Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Westfalia painted busses thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Westfalia painted busses thread Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
On a side note does anyone know when they changed from having the front tent bumper bracket mounted so the pole sat in front of the overrider

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

versus behind the overrider, and what if any was the thinking behind it?

Only ever seen it behind the overrider.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Westfalia painted busses thread Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
This may not be a complete list - it’s 7am and I am only half way through my first cup of coffee - but I can recall,

Yellow/tan/yellow (September/October ‘55)
Light grey/red/light grey (‘56)
Slightly different yellow/tan/yellow (November ‘55)
Beige/brown/beige (‘56,’5Cool
Light grey/burgundy/light grey (‘56)
Light grey/mouse grey/light grey (‘56/‘57)
Sand green/palm green/sand green (‘56/‘5Cool
Light grey/dark blue/light grey (‘5Cool
White/black/white (‘59)
Light blue/blue/light blue (‘59)

I’m sure there are more that I am unaware of and some yet to be found. There are obviously more than 10 westfalia painted survivors (not all are original paint) but maybe not all that much more. They are not super common.

I have always been of the opinion that these buses were probably less likely to survive due to substandard painting practices - or would at least be found in worse condition. The paint is not always as good as what Volkswagen applied, and the coverage is always less - for example the front floor and engine bay were left in primer.

Interesting with the year observations Greg. The photo of them lined up at the factory shows at least two different special paint colours. I would have presumed they were yellow/tan/yellow and sg/pg/sg. I presume the solid colour ones are dove blue. Judging by the bumpers they look like wolfsburg buses?

I agree on the quality of westfalia applied paint. It appears to be very thin and is not near as tough. Stripping layers of re-paint applied on top of westy paint is VERY difficult without removing the thin westy layer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matt.white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Westfalia painted busses thread Reply with quote

Thanks for all the new posts and photos - particularly the list of combinations Greg - I hadn’t realised there were so many known paint schemes.

I’m totally fascinated by these rare buses, and it’s great to see all this knowledge being shared - so does anyone else have more info/photos?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Westfalia painted busses thread Reply with quote

This bus is currently in my garage! Smile

srfndoc wrote:

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Westfalia painted busses thread Reply with quote

matt.white wrote:
Let me start with a couple of images taken from David Eccles’ book VW Camper - The Inside Story

Any others? @Greg. @Lind. @Bastardbus. @VWBoop

Yellow /tan /Yellow Westfalia in David Eccles book is fall 55 built. It's original interior cabinets/Seats were missing so 1957 cabinets where added for now.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Westfalia painted busses thread Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
This bus is currently in my garage! Smile

srfndoc wrote:

Beautiful Westy, congrats!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: