Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159, 160  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

a bit different over here. May vary a lot between European countries as well. In Austria the equivalent to the US 'title' is rather a booklet sized paperwork, that also contains a drawing/photo, tech data, and older examples (before digital files) registered all former owners. That is really cool, because it contains the history of a vehicle. But our license plates do not stay with car ( have to be turned in when not registered) and insurance is mandatory. so even if you have the car and title in hand, it is not yet street legal, basically like non op. Once you pay insurance and tax, we get license plates and a separate folded registration card, which you have to carry in car when driving.

That means, if said oval wasn't currently registerd ( no plates on car) , seller does not have a printed or digital registration card, therefore has to look up data in the original handwritten paperwork ( which actually is called Typenschein or Einzelgenehmigung in A).

Seller finally realized his mistake and corrected YOM. Not his asking price though... Very Happy

a smith wrote:

Do they not title cars in Europe like they do in the states?

'52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
'54 Sunroof Oval project, Lichtbeige L275
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, Taubenblau L31 all og paint
'62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
'67 1500 Käfer, Lotus weiß L282 all og paint w/red interior
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
a bit different over here. May vary a lot between European countries as well. In Austria the equivalent to the US 'title' is rather a booklet sized paperwork, that also contains a drawing/photo, tech data, and older examples (before digital files) registered all former owners. That is really cool, because it contains the history of a vehicle. But our license plates do not stay with car ( have to be turned in when not registered) and insurance is mandatory. so even if you have the car and title in hand, it is not yet street legal, basically like non op. Once you pay insurance and tax, we get license plates and a separate folded registration card, which you have to carry in car when driving.

That means, if said oval wasn't currently registerd ( no plates on car) , seller does not have a printed or digital registration card, therefore has to look up data in the original handwritten paperwork ( which actually is called Typenschein or Einzelgenehmigung in A).

Seller finally realized his mistake and corrected YOM. Not his asking price though... Very Happy

a smith wrote:

Do they not title cars in Europe like they do in the states?

Thank you for the info 👍
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

$600 for this split case trans
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2597178

LOL, maybe $60

Serial number is 12/1956 for those wondering
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
$600 for this split case trans
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2597178

LOL, maybe $60

Serial number is 12/1956 for those wondering

What's the process in someone's head when they decide the best path is to torch the axles off???
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Numbers-matching: Documented as original to car

Numbers-correct: engine produced within 1-2 weeks of the car's build date, using resources such as Progressive Refinements and the Barndoor Registry as references.

For example, the 1957 I sold was produced in mid-September 1956, so the original engine would have been around 1550000. I found a case at a swap meet that started with 155, so there is a strong likelihood it came from a car transported from Germany on the same ship.

I don't think it even needs to be this complicated. I mean, the bottom line is it is either the engine the car was sold with or it's not. And if you can't prove it then it's not original.
Beyond that it's up to a buyer to decide how much the price of the car depends on it having it's *correct original* engine.
Does it matter? Again, completely value and preference based decision for whoever would owns or will potentially own the car.

IMHO the *original* factor is just a number stamped on the engine, and anything very close is just as good. Bonus if you can prove it came with the car, but changes nothing about the actual car. The intricate or more noticeable details of making it a proper engine for the car, or at least set up close to as it was intended for the era is more important.
I mean, what about wheel date stamps? Or #'s stamped on the trans and front suspension? They should be just as important if you're going to be picky about the engine number.
And I totally understand while some people are very anal about this in some situations. But these days when any random shop can try and restore and sell a 50's beetle with the steering wheel upside down, it's hard to expect very often at all.
And, FWIW I know there are sets of those dies floating around and have been used to stamp numbers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2599669

"patina" .... ??? 😳😳
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

What are those 2 little black thing with handles(?) in this ad photo?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Whammy bars for an electric guitar? Razz
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

They are door check rods for split beetle
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
59 renault dauphine (work in progress)
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Thanks!
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

no photo? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2616967
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
no photo? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2616967

Photos added...I wonder if it came with blocked heat riser tube from the factory. Rolling Eyes
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

so the seller is asking what I is on the high end of an unknown 36 horse, but won't let you have a look inside at $550? Good luck with that sale... as both could easily be lawn art! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2613809
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
so the seller is asking what I is on the high end of an unknown 36 horse, but won't let you have a look inside at $550? Good luck with that sale... as both could easily be lawn art! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2613809

I think that is normal. Not sure who would agree to a teardown. Usually, you would specify if they turned or not at the very least.
However, he seems like someone who I would never want to deal with based on his attitude in the ad. Not sure why people feel the need to project all of their lifes pain and frustration in an ad where you are marketing to people to buy a part.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
bwaz wrote:

I think that is normal. Not sure who would agree to a teardown. Usually, you would specify if they turned or not at the very least.

Agree. I've sold a few 36hp engines. I really only specified if they rotated or not and noted any issues like visible case damage.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
lardawge wrote:
bwaz wrote:

Agree. I've sold a few 36hp engines. I really only specified if they rotated or not and noted any issues like visible case damage.

You know, every engine I've ever sold, I invited the buyers to pull the valve covers, turn it over, pull the plugs... do whatever to make sure it's what they want, within reason. It's no big deal and doesn't cost me anything but some time
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

esde wrote:
EverettB wrote:
lardawge wrote:
bwaz wrote:

You know, every engine I've ever sold, I invited the buyers to pull the valve covers, turn it over, pull the plugs... do whatever to make sure it's what they want, within reason. It's no big deal and doesn't cost me anything but some time

Now that you say it, I always posted photos of the heads with the valve covers off too.

If it was in person, go to town minus doing some actual serious disassembly.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

not sure why this photo is there...unless he'll use it on any buyer who messes him about Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

$32k? Uhhhh, no.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2618296

How 'bout that hood gap? Can fit a set of golf clubs through that.

3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Mr. Pricey is plumb clean out of his mind!😅
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Wagenmasters
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159, 160  Next
Jump to:
Page 158 of 160

Jump to: