Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

just got back from Napa where i peered into the middle of their 1521 gold (51521 equiv) and there was no valve inside
what is the premise of it's gold name
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

blatzer wrote:
just got back from Napa where i peered into the middle of their 1521 gold (51521 equiv) and there was no valve inside

The backflow valve just shows up as a rubber like substance visible through the ring of holes making up the supply side of the filter. The bypass "valve" may not be much more than a spring that holds the filter media in place in the canister and not something that is seen unless you cut the filter open.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

thought I would restart this bar room brawl. I have no more cheap filters for initial break-in so I thought I would check numbers. I have two Mobil One M1204a M1-204A but they are not mentioned in one thread here. Several places have them for our buses as superior performing 20,000 mile guarantee filters. I wonder why no one ever mentions them. They used to be like the KN filter with a nut on the end but no longer are.

One thing I don't know if everyone realizes. On an early T4 case it has two pressure valves. One is a pressure / excess oil bypass to the sump. Any excess oil is dumped back into the sump after being cooled. On late cases with one pressure relief valve, the excess oil is sent back to the oil pump where it circulates over and over until it is used. The idea being that the oil going to the lifters, bearings etc., will be more temperature stable. The difference on a late case is that there is no cooling in the oil sump itself by excess cool oil being dumped back into it like on an early case. The sump itself only cools via the temperature of the oil flowing off the bearings, and the fins on the engine sump. For this reason, while I do watch engine oil temperature especially on long climbs, I am more concerned about oil pressure, because it tells me how viscous the oil is that has been thru the cooler.

That said, can anyone confirm the the Mobil One M1-204A is the correct filter for the T4 engine?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

blatzer wrote:

I just got one and it has the anti-siphon diaphragm in it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

That said, can anyone confirm the the Mobil One M1-204A is the correct filter for the T4 engine?
I typically run a M1-204a or a Motorcraft Fl-300.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I typically run a M1-204a or a Motorcraft Fl-300.

Thanks Mike
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

K&N HP2004, Mobile m1-204, Wix 51068, same thing
https://wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=m1-204

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

Updated cross reference

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51068

I see wix is made with paper filter, Mobil m1-204A is synthetic fiber filter. Just noting.
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wix vs Mann Oil Filters for Type4 Reply with quote

I have 2 Camrys. One is a '89 and the other a '97. They are of the same engine design. The filter sticks up like an erection, upside down. The 89 always takes a bit to turn to the OP light off. The 97, it pretty much goes off instantly.

The 89 only has 275K on it....and it dry-starts, BIG-TIME.

The 97 has 290K on it. I just drove it to Sandy Eggo, about a 2,000 mile trip. 30 MPG the whole way and I"m not sure if I added oil to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: