Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I am currently cleaning up my 67 Westy turret top,

It looked really bad at first, so I started with a good soap and water clean with a scouring sponge

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This showed up the terrible emulsion paint job

So next up I spent some time with some 120 grit wet and dry paper to rub down the paint.

It's come up well, but what the photos don't show is that it seams to have lost most of the gel coat from the top and has lots of grazing, scratches and scuffs, not very deep but enough to leave the texture quite rough

There are some grazing on the side, and whilst some the gel coat has sanded down and looks ok, there are still lots of lines visible.

Hope they show up in the pics

So the question, is what next?

More sanding, primer and paint?

I have had a search and read up what people suggest, but looking for insights from others.

I have considered leaving as is, as i am not going super shiny resto and will be drving my Bus, not trailering it around Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Renew the gel coat? You can likely find it at a canoe or kayak place or online. I have sone many boats over the years. Its a pretty simple process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
Renew the gel coat? You can likely find it at a canoe or kayak place or online. I have sone many boats over the years. Its a pretty simple process.

Second that. That top will deteriorate fast without its gel coat.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Yeah, there really isn't anything you can put on top of those cracks that won't start cracking again soon.

Remove all the hardware, sand off the remains of the old gel and spray or roll on multiple coats of fresh gel, then wet sand smooth and buff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Power washing wouldn’t be a bad idea also. That will help clean the cracks before putting anything on top. I do that on my pool furniture (poly wood) every spring to get the mold algae and dirt off

Ken
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Any chance of taking some pics of the mounting hardware while you have it laying there?

There are polyester fillers that you can use that the body shop guys use on fiberglass but from everything I have seen they all shrink back over time and you can see the repairs in the right light. It depends on how nice of a resto you are going for, but I agree that the “right” way is new gel coat…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

There is/was a guy in Arizona who made/molded brand new pop-tops, and another guy (a great friend of mine) in the Phoenix area who has re-fabricated the aluminum pop-top scissors mechanisms from scratch and they turned out very nice...

I'm just sayin".

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Well I spent another day sanding the top down with 320 grit wet and dry and then over the top with 1200 wet and dry, and whilst it looks good, I think there is too much gel coat missing on top.

So I will look into getting some gelcoat sorted

Braukuche wrote:
earlywesty wrote:

Second that. That top will deteriorate fast without its gel coat.

and follow your advice Smile

House wrote:
Any chance of taking some pics of the mounting hardware while you have it laying there?

There are polyester fillers that you can use that the body shop guys use on fiberglass but from everything I have seen they all shrink back over time and you can see the repairs in the right light. It depends on how nice of a resto you are going for, but I agree that the “right” way is new gel coat…

Here are fixings pictures.

They came off with a bit of effort, the nuts seams to be 8mm but they were so rusty I used a 7mm and 6mm plus had to cut some off, but with a bit of penetrating fluid there were not too hard to remove.

The top washers had a sticky putty under them, like the stuff you ft the jalousie windows with.

Let me know if you want to see the scissor lifts, as I removed them too, to clean up and sort before I put it all back together.

Next step is to find a supplier for the gelcoat in the right colour.

I hope I can find a stockist in the UK.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

demo four wrote:
Let me know if you want to see the scissor lifts, as I removed them too, to clean up and sort before I put it all back together.

Cool, thanks. Interested in seeing the scissor to top and scissor to body hardware if you still have it handy…
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

House wrote:
demo four wrote:

Cool, thanks. Interested in seeing the scissor to top and scissor to body hardware if you still have it handy…

I took a few detail pics of so42 poptop here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Saw those, they were helpful, thanks Clara.
Sorry for the thread hijacking demo four.
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

House wrote:
demo four wrote:

That's all good, when I clean them up the weekend I will take some pics for you.

I am missing the side from the top, so I will be interested to find out what I am missing.

Last edited by demo four on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

House wrote:
Clara wrote:

Saw those, they were helpful, thanks Clara.
Sorry for the thread hijacking demo four.

That's all cool, I have started this thread for a bit of a resto how to, so other people can benefit from the pictures and information people add in.

I have done searches and Clara has lots of cool pictures, so hopefully this will add into the resources on here too and add the missing parts when other people do searches. Very Happy
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

House wrote:

When you get around to the canvas portion, this might help. Make note of how the canvas/wood/top are connected.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670226
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Nice thread, thanks.
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
House wrote:

When you get around to the canvas portion, this might help. Make note of how the canvas/wood/top are connected.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670226

That is a very helpful thread, I have also read it a few times when I have been researching what to do.

I got my canvas from Helmut, but I plan to reuse the original strip as its in good shape. I am missing all the bottom fixings so I am going to have to get replacements.
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

After a bit of a break, I am back to restoring my pop top.

Stripped and cleaned the front hinge mechanism. It was dirty and had loads of over spray, so a bit of degreaser, wire brush, 120 grit and some polishing paste its looking a whole load better.

Part way through, took about 20 mins a part.

Super shiny Cool

My only question is should the one bar be bent? I did not think so, but thought I best ask before I straighten it out.

demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

Today I stripped down and cleaned the right hand hinge.

Came up pretty well, nice and shiny and the muck and overspray came off in about 2 hours.

When doing the side with the spring, remember to hold it tight as you undo the first nut!

half way there Cool

Super shiny Very Happy

When reassembling the spring, I found it better to do the sliding side first. tightening it up super tight and this enabled it to be easier to pull the spring and fit the second side with only minimum effort to stretch it over the other bolt and attach the nut.

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

I've always been curious about the adjustment capability of the spring on our 1966 SO44 pop top.

I've only seen a couple of others like it in other peoples pictures.

Does yours have any such thing?

Your're doing a great job!
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Westy Turret Top (pop top) restoration Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
I've always been curious about the adjustment capability of the spring on our 1966 SO44 pop top.

I've only seen a couple of others like it in other peoples pictures.

Does yours have any such thing?

Your're doing a great job!

Thanks, I am quite enjoying it, I just wish I had more time!

Mine is just a massive spring! It's fully loaded too, as it was a good job I was holding it when I undid the nut.

I have seen your picture, but mine has no adjustment at all. For now I have not tightened everything up fully, as I was going to see how it feels, once it is all fitted in the bus. I think that would be useful to have an adjuster, as the mechanism packs a punch!

The spring looks a little smaller than mine too, and the ends don't have any thing that indicate that a adjuster has been fitted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: