Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I just picked up a new MC for my '77 Beetle, a German made unit by FTE.

This is my first MC replacement and there may be a simple answer for this, but he inlet barbs on the new one are facing the wrong direction compared to my old one.

I'm wondering if they just get rotated by hand, but, before I do that I'm hoping someone can chime in. I actually looked this up and couldn't find any info on it which is strange.

thanks,

Mk

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if they just get rotated by hand

Yes, they will be tight but just turn them without wrenching hard at them
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

Carefully rotate then with your fingers. It'll be a little sticky at first.
But they will rotate.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

Ok great, that's what I thought but I didn't want to screw anything up, thanks ya'll!!!

Mk
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

Use a dropper, drop a few drops of brake fluid on the rubber part, and bend the elbows a little so the brake fluid can penetrate, then gently rotate.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

And save the plastic elbows from the old MC. Can come in real handy if an existing one gets a crack in it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

Ok folks rather than start a new thread, since this is still MC install related, I have a question about the rubber boot/front seal.

Should it be smooshed in like this?

My old one was, but then again my old one was bad so I don't want to assume anything.

Thanks ya'll,

Mk
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

I'd live with it, like that.

If you're concerned. Maybe spray a little lubricant on the shaft and work the MC boot back and forth a bit. To get the rod to slide through easily.

Bring on the crude jokes! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

Should not be smooshed. Slide it over the base of the rod right up towards the nut. It's supposed to fit snug at the base of the rod like a... well a... um, you know.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

You can turn the rubber inlet barbs. You can actually pull them out and replace them as well but I would just turn them very gently. But if you do pop them out it is ok.

As for the seal up front you may just need a dab of grease there.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: New master cylinder...inlet barbs wrong direction? Reply with quote

Thanks folks, everything is groovy here.

MC is installed, I put wiped a little brake fluid on the pedal rod just to give it some lubrication & was easily able to get the rubber boot fully extended. I thought of oil/grease but also figured I wouldn't want any to accidentally make it's way into the MC.

Everything went off without a hitch as far as installation, currently gravity bleeding each wheel which will be followed by bleeding each wheel with the Motive unit.

thanks again,

Mk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: