Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vapor line routing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveGIndy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Vapor line routing Reply with quote

I'm having trouble finding the clips that hold the hard vapor line that runs along the passengers side body mounting bolts from the front to the charcoal canister. Any idea where I can get some or suggestions as to what might work instead? Thanks!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vapor line routing Reply with quote

(people might say 'why do you want to install those, you don't need them' but for me, for a stock car/engine, it's best to have all the fuel system intact)

Here are some in the classified ads:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2583886

Things Unlimited might have them also.

They are used on other VW's besides Things and I know I've seen them here in the ads.
SteveGIndy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vapor line routing Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I see lots of people complaining about gas fume smell and it seems they forgot that VW designed a complete system to handle this. Leave it off or don't make sure it works then complain about the stink..
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vapor line routing Reply with quote

My thing always smelled even with everything hooked up correctly and new rubber components!

Am doing a restoration now and am planning to eliminate all that stuff. A local expert on Things with MANY of them says skip it all though his solution of a rubber hose up along the windshield to the top is not being loved by me (But could it work?)

I am gonna save relevant canisters etc and maybe reinstall if necessary? BUT never worked anyway. Spend hours and hours in the past on this.

As a new snowmobiler I will say snowmobiles always smell and all your coats and pants smell so What the Hay?
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vapor line routing Reply with quote

I had cleaned my vapor lines out a while back, noticed the clear lines to the canister under the front hood had liquid in a few places blocking flow so I got a air gun nozzle and disconnected the lines in the rear, removed the canister and tried to blow the lines out.
It took a while but I eventually got them all clear of the liquid.
Also installed the gas smell kit from TTS and after doing all that the smell pretty much went away.
I remember it taking a bit so be patient.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vapor line routing Reply with quote

SteveGIndy wrote:
Thanks for the help! I see lots of people complaining about gas fume smell and it seems they forgot that VW designed a complete system to handle this. Leave it off or don't make sure it works then complain about the stink..

Exactly. If the original fuel filler and vapour recovery components are present and properly installed the inside of the car will not stink of gasoline. If you stick your nose inside the engine bay you'll get some fuel smell obviously.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: