Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unbelievable! ...a 16mm nut and bolt!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Unbelievable! ...a 16mm nut and bolt! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Don't tell anyone - but my 2004 Nissan Frontier (purchased in 2011) had no alternator pivot bolt at all (explained why previous owner had issues with shops about belt sizes) - found that out a year after getting it. I could only find 10mm thread bolts up to 120mm long locally, and I needed a 130mm long bolt.

So I went to Ace Hardware and purchased a 3/8" thread bolt 5" or 5.5" long and matching nut, and I use that instead. So one can see how this happens....

Laughing yes.....and I will probably be borrowing and using a fair selection of WC bolts for various places on the undercarriage of my 412 as it gets closer to rolling again.

Why?.....because aside from the 16mm or 18mm heads, they come in a HUGE range of lengths, come in the most popular/needed 10mm and 12mm threads, are very high grade.....and are available for a reasonable price down the street at the VW dealer. Plus....and this is where ai got started with it.....they have excellent eccentric bolts in the right thread with nearly perfect length....in stock....for a good price. Ray

Except for that part where VW considers most of those bolts to be TTY & therefore single use only.

Many of them are not actually "torqued to yield". If you look at what the bolts are actually capable of they are mostly just torqued very tight. The yield point of many of the 10mm and 12mm bolts is roughly 30 ft lbs higher.

But, I don't reuse them anyway. I have bag's of new Vw bolts from various install kits. Also, after some interesting discussions with my local dealer network.....they have purposely lowered their prices on a lot of parts.

Bolts I have even getting at the dealer are actually cheaper lately than ECS and FCP Euro.
The eccentric bolts are a bargain. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: