Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

1977 Heinz recipe box XL size. Pulls hot air from under the cylinders, not a high flow setup but... if it keeps the intake temps warm its a win. Will test it out this week fingers crossed if its a fail I'm out 5 bucks and a few hours of time, put it up with the other odd R&D parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

Cool idea..no pun intended! A simple solution that looks like it'll work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

At first i saw the shrubs with snow on them ,, then I realized it's a fake Xmas tree Laughing ,, it don't get that cold in CA Razz Laughing Nice Box Cool ,wait till the Canuck see's that Laughing Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

I see and I like!!

Also take note that we finally have someone who knows what side of the air cleaner the crankcase vent goes on!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

That is pretty awesome. Sometimes it is a lot of fun to do something for show. Cool that it is practical as well. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

Barstow gets down to 16F with snow and wind Seen it multiple times my propane tanks froze solid. This is the first year i've seen very high humidity and 30degs, I never had a soaking wet air filter until the other week.

I like the coffee can around the carb Oprn built wonder if I could use the smog port from the fan shroud warm the air thru the 3/4 steel tube welded on my exhaust and heat the outside of the carb as well. Think

Last edited by DesertSasquatchXploration on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
At first i saw the shrubs with snow on them ,, then I realized it's a fake Xmas tree Laughing ,, it don't get that cold in CA Razz Laughing Nice Box Cool ,wait till the Canuck see's that Laughing Cheers,Mike

What are you talking about?

I live about an hour's 1/2 offroad drive across the desert from where DesertSasquatchXploration lives in Barstow. You see my neighborhood all the time in TV shows, ads, movies, music videos, etc. This below is my Baja in my driveway.

Doesn't happen all the time. But we get snow most every winter. We've even gotten 5" of snow on May 5th. I've been at Barstow when 4" fell during a California 400 offroad race. Just a few minutes drive to the south of me is a 10,000' mountain range and I can see Mountain High Ski Resort where I'm sitting right now in my house. Just a couple hours north is the highest mountain in the 48 contiguous states of America. Mount Whitney at over 14,000'. And yet many of my neighbors do like I used to before I retired and commute to LA to work.

Don't think that California is all palm trees and beaches and smoggy LA.
There's a tri-athlete race that starts swimming in the Pacific Ocean then followed by a bike ride up to Big Bear at 7,000' in the mountains and ends with a run there. I can see Big Bear from my house too and that 12,000' range of mountains isn't even the same 10K' range I referred to before.

We have a wide range of geography here. And too damn many people over-running it!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

I think preheating the fuel is a good idea. I tried it once many years ago but got it too warm and cause a vaporizer lock. The trick is to get it warm but not hot. I might have another go at it again sometime.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see what's at the bottom end of that flex intake.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

Don't mind my smashed pushrod tube Sad Position can be adjusted up or down a inch or two. It works, after driving for 15 mins the box was warm. Harvested a latch from a fancy gift box it might unlatch off road we will see. I'm going to take it out this weekend to the black mountain area check out scouts cove and the desert goldfish.

Last edited by DesertSasquatchXploration on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying or making the tins that curve under the motor. It would be the right thing to do and then I would have lots of hot air at any speed and RPM.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

Hmmm...Very interesting
SoCalBajas Member
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

or... just take that bottom piece a little further and t into a tube that's about 1/2" bigger circumference than your exhaust pipe. Put that tube around the exhaust so it's pulling air past the exhaust all the time.

I did this with a crappy progressive carb I had on my first VW motor. I did some pretty extreme things to get hot air and that carb just kept icing up. I wasn't even driving it in the winter. We get REAL winters here in Michigan. Laughing
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
or... just take that bottom piece a little further and t into a tube that's about 1/2" bigger circumference than your exhaust pipe. Put that tube around the exhaust so it's pulling air past the exhaust all the time.

I did this with a crappy progressive carb I had on my first VW motor. I did some pretty extreme things to get hot air and that carb just kept icing up. I wasn't even driving it in the winter. We get REAL winters here in Michigan. Laughing

What a way to contradict yourself Applause That's why the heater boxes are finned and not just regular pipe inside. The T section would have to be 40+inches. A one second pass near the exhaust isn't enough. (You already tried that) My setup works great just did 7 hours in the car last weekend ran flawless. When the water puddles are frozen over that's plenty cold.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

I wasn't critizing your setup. Sorry you took it that way.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

I'm not offended. If you tried something that didn't work why would you mention it as a solution?

Perhaps buzzed? That would explain it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Sale Item Into Hot Air Intake Reply with quote

Center mounted carbs need both the heat from above the carb and the heat on the intake manifold. Inlet to the carb heat prevents carb icing and manifold heat stops the gas pooling in the horizontal section. Two separate problems with two separate solutions. The colder it gets the more severe the symptoms are.

I haven't tried warming the gas yet but I think that would help too but would be tricky to get it warm enough without vapor locking the carb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: