Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trailing arm washers
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: trailing arm washers Reply with quote

I am presenly replacing my torsion arm bushings. Can someone tell me if a large flat washer is supposed to go on both sides of bushings or just the inside? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using stock or urethane parts? I suggest Urethane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a washer on each side of the bushings the bolt head does not go in all the way
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With stock bushings you will have jounce, bounce and undesired looseness. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Torsion arm bushings Reply with quote

I just replaced my torsion arm bushings and do not recall a washer. If you are thinking of the control arm there are two large flat washers. I used the urethane both for the torsion arm and contol arm bushings and had no trouble. The large bolt for the control arm needs to be lined up before it will go in and that took alittle work. Otherwise no problems.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem, I had 2 washers stuck to the inside mounting point of trailing arm bracket. I guess the good news is that I finally found that elusive washer-the bad news? I have to install the trailing arm for the 3rd time. Thanks for the help, and yes I am installing the urethane bushings.
Lance1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All-
All the books that I have warn to place both washers on the outside (by the bolt head) and I have followed that direction for some 35 years.
-John

If you don't know what you are doing, please don't do it at my place without asking for help!
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to put my trailing arms back on and wanted to remind others that the two washers go on the outboard side. I had wrongfully assumed that one washer went on each side.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxhead wrote:
I am about to put my trailing arms back on and wanted to remind others that the two washers go on the outboard side. I had wrongfully assumed that one washer went on each side.

Firstly you weren't wrong and you can put a washer on either side.

I think in the case of washers and pivot box's it is important to understand what they do and what they are their for.

You must have one on the outside ( Bolt Head Side) as that is what holds the pivot bushing in place. If you don't have one there then the pivot bolt shoulder will push past the outer bushing and onto the inner sleeve. When it gets done up tight the bushing can then float out of the arm. If this happens then the arms can move around, the bushing gets flogged and pivot bolts come loose.

From Factory both washers go on the outside according to most manuals and pictures. In reality the purpose of the 2nd washer is to allow adjustment and it can be placed on either side to change tow in and tow out. You can run up to 3 washers ( one more than factory) on a pivot box and still be in factory spec.

The only rules to remember

1 - You must have at least one washer on the outside
2 - You must have at least 2 washers but no more than 3
3 - ALWAYS tab punch the outside of the pivot box onto the bolt head grooves to stop it coming loose.

This applies to ALL Type 1 and Type 3 IRS Trailing arms. If anyone tells you different get them to explain why they feel that way .
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Iguana - good to know!
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: trailing arm washers Reply with quote

WASHER QUESTIONS STILL!!!

ALright everything I read says 2 washers on outside of trailing arms. Got it!

BUT since the nut on the frame for the trailing arm bolt sticks out from the frame when I install this way and tighten the bolt it squishes the outer rubber bushing but not the inner, and at the inner there is a space (because the metal sleeve inside the bushing hits the protruding nut).

Really looks like you need 2 inner washers (they fit there perfectly!) AND at least one (but logically 2 for strength) outer washer
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: trailing arm washers Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can put the chisel in the opening on the inner bushing! If I put 2 more washes here then the space fills up. The washers fit over the protruding nut welded on the frame
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: trailing arm washers Reply with quote

Put on outside
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: