Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SMS Auto Fabrics
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

I ordered some custom material that SMS said they could do. Prior to giving them a $1,350 deposit, I got a written quote from Doug that it takes about 8 weeks for the material to get made. That was 14 weeks ago.

The front desk always says “I’ll check with Doug and get back to you”, or “Doug’s not in, I’ll have him call you tomorrow.” (Nobody ever returns calls or emails)

Yesterday when the front desk said that he’s out in the warehouse, I asked if he could be paged. That seemed to aggravate the operator. They tried, then returned with no luck.

I informed them that I have a deposit down since April, with zero replies on status. Not even a ballpark completion window date. She replied she’s only in customer service Question and I said I will have to cancel my order and go elsewhere. She replied: “you can’t cancel the order! Nobody else can manufacture the material!” Then she hung up on me.

Anyone have success with SMS Auto Fabrics?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

I’ve used them. Doug was slow but eventually came through.

My experience on the phone was similar to yours.

Unless you want a large quantity of material they may be your only option.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I’ve used them. Doug was slow but eventually came through.

My experience on the phone was similar to yours.

Unless you want a large quantity of material they may be your only option.

Can I ask how long was your wait time til you received the material?
(And I’m just getting material, not seat covers)
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sms-auto-fabrics-canby

http://www.thehogring.com/2018/01/25/sms-buys-competitor-original-auto-interiors/

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67663&posts=47
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

Ordered fabric from SMS for my 1962 German delivery Ghia and got the cloth four months later and am very pleased. The material is excellent and is a close match to the original. Would use them again. Trick is to order well in advance of when you will need it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

I ordered a door panel set for my 66 Ghia in June of 2021. Doug told me that they'd made the 61-66 style door panels before and knew how to do them. I sent him several pics of 66 door panels to make sure he knew how they should look, and that the door latch is the later style. I wanted the 66 single-color style in off-white. He said no problem, and that they would be ready in 3 months.

3 months went by - now Sep 2021 - and was told they'd be ready Jan 2022 because they were short staffed due to covid. Jan 2022 came and went, and repeatedly I was given multiple completion dates...which all came and went. July 2022 a new person named Kim emailed me and said they'd be ready in August. August came and went and was then told in October they'd be "shipping any day". October came and went, and finally at the end of Dec 2022, a full year and a half after ordering, I received my door panels.

I opened the box to find this. I was not happy.

If you know what 61-66 Ghia door panels look like, you'll immediately spot the first error. There are supposed to be 4 stripes made with 5 heat seams on the front panels, and 5 stripes made with 6 heat seams on the rear panels. They left off the upper seam on both panels.
And if you know what 64 and later Ghia door panels are supposed to look like, you'll spot the 2nd mistake. They used 63 and earlier backing panels. Am I supposed to carve out the larger opening for my 66 door latch, and just hope I get the size and shape right?! WTF!

I know it sounds like nit picking - oh no they left off a stripe!, oh no the backing panel needs to be cut! - but for $850 a set, these should be PERFECT. These aren't cheap $200 TMI door panels.

I've emailed them with no response. And honestly I don't expect to get one. These people are crooks, who take your money and treat you like shit, and send you a flawed product. Stay the hell away from SMS.

And for anyone not familiar with 61-66 Ghia door panels, here's some examples of how they should look

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

I ordered a set of SMS Ghia door panels from them a few years ago and it took two years to get them, after they said it would only take three months. The best part is you have to pay the full amount up front, so you have no recourse against them. When they shipped my panels they just threw them in a box with no no packing and they arrived damage. I had to send them back to get them fixed. They also used a masonite backing board instead of the original card stock which makes them really heavy. Unfortunately, they are the only US source I know of that makes accurate low light Ghia door panels with the correct vinyl and heat seams. As I remember I had to contact them through email since they didn't answer their phones. It would have been really nice to talk to someone in person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: