Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Those little tins go at the rear of the cylinder heads. So nearest you as you look at the engine.

Nice progress. Putting them together is always so much more rewarding than taking them apart!
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Finally got it running. All good except for the paint on the exhaust decided to burn off causing some panic and white smoke. I am still not sure why.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Looks like it is turning out nicely! - still have trouble getting past those nasty rear fenders and wheels but those are easily changed when you guys come to your senses Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

buzzlatka wrote:
All good except for the paint on the exhaust decided to burn off causing some panic and white smoke. I am still not sure why.

Did you use paint that's specifically engineered for high temperatures?
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

I didn't use any paint. It was the grey paint or primer on the aftermarket exhaust.
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Public service announcement. Make sure you properly torque and cotter pin the left rear axle nut. If you don't the wheel and drum will depart the car after 41 miles of driving. No brakes will work and the car will skid to a stop on the brake backing plate. Luckily no one was hurt and other than ego, only the backing plate was damaged. Needed new seals, and Kombi Haus in Sac had a rusty backing plate that I cleaned up and now thing are running smoothly.

Car pops out of second when unloading the throttle and is very difficult to shift from 3rd back into 2nd. I don't think this can be repaired, I think I am looking at a transmission rebuild.
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

New Transaxle is installed and motor back in. Just a few odds and ends left. One of those odds and ends is the door roll up windows and vent window. We finally got rain in Sacramento so I guess I should make sure all the windows are in.

I looked at getting the transaxle sent away and rebuilt by a socal shop, or the one in Bend OR. It would have cost me a lot in shipping. Bugformance actually had one in stock but couldn't take the core because it was a 6v. It saved me a lot of time.
Transaxle core is for sale in the classifieds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573307

buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Well my our vw bug experience is coming to an end. This was a father/son project for my 16 year old. We spent 9 months restoring this car, learning all sorts of skills, and troubleshooting issues. It was fun and he loves driving it. Like a lot of these projects the safety concerns of driving this to school daily have weighed heavily on my wife. She prefers him to have a more modern car with better safety features. I would love to keep this as a weekend driver, but can't. It is now for sale. The project has been fun!
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Even added original rear fenders and wheels/tires. I also took the advice of another member and added hub caps and running boards.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

buzzlatka wrote:
Even added original rear fenders and wheels/tires. I also took the advice of another member and added hub caps and running boards.

The car looks great. Very Happy
Good luck with the sale.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: