucked drag look in the front. I’ve seen them mounted on both width rims.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

I've run the 175/65 on a bug and I didn't like them (continental)

I think the 165/60-15 is better for a bug
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

What didn’t you like? The 165 is just over an inch shorter and a little narrower than the 175. I’m replacing my 145r80 tires. Same height as the the 175. But, obviously the 175 is wider. Could affect rubbing on the inside. 3” narrowed beam.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

No pictures, but I saw a pre-68 Bug with the 4.5 inch wheels and 175/65s at a car show once, the owner said he had no rubbing issues. Good luck!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

Conti 175/65 on 4.5" wide '72 stock steel wheels on the front axle of my '77 Beetle, a few years ago. The tires were new "take-offs" from a current MINI Cooper base wheel which received larger accessory wheels prior to customer delivery. Car is lowered in front with an adjustable beam, done by the PO.

I had these tires for nearly 10 years in sun-shielded storage before mounting them. After only a few years, the tread started cracking near the transition to the sidewalls. I had 165/80 tires installed, and took this photo of the 2 tire sizes directly next to each other. Speedometer error was about 3 mph high based on in-town radar apparatus displays.

Rear tires in this photo were General Altimax 205/65 on 5.5" Brazilian steel wheels. I downgraded to Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70 at the same time as going to the 165's in front.
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

This car is running 15x4.5, 175/65r15 fronts...I really like the look of this car. I want to recreate the stance but not sure how wide the beam is..
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 175/65R15? Reply with quote

jarmchairpilot wrote:
Consider carefully there was a good reason Why the Expert VW Engineers designed the stock suspension and tire sizes spec so that the front is over an inch higher than the rear end because it's the Best Handling setup for the car.

The trendy Look of a lowered front end is a fashion taken from drag strip racing pros who knew what they were doing but this setup is dangerous on a public road!

Lowering the rear suspension correctly to maintain an ideal camber and castor angle combined with a matching lowering from stock height could improve handling while still giving an increased front end height. This will ultimately result in a car that drives better and stops better when high quality tires are fitted. I recommend Michelin brand.

If you don't have a more powerful than stock 1600 then putting tires of any wider section than stock 165 will actually Slow your Bug down as rolling resistance increases!
This makes an increase in fuel consumption possible, along with increased wear to the transmission, engine , braking and suspension components.

Of course it's your bug, your life and you can do what you want
I put 165/65 15 up front and 165/80 15 at the back of my stock 1200 72.
Every 6 months I rotate the tires to even wear out, then I have 165/80 upfront and 165/65 at the back that results in the best handling setup because then the front is over an inch higher than the rear with stock suspension apart from that I have red Joni classic shocks at the back.

I disagree on having the front lower than the rear will hurt handling.

My front is dropped 3" and the rear 1" so there's still a 2" difference.

I will admit that I did a number of upgrades including aftermarket front and rear antiroll bars, low pressure gas shocks and higher quality bushings.

195/55-15 front tires on 5.5x15 ET42 914 alloys
205/60-15 rear tires on 5.5x15 ET42 914 alloys

Caster shims added to set correct caster, camber was also correctly set.

The car handles like a go kart and the rear can throttle steer very predictably.

Engine is a 2180 so turning larger tires is not a problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: