Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Personally I would just put a good filter on the stock tank, run the Buggy and change the filter often. I think you guys would be shocked at the amount of rust in your own tanks on the cars you daily drive right now if it's more than a few years old.

That answer gets my vote! I would leave out the stock style bronze sock filter in the tank and run an external one under the tank. Perhaps a little larger, like a Wix 33001 instead of the 33011 seen in most Bugs. I'd use a see through one and change it when it starts looking ugly. In every old Bug I've had there was at least a little rust in the tank. One had some small rust holes patched with jb weld and I continued to run it in my buggy for about 8 years. The old terne plating only lasts so long.

That is a fine example of a buggy in a time capsule -- beautiful! Cool
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Damn, Don, I am (glitter) GREEN with envy! How cool is that to have been handed a piece of history, and family history at that!

Glad to hear you're moving that fuel filter. I would do a disc brake conversion as well. Good luck with a really cool buggy!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

You know, I always wanted to do a disc brake conversion on my Buggy so I bought the highly recommended EMPI front discs and installed them. To be real frank, if I had it to do over (and I just might) I would not go that route again. I ended up with less stopping power, not more. There no doubt will be less brake fade but I sacrificed stopping power.

Don't do upgrades to the brakes until you determine that it truly NEEDS it! With the present engine and drum brakes in good condition I doubt it does.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
You know, I always wanted to do a disc brake conversion on my Buggy so I bought the highly recommended EMPI front discs and installed them. To be real frank, if I had it to do over (and I just might) I would not go that route again. I ended up with less stopping power, not more. There no doubt will be less brake fade but I sacrificed stopping power.

Don't do upgrades to the brakes until you determine that it truly NEEDS it! With the present engine and drum brakes in good condition I doubt it does.

My drums/shoes were scary weak even being basically new. They might have been exacerbated possibly by old/rotting brake hoses up front. I bought an AC Industries no hassle kit from SoCal and have been very happy, I can actually avoid rear-ending other vehicles at a traffic light. I did end up getting different pads that don't shriek.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

I wonder how many "new" drum brake setups are "weak" due to the shoes not being arched to the drum. This used to be common practice on any brake job. Without arching the shoes, who knows what percentage of the shoe is actually contacting the drum? I took a different approach, and left the drums on the front, put discs on the back. I could always get my front brakes to lock up, but never the rear, so didnt feel I needed more brake on the front.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Lots of Buggy guys do that but no auto manufacturer ever has to my knowledge. My concern with that is that on the street in a long downhill situation where you can get brake fade, you could lose the fronts and only have rears.
Don Plumley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

I'm glad I started this project. Dad died a couple of weeks ago. A bit unexpected, but in the big picture it's for the best.

Anyway, this changes the urgency/dynamics of getting this done. My next step is to put the car on rollers, rent a storage space closer to me, and haul it up here. Probably need to find a vintage VW shop near me to tackle the brakes, etc.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Just saw Oprn post about front brakes vs rear brakes. Over the years, I have seen many people that forego having an emergency brake. Well, I have used the hell off the vw excellent emergency brake, to help me get started on my local hill streets, to control my descents offroad, wether on a dirt hill, or a big dune, trying not to swap ends. And guess what, its the back brakes that always come to the rescue. To the OP, I would encourage you to try doing things yourself, you will develop a much closer connection with your dads buggy.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Don Plumley wrote:
I'm glad I started this project. Dad died a couple of weeks ago. A bit unexpected, but in the big picture it's for the best.

Anyway, this changes the urgency/dynamics of getting this done. My next step is to put the car on rollers, rent a storage space closer to me, and haul it up here. Probably need to find a vintage VW shop near me to tackle the brakes, etc.

I'm sorry. Crying or Very sad It is awkward to see your parents going from who you turn to for strength, to them asking you for help. Of course happy to do it, but it reaches deep into the mind. To loose one is so much worse, and I'm sure harder than loosing my grandparents over the last 3 decades. The whole circle of life may be necessary, but it also sucks.

I would encourage you to do much of the work on the family buggy. It doesn't look to need too much and I encourage you to keep traditional.

With an old brake system I like to pull it all apart and do it from the ground up. All wheel cylinders, brake hoses, and the master cylinder get replaced. The hard lines get inspected and blown out with brake cleaner and then air to remove gunk. Then the brakes get put back together with new parts, at least any parts that see brake fluid. I often reuse drums and even shoes if they have good life in them and never have seen brake fluid, oil, or grease. I almost always reuse the drum brake hardware as the new stuff seems to be junk, or wrong, or both. It isn't hard to get the stock system to work they way VW intended.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Father! It's been many years now since I lost mine, I am 2 years short of his final age now and I still miss him. We worked together on all our VWs.

Yes - do get out the wrenches and work on it yourself. As John Muir says in his Keep Your VW Alive book (well worth the read, lots of good tips in there! Some ideas dated perhaps but so is the car...) "Get to know the beast that bares you."

Anyone that is dexter enough to work a fork can knife and fix them. Even the best of the best mechanics puts his pants on one leg at a time just like you. It's the "I can't" mindset that needs to be overcome, the ability is there!
Don Plumley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys. To be clear, I have the skills (built a Porsche Track Car). Time/Interest are different things. The point of working on it was to see if it would get my Dad interested in living. And I largely succeeded there (other than the dying part ;o).

Anyway, I need to get it off jackstands on onto rollers to get it out of his house or it's going to the auction block.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

The interest is an issue. I get that, I have started lots of projects and not finished due to my interests changing. This street Buggy for instance, I bought it, fixed it , changed a lot of things and it runs and drives pretty awesome now compared to what it was. Could I do more? Yup and I might but now I would rather have an MGTD/Mercedes/Porsche Spider replica or something like that. The only reason I have not sold our Manx copy is because my wife is not done with it. She grins like a school kid every time we take it out.

So sometimes we do things not so much for us but for someone close to us. Is there other family members - grandkids - sisters etc. that would enjoy seeing you put it back on the road? Enjoy driving it in the memory of your Dad?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Offering my condolences on your dad's passing.

He was blessed to have you. I imagine he was on top of the world inside, having something to talk with you about, and thinking about the activity involving his dune buggy in between visits. Looking forward to things. What a wonderful distraction for the mind and heart. I am hardpressed to think of a better gift to receive, or give for that matter.

It really doesn't matter what do do with the car now, that's up to you and what you decide you want for your own journey. It served is purpose perfectly for sharing his. I like the idea of finding a spot to store it for now.

Thank you for letting this light out for us to see.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Don Plumley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

The Glitter Bug lives!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(very*) long story short, I found a great shop in Santa Rosa to help get the Glitter Bug working. It was a much bigger project and would have been impossible to do on the garage floor. End result is a drivable bug, now in my storage unit. I feel good that I kept my promise to the old guy to get his bug running again.

The challenges the shop ran into:
- The fuel line in the tunnel was completely clogged. Since running a new line in the tunnel was out, and running a line under the chassis to a very rusty tank seemed like a poor idea, we put a 5 Gallon stainless tank on the hump. Put in a new fuel pump.

- The MC was shot, the remote reservoir unusable, lines shot, etc., etc. But the drums were in good shape, so it has brakes. Stopping didn't seem that sharp, but maybe that's the way drum brake VWs stop.

- After it was buttoned up, turns out the tranny mount is shot and the engine is moving a bit. It was fine from a visual, but we think the flatbed might have done something. We are going to run it a few miles and make sure the engine is all fine before dropping the motor to fix this.

On the good news side, the carb was in good enough condition to be rebuilt. He put in an electronic ignition. So she starts and runs great. Leakdown was good in 3 of 4 cyls, we think the 4th will come back with some use. Given that it does not weigh anything, pulls like a mule.

Was able to get some new tires on, and drove it on back streets the 10 miles from the shop to my storage. Once the weather warms up a bit (and drys out!), I'll try to run it a few more times to make sure all is good - especially those brakes. Couple of things I need to tend to are the speedo cable and the front seat slider. Then I'll figure out what the future holds.

So for now, the Glitter Bug runs again and has seen the light of day for the first time in 25+ years. It's a hoot to drive, but in the city you are very aware that every car next to you is 10x bigger/heavier. If I lived on a farm or in the very rural country, it would be a fun 4th vehicle.

Cheers!

Don

*In order to get AAA to tow the car from my dad's house it had to go to a shop (or my garage, potentially). They don't do "convenience" tows, so towing it to storage was not possible, and I was quoted $850 for a private tow Shocked . But as it turns out, it would have need to go to a shop as a few of these tasks are out of my time/resource/skill level.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

It looks awesome! I love that color.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Nice!
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Waking up Dad's '67 Glitter Bug Dune Buggy - Main Thread Reply with quote

Don Plumley wrote:
The Glitter Bug lives!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(very*) long story short, I found a great shop in Santa Rosa to help get the Glitter Bug working. It was a much bigger project and would have been impossible to do on the garage floor. End result is a drivable bug, now in my storage unit. I feel good that I kept my promise to the old guy to get his bug running again.

The challenges the shop ran into:
- The fuel line in the tunnel was completely clogged. Since running a new line in the tunnel was out, and running a line under the chassis to a very rusty tank seemed like a poor idea, we put a 5 Gallon stainless tank on the hump. Put in a new fuel pump.

- The MC was shot, the remote reservoir unusable, lines shot, etc., etc. But the drums were in good shape, so it has brakes. Stopping didn't seem that sharp, but maybe that's the way drum brake VWs stop.

- After it was buttoned up, turns out the tranny mount is shot and the engine is moving a bit. It was fine from a visual, but we think the flatbed might have done something. We are going to run it a few miles and make sure the engine is all fine before dropping the motor to fix this.

On the good news side, the carb was in good enough condition to be rebuilt. He put in an electronic ignition. So she starts and runs great. Leakdown was good in 3 of 4 cyls, we think the 4th will come back with some use. Given that it does not weigh anything, pulls like a mule.

Was able to get some new tires on, and drove it on back streets the 10 miles from the shop to my storage. Once the weather warms up a bit (and drys out!), I'll try to run it a few more times to make sure all is good - especially those brakes. Couple of things I need to tend to are the speedo cable and the front seat slider. Then I'll figure out what the future holds.

So for now, the Glitter Bug runs again and has seen the light of day for the first time in 25+ years. It's a hoot to drive, but in the city you are very aware that every car next to you is 10x bigger/heavier. If I lived on a farm or in the very rural country, it would be a fun 4th vehicle.

Cheers!

Don

*In order to get AAA to tow the car from my dad's house it had to go to a shop (or my garage, potentially). They don't do "convenience" tows, so towing it to storage was not possible, and I was quoted $850 for a private tow Shocked . But as it turns out, it would have need to go to a shop as a few of these tasks are out of my time/resource/skill level.

Best post I've read all month. Reading this post that another buggy was saved really made my day and I can get back to it. I also lost my dad (back in November) and his garage is where I work on all my cars and we keep his memory alive in there like a museum.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: