Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical diagrams
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhenry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:41 am    Post subject: Electrical diagrams Reply with quote

Hi, (newbie) we bought a 1981 Mexican VW Beetle. It’s electrical has been tampered with. High and low beams are on at the same time. I’m looking for an electrical diagram. I found a 1960 to 1967 diagram but it’s not quite the same. I’m hoping someone has one or info on how to get one. Why can’t I find anything on Mexican beetles?
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical diagrams Reply with quote

I'm not sure why there are no diagrams specific to the Mexican beetle, but I'm guessing that one of the latter diagrams available in the technical section of this site will get you very close.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

A general understanding of how the beetle headlight circuit works is probably all you need to figure that problem out and reverse it. The prior owner may have done it on purpose to get more light when the high beams are on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical diagrams Reply with quote

when I have to work on Ford truck wiring Sad I look at all the drawings for years before and after the one I'm working on, between all of them I can usually figure it out.

Maybe if you were to look at years before and after (water cooled?) on what you have you might get a better idea of what's going on than looking at a specific year and model
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical diagrams Reply with quote

Your hi/lo switch has failed, test it, if it's good you have a short between the headlight power wires.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: