Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Hatfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I bought and installed the Lares coupler from Rockauto. Photo comparison shown of what is probably the original one on my '77 and the new coupler. As stated before, it is not so soft as to fold like a taco. Pretty stiff and you can't fold it over. Fitment was also good. I took advantage of the time working on it to clean up the ground wire- the one in the photo is not from Rockauto.
Just giving feedback to the group- this coupler seems fine to use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Lares for the win!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

sounds good to me.
rs-vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Is that a Lares 209? The Lares is a rag joint, laminated fiber and rubber.
See babysnakes’ post on the previous page
Paul Hatfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I agree with you that the RockAuto website shows a rag type coupler. I ordered part number IAP 211415417 and it shows a photo of the rag type.
However,,,,, what I received shows no sign of being the construction shown in the photo on the website.
It arrived as shown in my picture above, and again, it is stiff and fit well when I installed it. The hole pattern matches the original, center hole matches, and the only difference is the outside diameter of the square is slightly larger than the original.
Heck, it was only $7.88, so the price was worth getting it so I could see it and decide if it felt like it would last.
Hope this helps.
Paul
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Paul Hatfield wrote:
I agree with you that the RockAuto website shows a rag type coupler. I ordered part number IAP 211415417 and it shows a photo of the rag type.
However,,,,, what I received shows no sign of being the construction shown in the photo on the website.
It arrived as shown in my picture above, and again, it is stiff and fit well when I installed it. The hole pattern matches the original, center hole matches, and the only difference is the outside diameter of the square is slightly larger than the original.
Heck, it was only $7.88, so the price was worth getting it so I could see it and decide if it felt like it would last.
Hope this helps.
Paul

For $7.88,, buy a second and cut it open to see if it has reinforcing fibers.
rs-vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just received a Lares 209 rag joint coupler from Rock Auto so it’s back in stock.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just posted an add for the NOS German steering coupler.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2596472

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Bill, I will buy the coupler! Just sent you an email. Bob
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Well, that coupler sold within 10 minutes of listing it w/lots of emails. What a shame no one is reproducing those couplers to the same quality as the OEM version.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

That was an elephant one. VW used several different brands. Some years back that is the only one people would use. Then I think SGF or something like that came along when the elephant brand was no longer available. Someone should be really happy with that.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
That was an elephant one.

The company name is Metzler...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metzeler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

am i hearing this right? we like the Lares 209 better than the SGF?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
am i hearing this right? we like the Lares 209 better than the SGF?

As neither seem to be very available today, then whichever one you can find is the best.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

well, both seem to be available. i guess i'll grab both and compare
bought multiple on my last 2 bus builds...quality seems to vary GREATLY on this piece

SGF, German
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-steering-shaft-flex-coupling-disc-corteco-251419417b
p.s. our car club gave us a discount code for this site that you guys might find useful: 2022AVANTSCLUB

Lares 209
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/lares,209,steering+coupler,7418
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
SGF, German
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-steering-shaft-flex-coupling-disc-corteco-251419417b

I don't think that's a bus coupler. It's for Type 1 cars and Vanagons, which use a similar, but smaller, part.

And that ad shows a SGF part, but the ad text describes it as "Corteco" brand.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

thanks man. i totally mixed that one up. the corteco is normally a SGF.
but the corteco of that PN is NLA from FCP

looks like the Lares 209 it shall be ;-)
Bullshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I'm just taking a lunch break after removing my original coupler, about to go back to install the new one which will be the Lares 209 from RockAuto.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is brief video that shows a close up of the fibers in my 'original' Hartig coupler, a bend test between Lares 209 (sourced from RockAuto) and the CIP1 coupler, as well as a video of the Hartig coupler in action before I removed it.

Link

------

Just finished up the re-install. Here is a video of the Lares 209 coupler in action, freshly installed. My wheels are on a very smooth cement with a fine layer of dirt/dust. I'll do my best to mount my GoPro under there and go for a drive soon, it's about to get cold here again though so it may be a week or longer before I get around to it.

Link
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

So is the OEM one from Cip1 considered dangerous? I just got one because I'm limited on options and mine needs replacing - is it that bad?

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
Bullshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

P24p1 wrote:
So is the OEM one from Cip1 considered dangerous? I just got one because I'm limited on options and mine needs replacing - is it that bad?

I never bothered to try installing it after getting the Lares 209 coupler in the mail. I'm not able to tell you whether or not the CIP1 part is "that" bad, but I am absolutely not willing to risk it so long as the Lares 209 is in stock at Rock Auto. Here is a link directly to the part:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=115416...Qav0FLA%3D

I've had the Lares 209 installed for exactly two months now, and put at least 700 miles on it now on city and mountain highway drives and it's shown no sign of wear and my steering feels the same as it did when I installed it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: