Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1/4 million mile EJ22
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

Today I reached a milestone some vehicles never attain, and others seem to easily pass. To some here on TS, I'm sure this is no big deal, but this is the highest milage automobile I have ever had, and it shows no signs of ever giving in as of now.

It is a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I've had it for 17 years now. I really haven't treated it as gently as I should have... extended oil changes, impromptu rally driving, got it airborne over a railroad crossing one time. Now in her older years, I treat it with the respect I should have all along, as it has been very good to me. I named it years ago "trusty".

It has given me very little trouble over the years- nothing that has required more than removing the valve cover to replace the seals (valve cover seals, not the dreaded head gasket associated with some year Subaru's). Sure- Brakes, timing belts, clutches, coils packs, etc. but these are just consumable wear items, and I've kept up with regular maintenance as much as I could.

If this engine ever did give out, I'd love to donate it to someone that is willing to take it apart and document the process and findings, as I find that kind of stuff very interesting, to see what the failure was, what did the owner neglect, what was abnormal wear, and such things. I found Jake Raby's "Living in Hell – 160,000 Miles of Service Revealed - A photo documented autopsy" very interesting: https://aircooledtechnology.com/high-mileage-teardown/

Maybe it's second life could be in my own Syncro after a rebuild? Who knows.

To sum this up, I must say that Subaru built an outstanding EJ22 engine that has stood the test of time thus far. Nearly bullet proof... Now if they can just get that head gasket thing under control on other models.

Signing off...
Good Night...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

Very nice!

My 2012 five cylinder/five speed Golf hit 258,000 last week. Yes....lots of peripheral parts replaced....like water pump, alternator, hoses, t-stat, in the 180k miles range and basic wear suspension and brake parts....between 150k and 225k miles.....and clutch at 250k miles....yes...250k miles on original clutch.

But no engine, trans or electronic parts issues.

You took care of it and it was well built!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

275K on a 73 Plymouth with a stock 318, did a timing chain and water pump. Heads never been off. Daily driver. Mopar figured out how to build a head gasket, Subaru never did. Lucky you got as far as you did. Overrated car in my book.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

My wife and I bought a 95 Legacy wagon in 2004. It had just over 100K on the clock. We had owned a couple of Soobs previously, and I had owned several before that, along with my VW's.

We had that 95 for many years, until a distracted dipshit pulling a triple axle boat trailer with a 26' speed boat behind his Ford umpteen fifty rear ended her at a stop light. Car still ran and drove fine, but was totaled. That car had 222K miles, and we had every intention of taking it to 300K. Oh well. I kept the car around for awhile, thinking of making it into a BRAT style truck, but I decided to sell it on to someone as an engine/trans donor.

A couple of years ago, my brother-in-law informed us that he was selling off a 95 Legacy that he got from an elderly family member several years previous. His daughters had driven it through high school and college, and now they had moved on to good jobs and car payments. We bought it with the stack of paperwork from day one. All service records, and trip logs. It had 113K miles on the odo. My daughter drives it daily for work and dance classes.

The EJ22 is a very stout little engine. Non-interference, smooth and quiet. Not as powerful as the later model stuff, but no head gasket issues either. I drove this car on a 3200 mile round trip back in November without a single hiccup. 23-26 MPG with the cruise set at 75. And I can sleep in the back.

I have a new timing belt, water pump, and pulleys sitting on the bench waiting for a few open days in the shop. I have done the job a few times before and it really is pretty simple on these.

I also have an 87 Toyota 2wd long bed xtra cab pickup. Owned it for almost 18 years now. It is ugly as hell, and has worked really hard for me over the years. It has 293K and climbing. I drive it nearly every day in the summer.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

My 2012 Hyundai Tucson was at 220k when I let it go. I just couldn't justify putting in the money it would need (timing belt, clutch, exhaust). I enjoyed that little thing though, especially since it was a rare 5 speed.

My Westy is currently at 465k, but that's at least 4 engines and 2 transmissions

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

My DD Nissan has 208k. I change the oil infrequently. 5-10k per change is normal. The ONLY thing I've done to the engine was an air filter (once), and spark plugs at 200k.

NOTHING else on the engine has been touched. The coolant is still whatever Nissian put in it Laughing Shocked Just topped up once a year or so with a bit of H20.

I'll see if I can push it to the quarter million mark before it blows up.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
My DD Nissan has 208k. I change the oil infrequently. 5-10k per change is normal. The ONLY thing I've done to the engine was an air filter (once), and spark plugs at 200k.

NOTHING else on the engine has been touched. The coolant is still whatever Nissian put in it Laughing Shocked Just topped up once a year or so with a bit of H20.

Two air filters in 200K? Damn dude, let that thing breathe! Filters are cheap and easy. I change them at 15K, or less if I have been driving a lot of dirt roads and stuff.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Two air filters in 200K? Damn dude, let that thing breathe! Filters are cheap and easy. I change them at 15K, or less if I have been driving a lot of dirt roads and stuff.

You can't fix lazy. Well, you can, but that seems like work. I'm tired just thinking about it. I'm going to go take a nap. Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

You can't fix lazy. Well, you can, but that seems like work. I'm tired just thinking about it. I'm going to go take a nap. Laughing

What does it take to get you to adjust the valves on your VW? Laughing
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

I check them once a year. They rarely need any adjustments. I work so much I don't get a lot of time to cruise the bug unfortunately. The last few years I probably logged 10k miles.

Sometimes I will drive the bug to work, but even at 70mph, I get passed like I'm standing still. The highway police never patroll that section of freeway. It's the Autobahn Shocked
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

ej22 is the most classic subaru bottom end for sure.
SHOULD be respected.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

300K km on my wife's 2000 Subaru, EJ 20... I think... the 2.0L turbo one. Got some piston slap showing up now but I think that is common enough for a Subi. Zero head gasket issue to date. My cousin's EJ22 went well over 500K km with not issues at all.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

Had a '96 Jeep Cherokee Sport awhile back that had around 220K when it developed some oil seepage at the pan. Decided to do an overhaul & drove it to about 250K before selling it to buy a new 2004 Honda Element which went to 260K before the brain went. Engine & trans were still like new.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

My $100 Acura EL is still going as the winter machine. Previous owner overheated it more than once and blew the head gasket, then let it sit for a year. The bores are all scored, the valve guides nicely worn, valves pitted, and has a knock under heavy load. Yet runs perfectly, burns NO oil, and I always drive it with a light foot. This is now year six, and it is nearing 423,000 km. Going to see just how long I can make it last...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

Congratulations, I love the topic of taking care of a machine and in turn giving it a longer life. I know very little about Subaru engines therefore what is the head gasket problem? Poor quality or design? Also is that head gasket a nightmare to replace?

the_benjamin_effect wrote:
Today I reached a milestone some vehicles never attain, and others seem to easily pass. To some here on TS, I'm sure this is no big deal, but this is the highest milage automobile I have ever had, and it shows no signs of ever giving in as of now.

It is a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I've had it for 17 years now. I really haven't treated it as gently as I should have... extended oil changes, impromptu rally driving, got it airborne over a railroad crossing one time. Now in her older years, I treat it with the respect I should have all along, as it has been very good to me. I named it years ago "trusty".

It has given me very little trouble over the years- nothing that has required more than removing the valve cover to replace the seals (valve cover seals, not the dreaded head gasket associated with some year Subaru's). Sure- Brakes, timing belts, clutches, coils packs, etc. but these are just consumable wear items, and I've kept up with regular maintenance as much as I could.

If this engine ever did give out, I'd love to donate it to someone that is willing to take it apart and document the process and findings, as I find that kind of stuff very interesting, to see what the failure was, what did the owner neglect, what was abnormal wear, and such things. I found Jake Raby's "Living in Hell – 160,000 Miles of Service Revealed - A photo documented autopsy" very interesting: https://aircooledtechnology.com/high-mileage-teardown/

Maybe it's second life could be in my own Syncro after a rebuild? Who knows.

To sum this up, I must say that Subaru built an outstanding EJ22 engine that has stood the test of time thus far. Nearly bullet proof... Now if they can just get that head gasket thing under control on other models.

Signing off...
Good Night...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Congratulations, I love the topic of taking care of a machine and in turn giving it a longer life. I know very little about Subaru engines therefore what is the head gasket problem? Poor quality or design?
Thanks! I'm sure other will chime in with the head gasket issues... What the cause is and what not. A google search will come up with all kinds of truths and trolls about the issue.

It appears to be a 2.5 SOHC (EJ25) issue in the later years mostly, but some early 90's as well.

Subaru has a long history of head gasket failures... I dont know why. I had a 1989 Legacy that failed due to HG failure at 220,000 miles. This one I can accept I suppose. We bought my wife a 2009 legacy thinking Subaru had fixed their issue, but hers failed at 160,000 with a HG failure. This is unacceptable in todays standards.

The generation of EJ22 that I have is rock solid. You see them all over, just keeps going. This is my confusion with Subaru... how can you get it so right on this engine.......and not another one? I dunno.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Also is that head gasket a nightmare to replace?
Most will tell you it is easiest to do the job with the engine removed, which is where the extra labor comes into play. Either you pay yourself with time spent on DIY or you pay the mechanic the time you spent working at your 9-5 or whatever. Some will say you can replace with engine in place, but this may be model dependent. It is a flat4, so 2 heads to do, which is twice the labor as an inline 4, and those heads are only inches away from the wheel wells, which makes head removal very difficult, if not impossible from what I understand.
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 million mile EJ22 Reply with quote

^^^ That is pretty much it in a nutshell. Apparently you can use the gaskets designed for the turbo engines to "fix" the problem, but that is after the original blow out and you have to dig in for the fix.

As I recall, the first real common HG issues with Subaru started with the first gen 2.5 DOHC in the mid to late 90's. That is why I have never owned one newer than 95, and only with the EJ22. They did use this engine in some cars into the late 90's, like the Impreza and Legacy Brighton. Thee advantage to those built after 95 or so is the OBDII system. Previous cars only have OBDI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: