Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sun and moon horn button
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quik55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Sun and moon horn button Reply with quote

I recently purchased a sun and moon horn button this past weekend. Not knowing if it's real or fake is killing me. I tried looking up information on it, but can't seem to find any. I would like to know more about about the button itself and if it's real or fake. Thank you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sundial, not a sun and a moon

I don't know real or not, but I would suggest the accessory forum instead of here
pink kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the one from OCTO? Didn't the $175 asking price reflect the fact it was a current production. Several people were discussing it when I was looking at it. I'm pretty sure most said it was a new piece due to the color hue of the Blue.
Here you go-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=696048
quik55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not the one from OCTO.... Also the horn button has more of a shine foil look to it. And no signs of paint marks to be found like the reproduction are. The man I bought it from had a collection of super rare parts also for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the issue..... In the 80's these "shinny" gold foil buttons were showing up in Europe at Camberg on quality cars. It was not easy to source an original for comparison and the quality of the button looked ok, so the US guys brought a few back here and put them on their early show cars. Soon they were accepted as original. They are not IMO. The originals have a dull gold and show much better "paint" where the lines converge. These shinny buttons show pooling of paint at the convergent lines, sort of like dots...........the originals are more precise and are obviousily better painted. Now, were these a "second generation" by Petri or a total reproduction??.......That's the real question. Personally, I would try to find an "early" dull gold version, if I was going to spend over $100 for any of these.
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Sundail horn button original or repop??
The back is gold and not blue like the one posted earlier.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Is this Sundail horn button original or repop??
The back is gold and not blue like the one posted earlier.

Anyone knows what to look for so I can tell if this is original or repop??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! Smile
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back of every original I have owned (3) are white...........on top of blue.....and finally gold (or from the inside to the finished surface......white, blue, and gold in three layers)
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
The back of every original I have owned (3) are white...........on top of blue.....and finally gold (or from the inside to the finished surface......white, blue, and gold in three layers)

Thanks Bob!
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
pink kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

So from your description, are these buttons reproduction? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1857830
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pink kitty wrote:
53 0val wrote:

So from your description, are these buttons reproduction? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1857830

I like both of those buttons personally, and would have no issue putting them on my car The way the colors were applied may have varied with production changes at the factory or different finish artists. I don't believe they have to be exactly the same in application........only in result. The muted gold suggests that they are both early buttons and not the later "second generation" Petri and they are not the current reproductions made is South America. So.........I'd give them a yes on originality. As for the buttons in your link........the seller is correct; the top two are second generation and not as well received by collectors.
vwraymund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun and moon horn button Reply with quote

Hello
What about this one?
I took it apart to clean, so i had the opportunity to see the inside.
White paint on the inside as also the Petri Lubeck button next to it.
It may now sit side by side with the St’ Christopher button.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: