Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy 356 parts?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Interesting Whitewalls sounds like you know what to do! I was a toolmaker way back its a good grounding but did the machines I operated back in the early 60's change to those of today!! Still principles still are a constant.

Yes, International Mercantile were great for me too. And it was all done on internet as I live in the wet UK !! Stoddard been using them from the mid 1970's and never had a problem so far.

Roy
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Ordered wheels and tires. They arrived Tuesday. Spent last weekend replacing a Muncie M21 Tranny with a Muncie M22 Rock Crusher tranny in a 69 Camaro. Saturday was an 11 hour day, and Sunday was a 4 hour day. What should have been an easy job wasn't, nothing wanted to fit. So this weekend I might have to give a little time to my wife, so not sure if anything will be done to the 356. We'll see though. The wife isn't to excited about going anywhere right now, so I might make it out to the shop. I'll take pictures for sure. Even if I just pull the cover back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Porsche Parts and Spares for 356 Pre A 356A, 356B and 356C ...

www.stoddard.com/porsche-356.html

Stoddard Porsche Parts stocks thousands of parts and spares to restore and maintain your Porsche 356. Our efforts to help keep 356s on the road started in the 1970s with our rust repair panels, like floor pans and new rocker panels.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Thank you. I will definetly look at Stoddard Porsche Parts.
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Dug it out today. Been sitting covered like this for close to 18 years. The last registration tag on it is 1993. I need to do a little organizing in the shop, then go through and figure out what parts I need to get. The first goal is to get the brakes on it, and wheels and tires, so it's a roller. Then push it out side and clean it up. Then carb rebuilds and fuel system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Looks like that will turn out a nice car from the photos!

Roy
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

big fat whitewalls wrote:
Dug it out today. Been sitting covered like this for close to 18 years. The last registration tag on it is 1993. I need to do a little organizing in the shop, then go through and figure out what parts I need to get. The first goal is to get the brakes on it, and wheels and tires, so it's a roller. Then push it out side and clean it up. Then carb rebuilds and fuel system.

Cool license plate on the bug!
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

The plate on the Bug is fake. The poor old Bug has been sitting for almost 15 years. It's a 67 with a 2110cc motor with dual 44 webers. Time gets away.
Steve F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Just love that garage!!! Nice 356 too!!! Cool
ryzrydz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

hi bfw saw your pics. your car looks like good project. nice body. so you got your new tires and wheels. you still have hubs brakes spindles? that would help you. the key is the time to sit next to it and visualize the work and the solutions. you have nice basket with headlights tail lights bee hives etc.? that will also help you. looks like you moved it out front. good. blow dust off and spend time with it. the luxury is to monkey with the parts, how do they fit. to have the time to see what the builders intended, behind the curtain. good luck
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

ryzrydz, Yes the 356 is sitting front and center, but it's still sitting. Other unexpected projects got in the way. I do have brand new wheels and tires sitting here for it. I have all the brake and hub parts. I have pretty much everything for the car. Yes I do sit and stare at it. I'm good at visualizing how something will look. I was hoping to get it running this summer, but that might not happen now, but the winters here suck, so if I can work on the car to keep myself motivated during the winter, it will be a good project to keep me active.
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Haven't posted on here for a long time. Life sure gets in the way, health problems for the wife, liver transplant. Talk about something taking up your time. Been a year and a half since the transplant. She's doing well now, but it sure took awhile to get that figured out. Lots of problems with medicine. Anyway, her health is getting better, and she's doing well. I retired early, 63 1/2 so I could take care of her. Retirement is nice. I turn 65 on the 17th of this month. As far as the Porsche, I cleaned it out and inventoried all the parts that I have. It looks like I have everything I need as far as hard parts. I will need some rubber parts, and probably carb kits. I'm going to try and start it without rebuilding the carbs. As of tonight it has front disk brakes, stock rear drum brakes, new rubber lines, new master cylinder. Brakes are bled, and work good. For the first time in 20 some years, it's sitting on 4 wheels. Spark Plugs are removed, the oil in the motor looks brand new. Put a borescope in the cylinders and looks great inside, can still she the cross hatch on the cylinder walls. Engine turns over by hand. Distributor isn't in the motor, but I'm pretty sure I know where it is. Might just put an 09 in it for now, I have one of those.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Distributor isn't in the motor, but I'm pretty sure I know where it is. Might just put an 09 in it for now, I have one of those.

It will run, but like crap. Find the VJ4BR18, your engine will be happy.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Distributor isn't in the motor, but I'm pretty sure I know where it is. Might just put an 09 in it for now, I have one of those.

It will run, but like crap. Find the VJ4BR18, your engine will be happy.

It ran with an 09 in it before, long ago when it ran, but I do want to put the correct distributor in it. I'm pretty sure I know right where it is. Thanks for the advise though.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

You sound like you know what you're doing Whitewall. Great looking car!
One piece of advice - you said you were going to try to run it on the old carbs without refreshing them.
If you aren't already aware the gas tank is higher than the carburetor needle valves. If those old valves leak you can fill a cylinder with gasoline and it will hydrolock when you try to start it.
ALWAYS turn the fuel tap off when you shut the engine down. ESPECIALLY with old carbs.
big fat whitewalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
You sound like you know what you're doing Whitewall. Great looking car!
One piece of advice - you said you were going to try to run it on the old carbs without refreshing them.
If you aren't already aware the gas tank is higher than the carburetor needle valves. If those old valves leak you can fill a cylinder with gasoline and it will hydrolock when you try to start it.
ALWAYS turn the fuel tap off when you shut the engine down. ESPECIALLY with old carbs.

Thanks for the advise. I'm sure I'll be rebuilding the carbs soon. I just want to see if it will start the way it is. I haven't touched it since my last post. The gas tank is out of the car. The gas tank is clean inside. The sender is out, but I have it, the fuel tap is out too. I don't think I have the screws to put the sender in, and the fitting that comes out of the fuel tap and goes to the gas line is missing too. I'll look through the boxes of parts again and see if I can find them.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy 356 parts? Reply with quote

Do you know Hagerty ins. sells a policy for restoration very affordable and covers your car with just pictures incase the unxpected happens and you start it up and a float sinks and the carb floods and sets the car on fire or some lowlife finds out you have it and steals it plus you are covered for test drives. You have a chunk of money sitting there so I hope its insured.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: