Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

You just never know
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If itscacSuperfund site activity is public, but those reports aren’t written overnight. There will be a site admin posted at the epa website once the paperwork catches up

What’s the nature of the radioactivity ?

Cobalt…medical?

Thorium…aerospace?

Other ?

The local news media mentioned type of material but I’ve forgotten it already. I get the feeling they want to downplay citizens concerns, sound familiar? Someone here carried this info for over 50 years and told no one as the area was undeveloped but I guess we are fortunate they had a conscience and came clean. The area is now zoned for retail business use so I’m guessing it will be a parking lot etc.

Less than a year ago there was a proposal to build an amusement park in same area but thankfully that got shot down by the homeowners nearby. Whatever the outcome I’ll be watching😀
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
typ914 wrote:
It is not always big companies. We had a neighbor dig a big hole in his yard and started dumping old paint in it. He was an immigrant paint contractor and that’s how they did in his home country. The proper authority was contacted and stopped him and made him clean it up. The official said if it made it into the water shed our whole neighborhood could have been condemned!

I used to work road construction in the summers while I was in college, and every single day we would fill a 5-gallon bucket with diesel fuel and dip our shovels in it to keep the hot asphalt from sticking to them.

At the end of the day, whatever was still in the bucket got dumped into the nearest drainage ditch or storm drain; probably about 15 gallons of diesel went straight into the ground water every week.

That was 30 years ago and I still feel bad about it.

In the early 80s I worked offshore oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. All of the trash went into a metal mesh basket the size of a car. It was doused with diesel fuel hung over the water using a crane and burned. Some went up in smoke, some dripped into water and the solids either floated away or sank. We used all kinds of chemicals including trichloroethane for cleaning everything including our hands, why? Because we didn’t know any better and this predated employee rights to know MSDS. Being ignorant can have negative consequences.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
My Dad worked for 25+ years at E.I. Dupont (now Savannah River Site), otherwise known as "The Bomb Plant." Died of cancer - he was a non-smoker but did carpool with a bunch of smokers.

I can't imagine what goes on out there.

Dupont has a horrible history of using PFOA or C8. They used it for over 40 years even though they knew it was toxic. They dumped it in the Ohio River and poisoned everything.

https://www.scienceweeklyblog.com/post/the-horrors-of-the-dupont-chemical-poisoning-scandal

From what I remember, the chemical won't break down, and can be found in every living thing tested worldwide.

But at least your eggs don't stick to the pan anymore.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

GAF ViewMaster's old site in Beaverton, Oregon squeaked under being designated a Superfund site and was listed as a Brownfield, so only fell under state regulations for clean up. they'd been dumping solvents on the property since the '50's. We had a couple of friends who worked there for years and both passed from cancer.

"Water samples collected from the facility's water supply well in March 1998 contained trichloroethylene (TCE) at levels up to 1,670 ppb, well above the federal Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) of 5 ppb. "

https://www.deq.state.or.us/lq/ECSI/ecsidetail.asp?seqnbr=2195

Rolling Eyes

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
GAF ViewMaster's old site in Beaverton, Oregon...

The GAF site was one of two Oregon sites I thought of when I saw this thread. The other is JH Baxter in Eugene. When I worked at Baxter, there was concrete containment and other controls so I'd expect much of the groundwater pollution occurred in the 1940-1970's. Once the penta and dioxins get in there though, it's there for good and is still spreading. The sticky stuff in the dirt like creosote can be mitigated and airborne fumes do dissipate so not permanent. When established, the site was on the outskirts of town and I was always amazed that residential areas were allowed to build around it. When it came to health, I was more focused on things like not getting crushed to death but I could see houses nearby and wondered how those people could stand the fumes and what the health effects were.

The modus operandi saying they have about Baxter and other companies - Pollute, Dispute, and Scoot - is true. On the other hand, everyone wants high quality infrastructure and this was one of companies that made it; they were known around the world for excellent products and service. Municipalities/taxpayers were their customers and now those same Municipalities/taxpayers are paying for the tail end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If itscacSuperfund site activity is public, but those reports aren’t written overnight. There will be a site admin posted at the epa website once the paperwork catches up

What’s the nature of the radioactivity ?

Cobalt…medical?

Thorium…aerospace?

Other ?

Yes thorium 232

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-232
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Pretty much anywhere with train tracks is a superfund site.

And it will never be cleaned up properly. Why? Because if any one town gets their site properly cleaned, then it sets a precedence and every town with train tracks all across America would want theirs cleaned the same way.

So they replace topsoil and build water barriers. Placebo.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Pretty much anywhere with train tracks is a superfund site.

And it will never be cleaned up properly. Why? Because if any one town gets their site properly cleaned, then it sets a precedence and every town with train tracks all across America would want theirs cleaned the same way.

So they replace topsoil and build water barriers. Placebo.

No trains here this was trucked in and dumped in the 70s. As people ask questions the plot thickens and now a search is underway to find out just who may have dumped this shit. The surrounding area has been devalued and someone is going to pay. The lawsuits and investigations are just beginning. Turns out Thorium 232 is some very bad shit and it doesn’t just go away in a few years.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

The good news with Thorium is it is easy to find who used it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: