Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans choice
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Trans choice Reply with quote

I have a fiberglass buggy with a 1914 with an engle 110. For the first 12 years it had a swingaxle, prostreet style trans with 4.37. I limited the droop, and never had
any issues. Duned all over Glamis, and plenty of street driving. At a certain point, we stopped duning, and started doing mostly trails in and around Big Bear. I didnt like having to slip the clutch all the time, to get around the steep trails at high altitude. I ran into a 5 rib trans at a decent price, and converted to IRS, along with a 10 degree mount, type 2 cv, axles, etc. Turns out the trans needs rebuilding, the IRS conversion needs to be re-done (cant get the alignment right), and not sure if its just because the trans is in need of a rebuild, but its not as sporty or fun to shift. I am considering removing the 10 degree mount, and selling that and the 5 rib, axles, etc. and going back to a type 1 trans.
Here are the choice Im looking at:
A. Go back to a IRS type 1 trans built more for offroad than the Prostrret I had. Is there a lower ratio than 4.37, lower gears all around? Still want it to be freeway able
B. Rebuild the 5 rib, fix the IRS conversion, and learn to like the way that shifts, feels. Would a stock rebuild be tuff enough?
C. I also have a complete RGB set up, very clean, was running fine when it was removed to put a freeway flyer in a bus. Not sure how the driving experience would be with this set up.
Who would you get a trans from in the southern caifornia area? I know there is Wrightgearbox, and Benco.
Sorry if long winded, but right now I have time to think about these things.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

I understand the german made 75 up "zig-zag" case with the triple ring side cover is the strongest Type 1 case, including the Rhino.

I also believe it shares almost all its internals with the 002 bus trans.

You'd need a Super diff and better R&P ratio but You should have a conversation with Ben at BENCO to see what he recommends
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

What size rear tires?

They make an aftermarket 4.86 R&P for a type I.

If it were mine I would rebuild the 5 rib and get the transaxle set up correctly with the nose cone conversion where the shifter is in the tunnel.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

Tires are 9.5 x 30 x 15 BFG All Terrain. With the 10 degree mount, the shifter is in the tunnel.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

ERCO has a 002 adapter gear carrier housing that you use a type 1 nosecone shift housing.
If you are going to have the 5rib rebuilt have it installed and then it will shift just like a Bug transaxle.
And you can get rid of the 10 degree mounting setup and mount it all level if you want.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I done it to both a 002 and 091 transaxles I have in buggies. Vast improvement in the way it shifts.
Gene Berg was the original person who came up with this idea for this product.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

That Erco adapter looks like a good way to go, specially if it makes the shifting more like a type 1 trans. Looks like Weddle sells a version of it, I couldnt find an Erco on line.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

I have done 4 of the Bus to Bug conversions on 091 transaxles. Vastly improves the shifting. You do need a parts donor from a 002 trans for the shift rods and forks. I have used two ERCO housings and two Weddle housings, and both end up with a fine result.

And as Joseph mentioned above, you can eliminate the 10 degree and go straight. I actually use the rear section of the 10 degree mount and stock Type one up front. This way I keep it mounted softly to reduce noise and vibration.

For the NORRA '18 race, I did mount one solidly using the Berg mid mount, and driving across the US, it is noisy.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

ERCO does not sell to the public.
Rancho Transaxles, Weddle Industries, and I think Dave Folts are places you can buy the housing.

https://ranchotransaxles.com/
https://weddleindustries.com/
https://www.davefoltstrans.com/

I am using a ERCO adapter gear carrier and a Dave Folts aluminum bell housing on my 091 transaxle in my buggy.
The Bell housing Dave has is stronger being made out of aluminum instead of stock one being made out of magnesium. It also has mounting pads on the bottom of it to use stock type 1 mounts.
Come in both a 002 version and 091. The 002 you can use a type 1 starter and 091 uses the starter for it. Both use the 20mm cross shaft for the TO Bearing.

With mounting the trans as far forward as I can so it sits in stock location like a type 1 trans, I cannot use a backup light switch in the nosecone, it to close to th torsion housing I am using a ajustable shift rod coupler since nosecone is further inside of tunnel.

Motion Tire Motorsports
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

Awesome information, thank you. I called Benco, and no one answered. I thinks its a difficult time right now. I am currently spending most of my time on my class 11 style bug, but if I can get started on the trans, I will, so its ready when I have time for the buggy. My buggy is going on 15 years since built, probably time for a total refresh.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

Call Dave folts 909-923-5970 8am to 5pm He talks to Eric (ERCO) a couple times a week. Dave should have them in stock.
mhisel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

Call John Burns @ Transaxle Engineering 818-998-2739. He is there Mon-Fri. Great guy, he'll get you going in the right direction.
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

Bringing this to the top, because I'm in this situation now.

I just purchased "stalled project" Berrien chassis and it has nice powder coating on it so I don't want to cut , grind and weld to make my 002 bus trans fit on my sedan torsion. I saw the gear housing adapter on the Rancho website. Is this something I can do at home without transmission experience or tools. My trans is a new Pro build, only been used for starting my engine on the bench. (I'm not a rookie mechanic FWIW)

Last edited by vanderjw on Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

Im the Op on this post. I eventually decided to go back to a type 1 IRS trans. I had Benco build me a prostreet style on a single side cover case. Its geared as a 4.37. I realized that Im not doing the tough steep trails, or duning anymore, so this fits my needs perfectly. If I do end up going to Glamis, or steep trails at altitude, this will work.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

Vanderjw, to replace the gear carrier on a 002 transaxle and other VW transaxles requires complete tear down of transaxles and there are internal modifications to main case that has to be done too.
It is not something that can be done without several specials tool’s including the need jig to set up shift forks.
Motion Tire Motorsports
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choice Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Vanderjw, to replace the gear carrier on a 002 transaxle and other VW transaxles requires complete tear down of transaxles and there are internal modifications to main case that has to be done too.
It is not something that can be done without several specials tool’s including the need jig to set up shift forks.

Thanks, Thats what I needed to know. Looks like it will be going back to the builder. Wish I would have done this in the first place if I had known.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: