Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

age group of current VW hobbiest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

age of current vintage VW collector.
Birth to 25
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
age 26 to 35
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
age 36 to 45
23%
 23%  [ 51 ]
age 46 to 55
27%
 27%  [ 60 ]
age 56 to 65
24%
 24%  [ 54 ]
age over 66
10%
 10%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 220

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
This graying of the crowd is not at all limited to this VW hobby as stated above. One of my other hobbies is model airplanes and you are hard pressed to find a head that is not gray at any of those events.

I see the problem as being the lack of manual dexterity, motor skills and pride in accomplishment that comes with getting ones hands dirty. I look at the hands of the younger generation that have never touched anything outside of a key board and marvel at the lost potential there!

Here’s an example of young people enjoying racing and getting hands dirty. It’s been a constant here since 1987 and everyone seems to enjoy.

https://www.chilibowl.com/

The idea that kids aren’t up to par is not new

https://www.bartleby.com/73/195.html
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

I'm honestly impressed with that young man on the last page aged 14 who got his grandpa's Beetle. I'm seeing a lot of younger kids (think 14 and under) who are getting into interesting hobbies such as classic cars, model airplanes, etc. these days. I think with the advent of youtube being able to teach you just about anything, and kids ability to just soak up new information like a sponge, we have a lot of really amazing possibilities developing.

I personally just got my first VW only a year and a half ago and I just turned 35. I've been learning slowly and steadily, and there really is a pride in ownership. My only excuse is that my dad was a 60's hippie, so I always had that soft spot for 60's vehicles. I know the next generation of car enthusiasts are loving 90's vehicles though, and I don't blame them. I grew up as a kid seeing all the 90's civics on the road and I still sometimes pine after an early 90's civic hatch...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

Well, I guess each generation pines after what they saw as a kid. We just sold our '02 Lupo to a young fellow that was pinning after the early 2000 cars of his youth! Rolling Eyes

Damn! That's the era of cars I STILL drive! Shocked
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

I started at 18 and am now 60, so a good run with the same bus so far.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: age group of current VW hobbiest Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Well, I guess each generation pines after what they saw as a kid. We just sold our '02 Lupo to a young fellow that was pinning after the early 2000 cars of his youth! Rolling Eyes

Damn! That's the era of cars I STILL drive! Shocked

Agreed, times change but people don’t Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: