Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Fellow skier at Snoqualmie Pass, WA. Not parking spot near you - should have a designated area!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Spotted & parked next to a local westy at AZ Snowbowl, early season

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

must be traveling through the central coast. too wet for a ride today?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Had a very nice surprise sighting of a Vanagon Double-cab ("DoKa" in German, for Doppelkabine) on way to my office this morning, in north-eastern New Jersey! Drizzly weather so my crap cellphone camera could not get a sharp image; I enhanced it at home with Photoshop. "Transporter" emblem on the right. Larger than stock-diameter alloy rims. As the road went from single to 2 lanes I finally was able to catch up and pull next to it, then lowered the right window. Could hear the diesel engine, along with a nice turbo whistle as it accelerated. As I got even with the cab, there was nobody in the "driver's" seat- it was a right hand drive! Conventional NJ license plate. Driver was maybe in his 30's with bushy beard. I honked and gave thumbs up, then had to turn off. Montvale, NJ which is way north, just before the New York state border.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

spotted in Kamloops BC a couple years ago-
looking good
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Couple interesting antennas in this van (including one at the top of the windshield?), need to show it to the HAM operator at home to get her input.

There seems to be some flat (slightly rounded) black item at the front of the pop top, could that be another antenna?

Da TOW'D wrote:

spotted in Kamloops BC a couple years ago-
looking good

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

waiting for the ferry crossing to NewFoundland
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

San Jose Del Cabo, Baja spotted in Chedraui parking lot past Weds afternoon. Colorado plates.
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

And another one from the Chedraui grocery store in San Jose Del Cabo, Baja today Very Happy
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake59 wrote:
They are thick as flies here in north Seattle.

Driving north as 3rd ave NW and 85th n in Ballard last week. I was at the light and there was one of us (me is my 87 Westy) on each corner North, South East and West bound.

In the 4-5 block radius of my house here in Fremont (again Seattle)there are at least 10 if not more.

Yeah, I'm in Seattle too, but south (Beacon Hill). Around me they aren't rare but it's nothing like Ballard. I wouldn't be surprised if nowadays the highest Vanagon density world-wide is Ballard/Fremont/Wallingford. Maybe Portland has a similar hotspot.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned to san francisco this week after 2 years away and felt like i saw one on every block

tomtom50 wrote:
Jake59 wrote:

Driving north as 3rd ave NW and 85th n in Ballard last week. I was at the light and there was one of us (me is my 87 Westy) on each corner North, South East and West bound.

In the 4-5 block radius of my house here in Fremont (again Seattle)there are at least 10 if not more.

Yeah, I'm in Seattle too, but south (Beacon Hill). Around me they aren't rare but it's nothing like Ballard. I wouldn't be surprised if nowadays the highest Vanagon density world-wide is Ballard/Fremont/Wallingford. Maybe Portland has a similar hotspot.

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
I returned to san francisco this week after 2 years away and felt like i saw one on every block

tomtom50 wrote:
Jake59 wrote:

I don't know if there's a specific hotspot in Portland, but they're literally everywhere. I see at least one nearly every time I go out somewhere thats more than 10 minutes away. I know where there are around 10 within a 5 mile radius of my home in the suburbs.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I can count eight within 1 mile radius of my house in Salt Lake City. There are three on my block alone.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

For highest Vanagon density, I nominate Santa Cruz California. Ditto for Subarus.

BK
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

To whoever was broke down on the i25 overpass near Mead CO, hopefully you got going again!? Looked like someone was already helping.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

My daughter sent me this while camping in Northern California. The next day another van pull in next to her site, the white one in the background.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Just saw my 3rd Vanagon on the road in the Reading area.
This over a period of 2 years.

Nice Silver colored Westy with a black roof box on it.
This was on Antietam Road in Alsace Twp.

No time for a photo........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I saw this one up in Golden on Saturday. All original '85 AW, still had all of the cabinetry and stuff in it.

They posted it for sale a few months ago on CL for $50k. Shocked

Considering the oxidized paint, dents, stains, and generally worn-in condition, it looked like a $10k project to me. But it is all original, so there's that.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

2/21/23 Saw a red westy with a roof top bag in the luggage rack on Highway 89 North a bit out of Big Water, UT. I was in my syncro coming off a dirt road to the North! no time for a picture
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

BrownEye02 wrote:
To whoever was broke down on the i25 overpass near Mead CO, hopefully you got going again!? Looked like someone was already helping.

That was just the engine donor vehicle pulling up for a swap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Page 166 of 170

Jump to: