Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powder coating seat adjustment knobs
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Powder coating seat adjustment knobs Reply with quote

Hi,

The early 60's ghia seatback adjustment (outer) knobs have a plastic piece embedded in them:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wanted to powdercoat the frames and knobs. But, the powder painter pointed out that this plastic would melt. Any non-destructive ways of getting these out? Or, has anyone found any suitable replacement material?

Thanks
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: powder coating seat adjustment knobs Reply with quote

Wow. I never thought that powder coating would make any heat.
I guess I’m learning something.
That’s such an obscure part too. I don’t recall ever seeing any repops of any kind.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: powder coating seat adjustment knobs Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of powder coating. It doesn't bond to the surface. It cracks and opens the "protected" surface to moisture and an oxygen starved corrosion creeps underneath the coating.

Better to use a good primer that bonds to the surface and add a layer of quality paint on top. It will last longer.

The plastic piece looks like nylon. Maybe a pair of long nose pliers can pull it out of the recess. Possibly you can find some nylon extrusion the same diameter and cut that to length, or maybe from a larger nylon piece, spin something to size on a lathe.

I agree there's unlikely to be something on the market for that item. Air head parts might be your best chance. I had to make a grommet for my ignition switch on my lathe because at the time this weren't available. Later, KGPR made a batch of them. So you never know what might appear... often the struggle is identifying the part name or its number

Nicholas

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Powder coating seat adjustment knobs Reply with quote

I just had a look at the parts book... there are a bunch of Type 1 Beetle parts listed for that area of the seat,

133 881 179......................Spring - Retaining pin ...................... 2 .....up to Chassis No. 148 999 000
133 881 177 A...................... Spring - Retaining pin ...................... 2 ..... from Chassis No. 149 000 001 up lo 142 3200 000
133 881 177 B...................... Spring - Retaining pin ........................2 ..... from Chassis No. 143 2000 001 2
133 881 179 ...................... Retaining pin for backrest adjustment ........................2 .....up to Chassis No. 148 999 000
133 881 179 B...................... Retaining pin for backrest adjustment ........................2 ..... from Chassis No. 149 000 001

Being a beetle part means it is more common likely easier to find

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Powder coating seat adjustment knobs Reply with quote

I think you're onto something there Nicholas, with those Beetle parts. I just found out that that nylon pin is 'springy', meaning there's probably a spring under there. It seems that that area may have been peened over.

Off on more wild goose chases. All I wanted to do is to chrome the seat fore-aft adjustment lever...

Thanks!
Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: