Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:
Doesn't ISPWest have them or are they sold out?

I don't think we've ever had Type 3 horse hair pads. I know we sell the WW Beetle/Bus pads, and whatever TMI offers as well.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barracudabrendon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Does anybody have pics of what my 1964 N model squareback interior panels would have looked like, can't seem to find any pics. N model stuff seems to be non existent, starting to regret this purchase lol.
1964 N Model Squareback
Ruthless Fastback Drag car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

This one is ratty but Kris has more pics in the gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barracudabrendon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Thanks!!
1964 N Model Squareback
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Having owned an N model - the interior panels will be the hardest part to find for the car - most of the rest of the parts are hard to find but not impossible - you have to know what to look for.

The armrests on the door are early Beetle parts.

There's a beautiful simplicity to the N model - they're much more rare than the S model in the real world.

I'll see if I can dig up pictures of my old car/interior that'll be useful to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barracudabrendon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

That would be awesome, thank you.
1964 N Model Squareback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Just so happen that there's a guy in Europe selling an N model - his pictures are better than mine would be (if I could find them), so here they are:

All of the interior panels (except the hatch) are different on the N model (IIRC) - the door panels are one piece, the rear seat area are different material and the rear seats only have one ashtray (Beetle part) on the right side. The cargo area side panels are held in at the top by a rail (S model is topped with plastic trim).

There's a thread here that goes into the differences between the two models - might be useful if you haven't seen it yet:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212733

That should get you headed in the right direction.

Last edited by ataraxia on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Just so happen that there's a guy in Europe selling an N model - his pictures are better than mine would be (if I could find them), so here they are:

Any more info about the u der dash tray? I have a similar in my 64 notch.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

D-train wrote:

Post pics of the one you have. their were several types available but these wicker types were pretty popular. All of these cars were being used in europe when new and they were the first thing a new buyer would have bought because you needed quick access to you papers crossing borders. My notchback reciepts show the car sold 6/3/63 and the Gepäckablage (shelf), mudflaps, seatbelts, and spare bulb kit the morning of 6/4/1963

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
D-train wrote:

Post pics of the one you have. their were several types available but these wicker types were pretty popular. All of these cars were being used in europe when new and they were the first thing a new buyer would have bought because you needed quick access to you papers crossing borders. My notchback reciepts show the car sold 6/3/63 and the Gepäckablage (shelf), mudflaps, seatbelts, and spare bulb kit the morning of 6/4/1963

Not the best pics I have, but the brackets and stuff look the same.

Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

This may be a stupid question, would anyone even want my original upholstery once I replace it? I would be happy to donate it (NOT sell) to someone with need. I plan to replace with TMI Cloth and not vinyl of similar pattern.
I don't like vinyl!
Just wondering? This is my planned winter project.

The Rear Seat cover covering original upholstery

Original upholstery
Driver Seat: Pretty grimy

Rear Back: Other than rotten at the top, it looks good

And found it had a center arm rest

Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Somebody will want that narrow stripe original material! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

I’d snatch it up if it was the red for mine. Wonder what green would look like in it…
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
This may be a stupid question, would anyone even want my original upholstery once I replace it? I would be happy to donate it (NOT sell) to someone with need. I plan to replace with TMI Cloth and not vinyl of similar pattern.
I don't like vinyl!

Original upholstery

Id love to have it!! It may be too late or too much to ask but take as much care removing it as you are willing to do.
1965 Notchback S
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Someone asked for it in a PM just before you sent your request.
Apologies, That stated. If they back down. I will keep your request as the alternate.

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
Ossipon wrote:
I don't like vinyl!

Original upholstery

Id love to have it!! It may be too late or too much to ask but take as much care removing it as you are willing to do.

Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

I know, and while I think I could have sold these. I am a generous, giving type of person. As you have experienced directly Cool

The only caveats were the requester has to wait until Nov-Dec (I said it was a Winter project) and pay for the shipping.

I plan on removing the original upholstery carefully. Not so careful on the overlay seat covers as they are rotten at the seams.
Water
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I know, and while I think I could have sold these. I am a generous, giving type of person. As you have experienced directly Cool

The only caveats were the requester has to wait until Nov-Dec (I said it was a Winter project) and pay for the shipping.

I plan on removing the original upholstery carefully. Not so careful on the overlay seat covers as they are rotten at the seams.

Yes save the OG stuff till you have new stuff figured out. If you want that OG loog the surrounding vinyl and piping is near impossible to find. I think that gray/off white striped vinyl is out there.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

I am replacing the interior of my 65 Notchback and have run into a discrepancy on the year specific seat back patterns. Looking for input from the T3 community so I don't order the wrong covers. I'm working with Sewfine and they have two different patterns: 64 and earlier the band between the front and back continues across the top of the seat back. Here's an example:

65 and later band is only on the sides and the front wraps over the top. Here's an example:

My original seat covers are long gone but the replacements have the band across the top which leads me to believe the original covers on these seats had the band across the top. However, the top on my old covers is a very poor fit which is why I'm trying to confirm the seat frame. The poor fit could be as simple as age or poor installation.

Here are some photos of my seat frames, wondering if anyone can confirm these frames are the early version, side band continues around the top, or the later version, band only on the side, front cover wraps over the top.

Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

GearheadJim wrote:
I am replacing the interior of my 65 Notchback and have run into a discrepancy on the year specific seat back patterns. Looking for input from the T3 community so I don't order the wrong covers. ....
Here are some photos of my seat frames, wondering if anyone can confirm these frames are the early version, side band continues around the top, or the later version, band only on the side, front cover wraps over the top.

I am comparing my upholstery How To and your frame. Mine is a 1964 Notch S. The first picture shows the original upholstery as discovered. As you say. it has the side band.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=767873&highlight=
I do see some frame differences if you look at mine vs yours. Yours has flat metal pieces that look like they curve and are welded near the top round of the frame. Mine does not have that element. (Scroll through the pictures, and also my gallery and you will see what I mean compared to your frame) You will see my replacement upholstery uses the side band design, although mine is NOT OEM fabric style. I chose purposefully not to go original vintage, but meet my desires while retaining original look.
I do have more pictures that I did not upload for my How-to.
Water
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

GearheadJim wrote:
I am replacing the interior of my 65 Notchback and have run into a discrepancy on the year specific seat back patterns. Looking for input from the T3 community so I don't order the wrong covers. I'm working with Sewfine and they have two different patterns: 64 and earlier the band between the front and back continues across the top of the seat back. Here's an example:

You have early seats. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: