Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how about some combustion chamber pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

sled wrote:
jpaull wrote:
sled wrote:
just let it go jpaull.

its like you can't stand to have people with differing opinions than you and keep beating it into us until we say, "you're right! theres lots of shiny chambers on google images so they must be better!"

I personally would like to try coated chambers/exhaust ports and piston tops on my turbo 2234 build Twisted Evil

Not sure where your getting that from, I clearly said im not trying change the minds of folks that believe otherwise. To each their own. Maybe you need to let it go, not everyone is gonna jump on the 80% samba bandwagon that you usually ride either.

what bandwagon is that?

Can we put our dicks away and move on before what was turning out to be a really interesting thread gets locked?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Can we put our dicks away and move on before what was turning out to be a really interesting thread gets locked?

Aw, geez, was my camera on again? Sorry... Embarassed
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
jpaull wrote:
sled wrote:
just let it go jpaull.

its like you can't stand to have people with differing opinions than you and keep beating it into us until we say, "you're right! theres lots of shiny chambers on google images so they must be better!"

I personally would like to try coated chambers/exhaust ports and piston tops on my turbo 2234 build Twisted Evil

Not sure where your getting that from, I clearly said im not trying change the minds of folks that believe otherwise. To each their own. Maybe you need to let it go, not everyone is gonna jump on the 80% samba bandwagon that you usually ride either.

discalimer- i dont claim to be an expert at most of what you guys are talking about, but i do have some experiance on the polishing topic. also, please dont think im telling anyone what to do. last time i added in my experiances i had some grumpy ass man telling me that i was wrong for suggesting a standard retractable three point seat belt lol. paull mentioned polishing the combustioned chambers idea to me a year or two ago. i wanted to believe him and i sort of did. anyways, a month or so later it was time for me to rebuild my win 100 clone(honda bike engine, in which is aircooled very much like our engines with high compression. the chamber is a different shape however.), and i wanted to see if he was correct in the fact that polishing the chamber reduces the rate of carbon build up. around 50 hours of hard riding and the chamber looks almost the same as when it was polished. yet, the spark plug is much darker. same as for the exhaust port in which was not polished. now i just gotta trace mt third oil leak. Evil or Very Mad now, is this the super high teck testingyou all were hoping for? no. but it is something. i dont see why it would hurt to try it out yourselfs. and like brian said, maintaining good cylinder head temps is a big deal for us. why wouldnt you want your engine to run even two degrees cooler? its not like your dumping money into your build just to achieve shiny chambers.

It worked out good then!! Nothing like a little trial and error, or trial and WIN! You have it tuned well, and clean up is easy huh😊😊

I had the same experience with my aircooled GY6 4 valve chamber, lots of hard riding and only a light film over the polished chamber.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

some ceramic coatinga are like a mirrior polished serface. Ive done many of those.woirks great. those ls guys have a little more$ and different engine than ours.along with probably a lot more sofistacated tuning ability. yes shinney works yes rough works.yes shiney is harder for the carbon to build ou on than the rough. and yes the ls has very good squish and can keep the carbon off eazer, the ls is also not a whoreazontle engine that tends to oil the cylinders just sitting, those ls engines also usualy dont tend to putt around like grandmaw thinking they are bad with thier rusty fenders and wonkey camber.....those guys build thiers like that to run...to out run....and to up grade and out run the next guys that think they are somebody...not just look at me Im a bug with a cam with a stinger trying to be skeery....look out I might bite you..as I idle around... yes I know there are a few guys that do drive thier bugs, mine was a true daily driver the entire 17 years I owned it. and no grandmaw ever drove it for thse 17 years. there are a very few like that.and a few that have some bad bugs that come out every so offten. . the argument of whoos got the biggest dick for sure isnat in the vw seen... but keep playing with it and it might explode on somebodys ls... now comes the argument of is ls the best?? fuck no it isant. it's the best gm has come up with so far.but yet these killer ls are usualy like our killer vw's ..nothing left of gm like nothing left of the vw..but perhaps a gear or 2. so back to the head posting!!! ( no dickheads please) eye wood post some pics but I dont remember how and...my drop box is...gone. effing puter crash from win10, now back to 7 and havent put drop box on it. Im waithing for the earth quake. side note my 13.8 cr 340(vCool had polished chambers and pistin tops.masive amount of squish, about a .800" x.350"deep flame hole/fire hole in the piston dome,had no pinging issue at all with pump gass and no carbon buildup issues either on head or piston. 2, 830 cfm hollys on tunnel ram,r278 roller. daily driver daily 8000 rpm shifts. 3 year tear down intervals.most just for the fun of it.or to try /add something small to seee what it will do or not. at 1 point it had divited inserts in the intake runners to see a change.as a result I could leen it down just a tad.( narrow band on that car back in the late 80's so awsome for tuning!!) there was also massive amount of expensive epoxie in the ex ports to make then almost 1/3 smaller with a better shape. that was one money making car.one that I wish I had never sold off to build a new car. i sure miss it. funny it had the same stroke as my 2332 but it had a 6.125" rod it would come to life around 4400 rpm like pushing the button. oh somuch fun. my 2332 had good tq the entire power band with the 5.5 rods...and a lot smaller cam. thus the reason why I pulled it down to put in a roller....way tomany years ago.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

come on Luke, lets see yours!!

Laughing

dang I wish Mark could use paragraphs
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

The greatest trick Mark has ever pulled was convincing the world he was actually incoherent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
The greatest trick Mark has ever pulled was convincing the world he was actually incoherent.

He makes a lot of sense and has some good info if you're willing to decipher it!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Dauz wrote:

He makes a lot of sense and has some good info if you're willing to decipher it!

Yes I think he does - something about a Chrysler 340...

This one is not a task for the faint of heart or weak of eyes though. Wink I have seen him post things at times that are quite clear.

Last edited by oprn on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

What's up w/ the 4 extra stud holes? Porsche?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Dauz wrote:

those look like the newer "super street eliminators" from CB. The six stud option is often used on turbo engines with high boost.

I think I remember Dauz talking about a 2387 turbo monster at one point. Happy to see a big turbo engine using proper combustion chambers!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

so far you win.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

pretty similar but laid back on the plug side a bit more. Maybe the short turn air speed likes a bit more room to make the pressure drop more even around the valve?
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Dauz wrote:

They're comp Es. High boost setup.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
So, just for discussion...thermal barrier coatings have been well received, and used in most every form of racing for over 30 years. The theory is to keep the heat in the chamber where the heat can be used to make more power rather than absorbed into the head as wasted energy. So would a thermal barrier coating be similar to a polished chamber, or a rough and carbon coated chamber? One might reflect the heat back into the chamber, and the other one might insulate the head from the heat...

I did some research a few years back on thermal barrier coatings, and what convinced me to polish the chambers instead of coating them was a Master's thesis written in 2012 for the Dept. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto, entitled The Influence of Thermal Barrier Coating Surface Roughness on Spark-Ignition Engine Performance and Emissions. It was a very well-done scientific experiment comparing the effects of different types of surfaces on the piston crown of an internal combustion engine, namely rough copper coated, metal Thermal Barrier Coating, and polished to a mirror finish. Here’s an excerpt from the conclusion:

“Engine testing of the rough baseline copper coating and the metal TBC demonstrated that piston crown finish played an important role in engine performance. Measurable improvements in engine output and fuel consumption as a result of polishing were attributed to reduced heat transfer from the combustion gases to the piston coating, which was seen to result in higher in-cylinder temperature and pressure. Trends in exhaust emissions (decreasing THC, increased NOx) and in-cylinder pressure data (higher Pmax and advanced ϴPmax) also supported the conclusion of reduced heat transfer as a result of polishing. While the use of the metal TBC was seen to provide some benefits in engine performance as a result of its low thermal conductivity, it was seen that its effectiveness was very dependent on surface finish and coating thickness.”

Basically, what they discovered was that thermal barrier coatings work (if you lay it on thick enough), but polished surfaces work better.

I agree, polishing metal is a big pain in the ass and I wouldn't do it on a daily basis unless I was being paid some serious fat cash. But for my own machine, I have no problem wasting countless hours on this crazy Mad Scientist crap. Especially if it actually works!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Dauz wrote:

They're comp Es. High boost setup.
sweet!! if your tsaking the time and $$ to make a head it should look like this... especialy a stock replacement&street head!!!.I hope the ex ports are small.!! with high floor!!
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

I got a question about chambers, is it best to go out to the bore? I need to get some cc’s and looking at these pictures looks like most are at or close to the bore. Thank you for any info.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Yes, but don’t get carried away. Blowing out the side walls kills pressure recovery into the chamber.

If you need to gain a couple cc’s, remove it from the plug side of the chamber. Don’t remove anything from the non-plug side. With unshrouding, a little non-plug side work, and a valve job, you are only gonna gain about 3-4cc.

I find it much easier to dish the pistons with a round dish the diameter of the smaller part of the chamber. This will keep good size squish pads.

Brian
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Just because i know no one else will say this because most everyone believes you have to have squish. I had a set of empi heads that were 45cc chambers and i hogged the whole thing out and got over 10 more cc’s. I “domed” them like the LS guys do for boosted applications ( which is what i was doing ) just mine are more tapered on the plug side and it goes almost to the cylinder wall.
Been running it 5 years or so now and even in 100 degree Missouri weather…
Not saying squish guys are wrong, this is just my experience with not following the “rules”.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

bfg has forced squish. I try to stay about 1 mm from the cylinder when unshrouding valves and make sure it has a raidi( not sharp) as for thermal barrier stuff...I love it. chambers, ex ports,valves, piston tops, headers. hell my house has it in the attic as welll as the paint on the west side brick wall that gets a shit load of sun hear in florida. it works. Ive pulled appart super charged engines with it that the pistin tops were fine but the rings were gone due to bad leen out witch would of melted a uncoated piston& burt the head.(chmbers and pistons were coated.)
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Yes, but don’t get carried away. Blowing out the side walls kills pressure recovery into the chamber.

If you need to gain a couple cc’s, remove it from the plug side of the chamber. Don’t remove anything from the non-plug side. With unshrouding, a little non-plug side work, and a valve job, you are only gonna gain about 3-4cc.

I find it much easier to dish the pistons with a round dish the diameter of the smaller part of the chamber. This will keep good size squish pads.

Brian

Thanks for this info! Makes sense, the most important thing about quench is the flats of the piston and chamber coming within .040 or so for a good mixing of the mixture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: