Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Type 34 Ghia Project "The Rust Queen"
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: 1963 Type 34 Ghia Project "The Rust Queen" Reply with quote

If you saw my other post here in the Type 3 forum, I found a Type 34 Ghia nearby and went crazy and bought it. You only live once!

Here it is sitting in my garage. The original color was Pearl White with a black roof:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It obviously doesn't run and needs a full restoration but it is 95% complete and has the original motor and pan. Here's the motor:

There's a problem in the engine bay, the floor rotted so there's no place for the spring to attach. And there's accident damage in the back:

It came with this Squareback 1600 motor. I'm told it ran! Going to sell it:

The car was from North Dakota so naturally it came with a gas heater:

The dash and door caps could use some help:

There are a couple of extra knobs and horn buttons going on with the dash. The push buttons were "upgraded" to the later style but all the gauges are original.

Lots of deep pitted rust on the body but I'm confident the guy painting and welding my Type 14 Ghia can handle it. If it can't be blasted it will be cut out and replaced. That's what the English wheel is for.

I can weld the pan and restore the mechanical stuff myself, just need to finish my other Ghia first. That will be painted in a month or two and I'm going to reassemble this spring. So the Rust Queen is going into storage nearby. Can't get any rustier so whatever!

I've already scored an NOS muffler and a really nice interior kit; door panels and seat covers from user named Endangered Splits. They are the original red style for my color and year. I will post a picture after I unbox.

Some parts I'm looking for are:
Headlight buckets (hard to find?)
Dash pads/door caps (buy or restore what I have?)
Lower door trim aluminum strip
Rear bumper guards
Rear center bumper
license plate lights
push buttons
hubcaps
radio bezel

I'd love to hear some advice or constructive thoughts on how to proceed next. I've owned 5 Type 14 Ghias, some of which were basket cases like this one, so I'm not looking for financial advice. Just the best approach on how to tackle this project and where I night find parts. I know Walter at the Bug Box is making some nice panels.

Last edited by Peter D. on Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia Project "The Rust Queen" Reply with quote

You don't need them, You are running European Headlights

You can recover them, they sell pebble grain material

You don't need, but they are out there.

Rear bumper guards
Easy to find

Rear center bumper
Easy to find

license plate lights
Same as Porsche 356

push buttons
Two options, find a push button assembly $$ or find the retrofit kit, plastic cover with later style headlight and wiper switch, similar to what you have now, but more period correct

hubcaps
They are out there, worse case scenario, run '66-'67 hubcaps, very similar except they won't hold beauty rings

radio bezel
Little tough, but they are out there.

How are your pans? They sell Gerson half pans. Most rubber is available from VW ISPwest.

Most OG Chrome will clean up, without rechroming, unless you are going full bling.

Rebuild your engine, as it is difficult but not impossible to fit dual carbs.

I'd love to hear some advice or constructive thoughts on how to proceed next. I've owned 5 Type 14 Ghias, some of which were basket cases like this one, so I'm not looking for financial advice. Just the best approach on how to tackle this project and where I night find parts. I know Walter at the Bug Box is making some nice panels.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia Project "The Rust Queen" Reply with quote

Ok Got my attention
I suggest have a year on this thread
I’m guessing is a 63 with these pictures

Amazing Original Engine ALL Correct Parts

You did the right choice of buying the Red Cloth seats upholstery
And Was Made by ME
And that Red Cloth is Not Available anymore
So Lucky You
and is Perfect for your Pearl White Body

Karmann Ghia and Restoration sells
T34 buckets headlights and they are Well Done and Perfect
I had use them many times

Congratulations Worth every penny
When you do it Right Smile
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia Project "The Rust Queen" Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
You don't need them, You are running European Headlights

You can recover them, they sell pebble grain material

You don't need, but they are out there.

Rear bumper guards
Easy to find

Rear center bumper
Easy to find

license plate lights
Same as Porsche 356

push buttons
Two options, find a push button assembly $$ or find the retrofit kit, plastic cover with later style headlight and wiper switch, similar to what you have now, but more period correct

hubcaps
They are out there, worse case scenario, run '66-'67 hubcaps, very similar except they won't hold beauty rings

radio bezel
Little tough, but they are out there.

How are your pans? They sell Gerson half pans. Most rubber is available from VW ISPwest.

Most OG Chrome will clean up, without rechroming, unless you are going full bling.

Rebuild your engine, as it is difficult but not impossible to fit dual carbs.

Thanks for the helpful tips! The floors are rotted in back and somewhat soft up front so I'm going to do a full pan replacement.

I'm not crazy about beauty rings. I find they just scratch up the wheels. I might two a two tone black and pearl white wheel with narrow whitewalls. So later hubcaps will be fine That will be the only "custom" feature on the car.

I'm hoping the engine will have good compression and I can just paint the tins and rebuild the carb but we'll see!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia Project "The Rust Queen" Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:
Ok Got my attention
I suggest have a year on this thread
I’m guessing is a 63 with these pictures

Amazing Original Engine ALL Correct Parts

You did the right choice of buying the Red Cloth seats upholstery
And Was Made by ME
And that Red Cloth is Not Available anymore
So Lucky You
and is Perfect for your Pearl White Body

Karmann Ghia and Restoration sells
T34 buckets headlights and they are Well Done and Perfect
I had use them many times

Congratulations Worth every penny
When you do it Right Smile

Thank you, Pedro! I was on the Type 34 World Facebook page and Lee told me you made that interior. So I just jumped on it and bought it. After what I paid West Coast Classics for my Type 14 interior, it was a bargain! Luckily my door handles are in nice shape. And hopefully I can recover my dash and door caps as Allwagons suggested.

My rear wood frames are rotted but luckily I know a really talented retired cabinet maker who can rebuild them for me.

My intention is to definitely do it right but it will take me a few years for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: