Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug Me body videos
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Bug Me body videos Reply with quote

I bought the #6 and #7 repair videos since I need to replace the heater channels in my 70 beetle. I have a fair amount of fabrication and body skills although I am not an expert so I wanted to get the videos so I got it right. I need to know if I am the only one that was disappointed in these videos? The one on the rear battery section repair was nuts! Take it down to bare metal, stitch it weld it, bare minimum at that and then nothing more than seam seal it!!!! All of that overlapping bare metal is going to rust, very quickly. And the welding leave a lot to be desired. In the other video on the heater channel replacement I had to stop watching halfway through, the welding was killing me!!! Not enough heat and poor prep. The one thing I gained from the video was seeing exactly what needed to be cut to get the channel in and out but other than that I think they were not very good. Anyone else of the same opinion or am I just being too critical?
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Me body videos Reply with quote

It has been pointed out to me that it was improper to say that the people selling these videos are ripping people off. This was NEVER my intention!!!! The videos do have a use and to me they serve their purpose of showing the steps in how to get the job done. I was just taken back by the quality of the welding and the patch panel repair. That was why I asked if I was being too critical. Again, I am NOT saying that people are being ripped off!! I only bought the two videos so I have not seen the rest of them. And the only part I am judging is the welding.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Me body videos Reply with quote

I have all the videos and think they are good for the novice builder. I think they did a good service to the VW community in showing them some of the things needed when nothing much existed before.

You have to remember these were not professional filmmakers and indeed one of the young sons did most of the producing and editing all before You Tube became the norm. Maybe it started as a high school project in media studies?

I agree the welding was poor. But yet so was mine when I started welding. But it gave an idea of how to start. Skill comes with practice.

Finally I give them credit that they put their names on it . Corny as hell but they didn’t hide behind a nom de plume like many on You Tube whose content is iffy at best.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Me body videos Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
I bought the #6 and #7 repair videos since I need to replace the heater channels in my 70 beetle. [...] Anyone else of the same opinion or am I just being too critical?

Rick Higgins lives in Cape Coral, Florida - a good 15 minute ride from my house. I just exchanged a few emails with him on my 1968 VW Beetle project. He writes I have gotten old and my sons have moved on to other interests.

I had a few videos right after they launched them - and dragged them into my garage when TV/DVD combos were the dream. Now I catch a few of his segments on my Mac when I need to hear that I can do it too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: