Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Emergency brake assembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

This tutorial is for assembling the early emergency brake components. This is for the cars that have the cables that adjust up at the front beam rather than at the e-brake itself. This includes all splits (although mechanical cable brake cars have slightly different components) and ovals through 1955.

The components are,

The E-brake handle
The push rod with fine adjustment pin
The return spring
The spring bracket
The cable tensioner
The lock plate
The spring plate
The cotter pin
Adjusting nuts
Adjusting cover

You can see many of the parts here. Missing is the E-brake handle, the push rod, cover, and of course the cables.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the e-brake handle and the end of the rod it engages further into the middle of the tunnel.

Here is the fine adjustment for a mechanical cable e-brake assembly, but the rod (1) and the adjustment that screws out (2) are the same. Unscrew this fine adjustment pin (2), clean up the threads and reinstall with some light grease. You should be able to turn this in or out with your fingers. Wind it all the way in to start.

The first order of business is to run the e-brake cables up to the front of the car from each wheel. The threaded end will poke out of the conduit up towards the front. These cables do have a grease zerk so be sure to give them a pump or two of grease. When you install these cables, note that there is a bit of a left and right in the sense that you want the grease zerk found right near where the cables enter the chassis in the rear, to point down. It will make sense once you go to install them.

Next is the push rod and e-brake handle. This can be super frustrating to get aligned and in, as the end of the e-brake must ride in the very skinny groove of the long brake push rod.

I found the easiest way to do this was to have the e-brake handle installed and the pivot pin in place. Raise the brake handle 1/3 to/1/2 way up as if the e-brakes were applied. Put a bit of universal grease in the opening of the push rod and in the groove.

Position the rod outside the car with the groove in the rear end facing up. Mark the front end of the brake push rod so it has a line you can see to know when the push rod is rotated with the groove exactly up. This will allow you to know which way is up when the end of the rod is 7 foot away in the dark tunnel.

It does help to shine a light down through the e-brake handle area into the tunnel, just to give you an idea of where you are aiming when you look in from the front of the tunnel. The goal is to slide the end of the brake push rod over the end of the e-brake. Slide the push rod into the tunnel from the front and guide it back towards the light. Check your alignment mark to make sure the groove in the back is facing up so it can slip over the e-brake handle.

You may have to make numerous attempts to get the push rod aligned with the e-brake handle, but when you do, it will be obvious as there will be a hard stop being able to push the brake push rod further back.

Next, slip the return spring over the end of the push rod and push it over the lip of the tunnel and hook the bottom edge. There should be a fair amount of tension on the spring so watch your eyes!

Next is the spring retaining plate. This bolts on with two M6 x 15mm bolts with spring washers. It can only orient one way.

At this point you can disengage and lower the e-brake in the car all the way. The return spring should ensure the rod stays engaged with the e-brake handle.

The next piece that goes on is the small cast iron cable tensioner. I found i needed to gently pull each brake cable forward to have enough pulled out to get a nut on. Use caution to not get on the threads of the cable. Pull on just the tip where the screwdriver slot is.

Grease the center hole of the tensioner and slip it onto the push rod adjustment pin. I had to tip it to be able to get the first nut on one side. Tighten the first nut just a couple of threads. This serves to hold the tensioner in place and pull the rod back a bit.

Feed the other cable through the hole and get a nut on that. Again, if you need to pull the cable forward, do so with a pliers and stay off the threads. When you get it pulled forward, hold it with one hand and get the nut started with the other.

Wind the nuts down evenly on each side until slack is out of the brake cable. With new cables, this should be maybe 1/2" of threads showing out the nut. This is the actual coarse adjustment of the cables. Engage the brake in the car a couple of times to get this adjustment right and get everything seated. The e-brake should fully engage in 3-5 clicks.

Once the coarse adjustment is completed the locking plate gets added with a second set of nuts.

Next is the small spring keeper and cotter pin. Install the spring keeper with the bow towards the back of course.

Check the operation one last time of the e-brake. Make sure it is adjusted and everything is lubed up.

Finally the cover gets installed with two M6x40 (?) bolts and washers. There is no rubber seal, although one could be fashioned out of a chunk of rubber inner tube if the cover is not straight.

Done!

Edit: Corrected what years this applies to

Last edited by nlorntson on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

AWESOME, thank you for taking the time to post this Nancy!

can you, or a moderator also post this in the split forum since it applies? I generally search within sub forums only when looking for specific information.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Yes, thanks!
It's the FAQ for both sections.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Excellent. Just to confirm this is only for ovals to August '55 though, not all ovals.

If you did want to fit a rubber seal to the cover, the best option is the '56 onward seal with the centre cut out to suit, but if your cover is straight, as already stated, there's really no need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogeliocv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

This is awesome!, I got a 55 and restoring it, however it came without the rod and the plates, any idea where can I find all this?

Thanks
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

"nlorntson" wrote

""Here is the fine adjustment for a mechanical cable e-brake assembly, but the rod (1) and the adjustment that screws out (2) are the same. Unscrew this fine adjustment pin (2), clean up the threads and reinstall with some light grease. You should be able to turn this in or out with your fingers. Wind it all the way in to start.""

Am I right that the 1 mm clearance (thick black arrow) only applies to mechanical cable brakes?
I have an early oval with the same parts but hydraulic brakes.
I suppose the fine adjustment pin (2) must be screwed in completely and no need of 1mm clearance.
Or just enough out to mount the small spring keeper with cotter pin.

Is it exactly what I think?

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Is there anyone who can confirm what I have written?
Cannot find it in the VW repair manual that I have.

Thanks and regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Isbrand52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Having read this excellent post a question What is the purpose of the fine adjustment. Seems to me you would make a coarse adjustment on the cables and then unthread fine adjustment to make final adjustment Great post Nancy
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Isbrand52 wrote:
Having read this excellent post a question What is the purpose of the fine adjustment. Seems to me you would make a coarse adjustment on the cables and then unthread fine adjustment to make final adjustment Great post Nancy

Yep! I was wondering the same thing.

I image that you set up the coarse adjustment as Nancy so nicely described . You'd have the rear wheels up in the air, you'd make individual left and right side cable adjustments and pull up on the e-brake handle click by click and go back and hand turn each rear wheel to see if the drag effect is roughly the same at each click, and make small adjustments to correct drag side to side.. Then at some point there could be a tiny adjustment made with that "fine adjustment device? Hmmmmm...

Another very nice tutorial with great photos by Nancy! Thanks!

Bill Bowman
www.bnnta.com
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Updating this because it is not fully correct. The locking nuts do not need to be added. The function of the second plate is to stop the adjusting nuts from backing off. Likely why there are two new nuts in the above pictures.

Here is a picture of my early 55 when disassembling. There are no indications that there was a locking nut previously installed.

Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
Updating this because it is not fully correct. The locking nuts do not need to be added. The function of the second plate is to stop the adjusting nuts from backing off.

The German factory VW repair manual 52-57 shows lock nuts on page 36.
"gegenmuttern" = lock nuts
"nachstellmuttern" = adjusting nuts

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/content/d...itel_B.pdf

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
lardawge wrote:
Updating this because it is not fully correct. The locking nuts do not need to be added. The function of the second plate is to stop the adjusting nuts from backing off.

The German factory VW repair manual 52-57 shows lock nuts on page 36.
"gegenmuttern" = lock nuts
"nachstellmuttern" = adjusting nuts

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/content/d...itel_B.pdf

Regards.

That particular picture doesn’t have a locking plate. Not sure when that changed but the one being described in this thread has a locking plate.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

Yes, a bit confusing.
Don't know when that changed.
My early Oval has exact the same assembly as "nlorntson" describes.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
Updating this because it is not fully correct. The locking nuts do not need to be added. The function of the second plate is to stop the adjusting nuts from backing off. Likely why there are two new nuts in the above pictures.

Here is a picture of my early 55 when disassembling. There are no indications that there was a locking nut previously installed.

My late 54 is exactly the same, no lock nuts. I took the e-brake assembly off my pan today so this thread was a great help. Thanks!
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Emergency brake assembly Reply with quote

great post! i just confirmed that my April '55 only has the adjusting nuts. does anyone know their size/thread pitch? i'm thinking of installing the locking nuts as well... thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: