Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst Shifter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

There is also a guy selling premade bottom plates in the classifieds for about $30 I think. I was told they are not hardened steel like original Hurst so you may need to do that prior to install though.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
.... I was told they are not hardened steel like original Hurst so you may need to do that prior to install though.
There's nothing you can do to mild steel to make it hard. Mild steel can't be heat treated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

KarmannTed wrote:

.... I think you are referring to the bottom plate (I do have the flat one mounted that came with the kit, no problems there). BUT, the one I'm referring to is actually within the shifter itself. It prevents from hitting reverse unless the trigger is activated. Here are some pictures from other posts, showing the correct /mounted piece, and a loose one (like the one I'm sadly missing since the PO didn't mind to keep it when it came loose (probably due to the lousy EMPI spot-welding?).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The reverse lockout wall extends to a height of 8mm above the bottom plate.
The foot of it is 15mm wide on the outside.
It's 48mm long.
The steel is 1.9mm thick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KarmannTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
KarmannTed wrote:

.... I think you are referring to the bottom plate (I do have the flat one mounted that came with the kit, no problems there). BUT, the one I'm referring to is actually within the shifter itself. It prevents from hitting reverse unless the trigger is activated. Here are some pictures from other posts, showing the correct /mounted piece, and a loose one (like the one I'm sadly missing since the PO didn't mind to keep it when it came loose (probably due to the lousy EMPI spot-welding?).

The reverse lockout wall extends to a height of 8mm above the bottom plate.
The foot of it is 15mm wide on the outside.
It's 48mm long.
The steel is 1.9mm thick.

Thanks everyone! I followed these exact dimensions, and worked like a charm since the 1st try. Reverse lockout is working great, no more confusion and effort to find the correct allignment for 1st and 2nd gear. Saved me from buying a brand new shifter!
ROBST3R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

Hi all.
I have a trigger shifter of empi and I see the spring is out and I don’t have a clue how to fit this. I can’t find a single picture.
I attached some pictures and hoping someone can tell me where to put the big spring.

[/img]
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

Your spring is bent, at the top in your image.

If I remember correctly (IIRC), The spring fits over the dimple as seen in the image above. It presses against the shift ball, horizontally.

Welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ROBST3R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Happy to be here.

So if I bend the spring back and put it on these two points it should ok?
I see nothing on the shifter ball where to put the spring on, so it can jump away now

SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

On mime there is a little nipple on that round piece above your bottom circle. The spring goes there. It is dirty but this shows it.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
On mime there is a little nipple on that round piece above your bottom circle. The spring goes there. It is dirty but this shows it.

^^^ This.

There's actually two balls on those shift levers. I meant the upper one, of course.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ROBST3R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

[quote="67rustavenger"]
SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:

There's actually two balls on those shift levers. I meant the upper one, of course.

Thank you for the replies. What I also noticed is that the bal is out of the plastic plates, does anyone know how to get it back in? This is the reason the spring isn’t attached anymore.
Hope you have an answer/solution

It is really special that the ball can be out, because the middle diameter from the ball is wider then the hole

EDIT: I think I have to get the upper plastic plate off by drilling the rivets off, then put the ball in the lower plate and put the upper plate over the ball again

It is really special that the ball can be out, because the middle diameter from the ball is wider then the hole

All the best

All the best

SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

Something isn't right there. The ball should seat into the white pieces and only have one set of holes in it. Personally I would get another shifter and keep that one around for parts.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

[quote="ROBST3R"]
67rustavenger wrote:
SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:

Thank you for the replies. What I also noticed is that the bal is out of the plastic plates, does anyone know how to get it back in? This is the reason the spring isn’t attached anymore.
Hope you have an answer/solution

EDIT: I think I have to get the upper plastic plate off by drilling the rivets off, then put the ball in the lower plate and put the upper plate over the ball again

All the best

All the best

I believe the nylon block goes on after the shifter ball is in place. That's what holds shifter down.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: