Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93 Eurovan rear hatch stuck
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
P+Ds81Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: 93 Eurovan rear hatch stuck Reply with quote

93 eurovan, anyone ever have an issue with the hatch getting stuck. I've oiled the handle, cycled the locks both manually with the key and with the central locking system. It sounds like the lock will lock and unlock freely but the handle just dosent seem to catch or want to open. I've also tried to open from the inside to no avail, any ideas?

Update: I yanked the hatch open and noticed that when I pulled up on the outside handle it did not seem to have enough movement to open/knock the locking mechanism, but the inside handle seemed to produce more movement. Anywho I oiled the locking mechanism unit and now with a couple of giggles of the handle it opens, could the problem be the handle or the locking mechanism or both?. Hope that rambling made some sense to someone.
T2T4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Rear hatch latch Reply with quote

Seems the pulling action is limited, maybe a small rod that pulls whn you pull the handle up. I've had my 93 GL for about 7 years, and haven't experienced the problem. Do you have a bentley manual to view what takes place when you pull the handle?...If not, let me know, and I'll locate and send you the diagram..
P+Ds81Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have not gotten around to getting a bentley yet. I'll probabably dig into to it next weekend, maybe see if the hatch panel is removeable, thanks.
klive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI there,
I know this thread is kind of old, but I am hoping some resolution was found? have a 93 eurovan with the same problem. I was thinking I should have WD-40-ed it, but I didn't, and the other day I closed the door, and now when I pull the handle the latch does not open. So, if anyone can suggest how to slim jim it from inside, that would be great, and the other thing I need to know is which position of the rear hatch lock corresponds to locked :#
Would it be when the key-entry line is horizontal, or veritcal?
thanks
klive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the key-line is vertical in the unlocked position, and if you get angry enough , you can rip open the cover for the rear door from the inside and at the very bottom of the latch assembly, on the RHS if you are in the van looking out the back, is a tiny threaded rod, maybe 1-2mm in diameter. If you pull up on this, the latch will open, but if the spring in your latch is toast (as mine is) good luck getting it to properly close again Embarassed Mad
P+Ds81Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Euro has moved on to new owners a few years ago. So you have got the gate open now or no? I can't remember exacly what I did to fix that sorry. But I think it may have involved wd-40 on all moving parts ie handle, latch etc. Good luck!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the vw emblem from the rear of the hatch and you can drill a hole about 1 1/2" dia. This gives you access to all the rods and you can lube them up and work them free. You should be able to find the one that goes down to the latch and get it to release. You'll have to glue the emblem and seal back on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis might not apply. But on my 95 EV, you disable the latch if the key is removed in one position, I don't recall if it is vertical or horizontal.

This is how it is designed so in a break-in, the autolocking will not open the rear hatch. This is handy on a camper since that leaves a large secure area in the back unless you have the key.

I don't know if the 93's had this.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
fifteenwindow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan rear hatch stuck Reply with quote

Hey, 3DPete and all.

I have accidentally disabled the rear latch by removing the key in the wrong position on my 95 camper. Any tips on re-enabling the rear hatch latch? The key will not rest in the vertical position, only both horizontals. It does open from the inside.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: the locking mechanism reset itself after a few cycles of locking and unlocking at the driver’s door. It has worked properly since the day after I messed it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: